Post by Tripps »

Fair enough. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: POLITICS CORNER

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 06 May 2022, 12:58
Stanley wrote: 06 May 2022, 12:52 The two results you questioned David were in alphabetical order.
They are always presented and declared at the count in alphabetical order. The same as they are listed on the ballot paper.
I often wonder how many votes just put X against the first three candidates
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Their ballot would be void if they did unless of course there were three candidates to be elected.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sloppy BBC local reporting again, Mum's local council gets a mention Lab retain by Lib Dems make gains ( BBC reports as Gains from Tories but it is also Gains from Labour )

I think Sunak got the economy view wrong last Spring (April) Statement. He was hoping that he could bank large tax take for a tax giveaway just before the next general election (or at least a promise of tax reduction). Inflation has accelerated up, and even if record numbers are in some kind of work, it remains where not in the public sector, fragile and often not permanent paying regular hours;

Are The BBC going to continue to ignore Green Party ?
Last edited by Whyperion on 06 May 2022, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 06 May 2022, 13:24 I think Sunak got the economy view wrong last Spring (April) Statement. He was hoping that he could bank large tax take for a tax giveaway just before the next general election (or at least a promise of tax reduction). Inflation has accelerated up, and even if record numbers are in some kind of work, it remains where not in the public sector, fragile and often not permanent paying regular hours;
Now we are in the post mortem phase of the local elections there are numerous experts making predictions on everything under the sun. From the current gains V losses there is much speculation whether the Tories will go for an early election on the premise that things could get worse as the years unfold which on the present outlook of sustained inflation, slump in the economy, reduced trade with the EU and continued high fuel prices makes sense.

Putting on my Terry Pratchett (Making Money) hat I will offer up this solution as a way out of their dilemma. The 'MONIAC' the first analogue economy prediction machine. A bit out of date now but better than what they are using at the moment.

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

How quaint - it caters for a situation where the Government's income exceeds its expenditure. :smile:

Here's a headline I never imagined seeing again Lutfur Rahman
The urge to serve his community must be powerful in this gentleman. What next - seeing Keith Vaz back wouldn't surprise me. :smile:

I think Labour needs to go back to basics and re brand. The current format has served its purpose.
This would not be a bad template. Failsworth Independent Party

I'm thinking of joining as a 'country member'. I've done dafter things. . . .:smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, the eye has been keeping a very close eye on Lutfur Rahman and this report is bad news.
I look at the reports of the elections and the thing that strikes me is that the BBC seem to have an anti-Labour bias and I wonder whether it's anything do do with Mad Nad's threats to cut funding. If Labour had lost a quarter of the seats they contested obituaries would be in order. Why does this not apply to the Tories.
I have said for years that the policy of Austerity would finally catch up with the Tories and remove them from government. We have all the recent woes added and whilst an economy crippled by Covid , Brexit and 'Events Dear Boy' is a relatively slow burner, in the end it will make them unelectable. So yes, there will be mutterings about an early election.
And yes David. Starmer hasn't yet achieved break through, the fall in the Tory Vote is down to the Tories own mismanagement, not the attraction of Labour. We need a charismatic leader for today's media driven politics and I'm afraid Starmer doesn't do charisma. He reminds me of John Major in his days as PM.
Looking over the Irish Sea, I reckon the rise of Sinn Fean spells the eventual end of the artificial division of the Ireland. That will solve all the Brexit problems!
Later... I see the Telegraph refers to 'fears' that Union may now be on the cards after the Sinn Fein success. That's the attitude that will cause trouble if and when it happens. Partition has been nothing but trouble.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It has just struck me... when does the Sue Gray report get published? The word was that it's terrible for Johnson. Do you think he might be delaying it?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 07 May 2022, 03:18 Later... I see the Telegraph refers to 'fears' that Union may now be on the cards after the Sinn Fein success. That's the attitude that will cause trouble if and when it happens. Partition has been nothing but trouble.
Northern Ireland is enjoying being in a position that it can trade with both the UK and the Common Market block. Creating good trading conditions is the fundamental tenet of the Common market reducing internal tensions making war between countries less likely. We, the UK. in our wisdom have chosen to leave our trading block sinking the economy and reducing living standards. If Northern Ireland were to do the same not only would their economy tank but possibly fall back into the 'Troubles' that we saw before the Good Friday Agreement. The rise of Sinn Féin into a more power sharing roll may be the start of a united Ireland.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 07 May 2022, 03:18 Starmer hasn't yet achieved break through, the fall in the Tory Vote is down to the Tories own mismanagement, not the attraction of Labour. We need a charismatic leader for today's media driven politics and I'm afraid Starmer doesn't do charisma. He reminds me of John Major in his days as PM.
Great minds think alike Stanley. I just said exactly the same to Sally yesterday. He comes over as a "grey man" no fire. Just like Major, didn't someone once say that being taken to task by Major was like being worried by a wet sheep!

Andy Burnham would do for me, he has not said never but not while he is in post as mayor.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 07 May 2022, 08:46 Just like Major, didn't someone once say that being taken to task by Major was like being worried by a wet sheep!
Actually it was Denis Healey talking about Geoffrey Howe.

