POLITICS CORNER

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 13:05 Probably a typo error. We are actually talking £Billions not millions
Just an error not a typo. Billions of course is correct. Up earlier than usual today :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What's a factor of a million between friends? :smile:
PanBiker wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 12:57 Love him or loath him, Jeremy Corbyn will be in the Borough tomorrow. 9.30am Nelson centre by the Library and shuttle.
Take Stanley along to give him a few words of advice! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On a point of information - I think it's a factor of a thousand? But who's counting? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 09:31 Can I ask why Tripps?
They both work in industries which under Labour are to be taken into public ownership.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

But that does not mean that they would be instantly dismissed, why would it?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Fair enough - I should not have said 'very quickly' - but it causes a lot of worry. I'll say no more on the subject now.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Take Stanley along to give him a few words of advice! "
He doesn't need advice, considering the constant attacks and undermining he has had to stand from within the Party and the Tory inspired misinformation campaign it's a wonder he has got this far. In a funny way this is an advantage, it shows that both factions are afraid of him because he speaks the truth as he sees it and he is basically honest and fair. That's how he got the popular vote in the Party twice. This is the basic difference between him and the other leaders with the exception of Nicola Sturgeon. She did the same thing and her advantage was that the Scottish Tories were too weak to mount a propaganda campaign. I live in hopes that he may yet surprise everyone. Now is the time to keep the faith and focus on core messages, Brexit is a distraction, it may yet be seen as such.
Focus on Johnson's reaction to that picture of the poor little lad on the floor in A&E with suspected pneumonia and his eventual response to the questioning.
I still say that this whole election is a misinformation ploy so big that everyone has missed it. The Tory planners aren't stupid, they know that a trade deal can't be effected in time for the end of 2020. That's when they spring the trap and go for No Deal which was always the plan as the way to get control of the money and grind the workers and poor into the ground just like the 19th century. Think about the evidence, everything fits! On Friday the 13th we will find out if they have succeeded.
Did you notice that Trump has thrown a spanner into the World Trade Organisation? Ask yourselves why!
Later, I've been listening to Gauke defending Johnson and also the state of the justice system. Deeply depressing responses on both subjects.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tripps wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 21:30 Fair enough - I should not have said 'very quickly' - but it causes a lot of worry. I'll say no more on the subject now.
I know that worry feeling, I am sure they will be ok in the long run.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wrong above when I said it was Gauke. It was Buckland the Justice secretary.
Sue is right, we all worry about our children. I'm still doing it as they near retirement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've just listened to a BBC Radio 4 programme 'More or less' in which they totally demolished claims by both leading parties.

Labour's claim that the 'average' family would be £6700 better off under them was analysed and it seems that the truth is that actually less than 1/10 of 1% of the number of families would so benefit. You would need two children of a specific age, and both parents in work and using a rail season ticket to qualify. I saw this figure vigorously defended by a shadow Minister (Angela Rayner?) a few days ago. She kept saying 'it's just an average'. She is shadow Minister for education !

The Tories claim that they have reduced 'homelessness' by a huge mount was equally demolished. The guy that made these claims was Sajid Javed the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

The common factor is - all politicians are untrustworthy, and the standard of arithmetic in this country is shocking.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 17:28 On a point of information - I think it's a factor of a thousand? But who's counting? :smile:
Oh yes, I'd forgotten we've gone American. Well spotted!
The `More or Less' this morning is the 2nd of two special episodes. If you missed the first it was same time last week. Worth listening too (as always).

Here's some more fact checking from the BBC Reality Check team: `General election 2019: The campaign's most controversial numbers' LINK

...and this from the same people on last night's event: `General election 2019: Question Time under-30s fact-checked' LINK

It was interesting to hear Hugh Grant on `Today' this morning. He said that most of the latest Brexit polls show that there is now a majority for Remain. I wondered if this was true and did a search - it's correct as detailed in this Evening Standard article from October (you have to scroll past the all the unrelated video and graphics at the top)...
`Brexit news latest: Poll of polls says Britain is now against leaving EU as most want to stay ' LINK
The situation now is that the people want to Remain and the politicians have known all along that it was in our best interests to remain. So why are we persisting with this dangerous project? We've allowed some extremists to hijack government and create a false sense of `needing to get it done'. It's time to step back and think again.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

At last we hear a politician John Ashworth telling us the truth. In an unguarded moment to a 'mate', we learn what he really thinks.

Jonathon Ashworth MP. Shadow Health Secretary

He has just been pulled from an interview on Radio 5, and I guess he will join Mr Rees Mogg in the outer darkness for the rest of the week. In fact I think he's finished in the Labour party for ever. That's what you get for saying what you really think. :smile:

PS. His defence is that it was just 'banter' between mates. Yeah right. . .
Ex mates I'd say now.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Back from the Jeremy Corbyn rally in Nelson. If he can travel 200 miles to talk to us I can travel 5 miles to listen. Difficult to quantify the number of people attending possibly 300 to 400 who were willing to stand for ½ a hour under rain leaden sky to hear him speak. Obviously on home ground with a more than favorable audience he showed far more personality than I've seen on TV. Talked for about 20 mins with far more passion and directness than seen before. Totally unscripted he moved through the complete range of subjects with a logical flow that was easy to follow. A good delivery and worth listening to.
Sally and her associates of WASPIE fame joined the platform to add some local colour to the stage.