Like being savaged by a dead sheep.”

Starmer's greyness is probably his teflon coating against the right-wing press. I was and still am a fan of Corbyn's policies but he ran foul of the media because of his personal image and possibly collecting up some of the more extreme left followers. Starmer is doing the opposite by appealing to the more sane Conservatives and not rocking the boat too much. Angela Rayner is his attack dog and we can already see the Tory playbook of personal attacks.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 07 May 2022, 09:16 Actually it was Denis Healey talking about Geoffrey Howe.
Not much difference really. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We need radical policies and fiery delivery, clearly articulated. Yes, Burnham might do. Starmer doesn't cut it. We need a movement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Strange beast Labour these days. I'm struggling with the news that they won Wandsworth and Westmister, but lost Hull. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite! I have never seen the public treatment of politics so disjointed. I have a theory it is because society itself is out of joint. Your post about the strange religious' initiative in Barlick illustrates the same unease and disruption.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Bear in mind that London has long ceased to be an English city. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, it's now what is euphemistically called 'global'. But that doesn't mean there has to be a break-down in society. That's down to government mismanagement in this case.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Pendle area was described as unique in the latest local elections. Its certainly is unique to a point of defying gravity. It has a Conservative MP and a Conservative run Council which is at odds with the living standards within its boundaries. Either the population are extreme optimists or completely oblivious to the decay and deterioration that's going on round them.
Here are a few facts from the 2021 Lancashire profile league tables. Pendle

The population growth is stagnant but the birth rate is one of the highest in England.
The new housing requirements (households) is now 4.1% against the original 11.1% which begs the question why so much land is allocated for building.
The authority has the highest level of vacant properties.
Has the highest rate of fuel poverty in Lancashire.
The 2019 Indices of Deprivation reveals that Pendle was the 36th most deprived area out of 317 districts and unitary authorities in England, when measured by the rank of average LSOA rank. In total, 31.6% of the lower super output areas in the authority were among the 10% most deprived in the country.
Personal income in below the Lancashire average.

However, if the general opinion is that the Conservatives will get them out of this cauldron of poverty then so be it.
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

plaques wrote: 08 May 2022, 08:27
Here are a few facts from the 2021 Lancashire profile league tables. Pendle

The population growth is stagnant but the birth rate is one of the highest in England.
This proves the fact that I was told when I moved to Barlick - 'Everytime a baby is born, a man leaves town...'
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here in Somerset big changes are afoot. The four present local council areas are to be merged into a unitary authority on 1st April 2023. A referendum was held in which the public was strongly against the plan and wanted to keep local councils. No surprise then that the government over-ruled it (Rebecca Pow is the MP Con Pow ). Perhaps also no surprise that the LibDems swept the board in the local elections.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Now that the media and police have latched onto Starmer's alleged transgression of beer drinking we may get a double whammy. After taking the high ground on multiple occasions and demanding Bozo Boris's immediate resignation, what is a Knight of the Realm to do if he gets a fine? Surely he will have to fall on his sword. Would this also make BJ's position even more untenable if he were to do that.? This could be a bonus for both parties. :extrawink:

Every clod has a silver lining. :laugh5:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ha! just noticed the typo on the last line, I think I will leave it. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 08 May 2022, 10:48 Ha! just noticed the typo on the last line, I think I will leave it
Good. . . :smile:

If Labour cannot do well here especially after reading Plaques' litany of misery, and a loyal soldier plots his leader's downfall, then surely it's time for a Ctrl Alt Delete? :smile:

I heard this lady on the radio this morning - stood as a Tory in Ramsbottom. Amazing back story. Impressed me but didn't get elected though. Jihyun Park

PS "alleged transgression of beer drinking"

I don't think the transgression was drinking beer, but contravening the Covid laws regarding groups gathering? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I had exactly the same devious thoughts about Starmer as Ian has evidently been having. Another card carrying Labour Party member courting expulsion!
Read THIS and consider the damage Brexit has and is still doing to 'the Union'. It's ironic that it's the Conservative and Union Party that is presiding over this shambles. I have long been of the opinion that the partition of Ireland in order to retain a colony on the island was part of a long running historic mistake. Pressure is going to build from now on for a referendum on unification and that it turn will trigger the movement for independence in Wales and Scotland. Add this to the litany of mistakes the Tories have made and it's not only Pendle that's sleepwalking through the voting process.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Bank of England's doom and gloom and interest rate rise has dropped the £ exchange rate against the $ to 1,22. Since the price of oil is set in $'s and Europe are cutting back on Russian oil it looks like the high energy prices are here to stay. Also, a lower £ makes imports more expensive and now that we are in the process of closing our farms down it could mean higher food prices.
In another act of economic madness our government looks like its trying to keep the DUP support by promising a withdrawal from the Brexit protocol, totally illegal and probably heading with a trade war with the EU. If this bit of self inflicted insanity takes place look forward to another round of price rises and more small businesses going bust.
Now that we can see that the inmates have taken charge of the asylum any compassion for the poor is thrown out of the window. Its now all about 'Save Boris' and hang the rest.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”