Dare I say it without appearing too bias but I don't thing anybody has anything to fear from him becoming Prime Minister.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I've got to admit that I like his style. He doesn't seem to get flustered when under attack. He also seems more down-to-earth than a lot of MPs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been listening to the 'news' and it's par for the course for the last days of a GE campaign. Shock horror items delivered by Tory and Labour parties causing minor ripples in the chattering classes.
Nothing fundamental is changed. Perhaps the main real news story to emerge this morning is the economic numbers, basically the economy is still flat lining and only 'service' industries are holding up. (As long as you discount what's happening in retail trade). The real money earners, construction and manufacturing are still tanking. So much for Sajid Javez and his assertion that we have a healthy economy, shades of George Osborne and his elusive 'economic miracle'. That's why the Labour Keynesian plan of deficit financing at low interest is the way to go.
The core assertions being made by Labour still hold good. Let's hope common sense and logic still exist out there!
"Dare I say it without appearing too bias but I don't thing anybody has anything to fear from him becoming Prime Minister."
Dead right P. He's not ideal but he's the best bet in a bad bunch (excepting Nicola of course, she is exceptional!).
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Supplementary to Plaques post, here are some photo's from Ghetty Images:

Jeremy Corbyn Rally Nelson

Sally and others were invited on the stage as representatives of the WASPI campaign. She was also interviewed on camera by Sky News. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

some more images Corbyn Rally. Your embeded OG reporter can be seen #3 image. Centre picture, White hair no beard.
PS I wish to remain anonymous Plaques.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Your secret is safe with me P :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Jonathan Ashworth is bravely appearing on the Iain Dale prog on LBC ('long standing engagement') and he's still digging. Performance well up to Prince Andrew standards. :smile:

He either keeps this nonsense up or quits I'd say. If what he forecasts comes true he may not have a problem after Friday.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 18:48 some more images Corbyn Rally.
Where did they find so many white people in Nelson? Did they bus them in specially for the rally? :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

a) There's something wrong with your eyesight China and b) That was entirely inappropriate. Shame on you.
Ashworth is a dick, that's the worst thing about him and he can't explain that away.
There is a full moon on Thursday, the Ancients would say a good portent of change.
One thing that caught my attention. When I clicked on the link to the images above Firefox warned me that the Facebook site was trying to track me and it had been blocked. Sneaky buggers!
Later, Remember my comment about Trump blocking appointments to the WTO appeal court? A statement this morning from the chair of the organisation that this has crippled their work as they now have no sanctions, they will have to start reorganising immediately. Not good news for anyone relying on WTO rules for trade agreements. Now who could that be......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 03:00 There is a full moon on Thursday, the Ancients would say a good portent of change.
I'm sorry to have to tell you this but it may be a bad portent for the weather. Thursday will see a swathe of heavy rain sweeping across England and there will be snow falling from Edinburgh, down the Pennines as far as Derbyshire. No, I'm not joking, that's the latest forecast. It will probably affect turn out unless it's balanced by people being so fired up about the election they'll defy the elements and make their mark on the voting slip. On the other hand, many people are so fed up with it all they might just not bother. Who knows? Which is also the answer to `Who will win the election?' Who knows? The Tories are leading in the polls and most commentators are saying it'll be either a close Tory win or a hung Parliament.

I'm voting for the LibDems. I don't want either of the big parties to be in full control, it's time we had a change from them, we need a complete overhaul. The two big parties are like that parrot in the Monty Python sketch, dead, deceased. Now don't take this to mean I'm in support of the national LibDem Party, I've got problems with all the parties, but here in Taunton it's always a close run thing between LibDem and Tory and we currently need to get rid of Rebecca Pow (Con, Under-Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport). So my vote is aimed at making a local change.

For anyone needing help with making their choice of who to vote for, Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert. com) has provided this guide to information: LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 10:04 I'm sorry to have to tell you this but it may be a bad portent for the weather. Thursday will see a swathe of heavy rain sweeping across England and there will be snow falling from Edinburgh, down the Pennines as far as Derbyshire. No, I'm not joking, that's the latest forecast. It will probably affect turn out unless it's balanced by people being so fired up about the election they'll defy the elements and make their mark on the voting slip.
On the other hand the Conservatives are so far ahead in the polls that the result is a forgone conclusion. With the vast majority of the postal votes in their favor the Conservatives don't really need to turn out to win.

This is probably the most divisive election campaign ever. All that Johnson is promising with his 'Get Brexit Done' is to make poor people poorer and rich people richer. This is not just my opinion but that of the majority of the economists that have studied the subject. Then we have wall to wall lies and disinformation. The majority initiated by the right-wing media aided by press releases from No 10. Strange how when things were nationalized we had to introduce competition to the market to minimize bureaucracy. Then having privatised these industries and utilities its now good to have monopolies and cartels to maximize profit and dividends. And who picks up these profits? Sorry no prizes.
Too late in the day to put everything to right in the next five years but its better than believing Johnson and going downhill at a faster pace than ever.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It would be a kindness to we late self diagnosed mild Aspergers sufferers who find these thing difficult, if you could indicate which parts of a post are ironic. :laugh5:

How do you know the result of the postal votes?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

How do you know the result of the postal votes? Well, yes, ahum, let me think. Get Brexit Done. (punching air with left hand). But what did draw my attention to it was that the Conservative letter I received said ' Your postal vote is on its way, let us know if you have not received it'. Was this just a guess on post codes, age group or some inside knowledge? I did read somewhere that older folk tend to use postal voting and by extension are predominantly Conservative. As for the remainder of my post just ignore it like everybody else does.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”