CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Post by Whyperion »

there are a few ways out. Amazon and rainforest re-forestation (this will mean less corned beef on the menu folks, sorry). USA (sorry) folk will have to stop eating for three, (and UK for two), plus some better efficiencies in food distribution.
As to Power (electric), a review of the top 10 carbon emitting plants, while statistically a bit of a meaningless approach to take, does show that one in Poland coal powered is 'inefficient' so there is scope to look at how this can be improved, switched to other power or replaced for its usage by other sustainable means. Perhaps we should ban Bitcoin and similar as this can take a couple of power stations to verify and 'mine'. We could look at how we use concrete in buildings and consider re-use more of existing buildings when sound rather than continual replacement. The consideration of California and brown-outs is as much to do with an old distribution system that private companies have not invested in renewal at a fast enough pace rather than an unbalanced supply to demand. The south of england might have had high rainfall but I remain convinced that much of the ground flooding is a drainage system that is blocked and abused, but additional interceptors and less tarmac concrete surfaces will be desirable in the future.

There are a couple of YT vids on Heatpumps and how and where best used , (or not used), plus more efficent heat exchanger systems - which will be needed for fresh air systems to avoid covid and other in the future anyway
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Peter for the sources, I didn't know about them but recognise crap when I see it.
David, sorry if I upset you but stuff like that annoys me intensely and it seems I am not the only one.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's late -

I bumped into a radio interview this morning on Times Radio I think, with a lady whose voice I didn't recognise. She was asked by the interviewer, who said he drove a hybrid, if she drove an electric car. "No" she replied -" I have an eight year old third hand, diesel Golf. I have two young children, and my parents live 250 miles away in different directions, so I need to be able to get there if necessary, and can't afford to make the necessary stops to recharge the battery". She said she lived in London, and didn't use the car much, and she had a bad leg at the moment and wasn't driving hardly at all.

So that's all good as they say in W1. Similar position to myself then. . . . .

Seems she is Allegra Stratton. who not needing her new Downing Street studio, is away - along with Alok Sharma - currently organising COP 26 soon to be held in Glasgow. Count them - there have been 25 previous ones! Where would we be now without them?

Do as I say. . . etc :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She was on Today David being interviewed about Cop Out 26. No clear answers to any of the questions put to her. Lots of 'we're looking at that' and 'I can't anticipate the report that will come in due course'. I can't help thinking that in the job description there's a line about keeping the public off the government backs. Everything gets kicked down the road.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reports coming in of the hottest winter weather ever recorded in Chile.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian report on the Gulf Stream. I'm listening to a discussion on R4 and the man who is expert in these matters says that it's not true that there is a danger of the Gulf Stream shutting down. He says that what is happening is that the Gulf Stream is moving south and whilst this will indeed cool the North Atlantic down there are potentially bigger issues for Africa.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Guardian has been following the Potsdam work and reporting on it for about 6 months. It's a serious debate and needs more attention. There's plenty of evidence for the Gulf stream having collapsed in the past a number of times. There's also confusion about whether `collapse' or `change direction' is the most appropriate description. Even a small change in the route taken would have drastic consequences, especially when we have so much disruption in the world from war, famine and migration.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 23:04 It's late -

I bumped into a radio interview this morning on Times Radio I think, with a lady whose voice I didn't recognise. She was asked by the interviewer, who said he drove a hybrid, if she drove an electric car. "No" she replied -" I have an eight year old third hand, diesel Golf.
mums local borough is charging diesel cars a premium for on street parking permits - on the grounds of reducing CO2 , cannot see how a static car uses CO2 but the councils do pick and choose what they go for as reduction targets.

Though it looks like central govt are using local govt to do their dirty work basically.

Boris J praising Maggie T for shutting the Coal Mines leading to some UK CO2 reductions (we wont talk about the problems of Biomass, Natural Gas Use or that manufactured stuff outsourced to China building coal stations and mines to power our desire for goods).
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Whyperion wrote: 06 Aug 2021, 10:16 Boris J praising Maggie T for shutting the Coal Mines leading to some UK CO2 reductions (we wont talk about the problems of Biomass, Natural Gas Use or that manufactured stuff outsourced to China building coal stations and mines to power our desire for goods).
Or the complete decimation of entire communities.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Boris's remark, or attempted joke was crass, ill judged, and it would have been better for him to have quickly said so and rowed back. He won't of course. None of them ever do! It won't be welcomed by his new Red Wall MP's. and will be damaging to them.

It's customary on the w.w.cobweb, in response to topic of the closing of mines by Mrs T to say - 'ah yes but in fact Labour closed more mines than the Tories'.

I wondered if it was true and gave it a few minutes (the usual endurance of my attention span these days) research. Seems that arithmetically it's true , but as usual a lot more complicated than that. Obviously all mines are closed eventually when they run out of coal, and not all mines are the same. It's more likely that a lot of small uneconomic mines will be closed first. There can be no doubt I'd say, quite apart from the numbers, that Mrs Thatchers motivation was quite different to that of Labour leaders.

We can safely file that assertion under 'false comparisons'

I lived next door to a miner in Dover, during the strike in 1984 (?) and remember him getting food parcels delivered to his house. All the Kent coalfield is gone now, and just a memory.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Co-operative Society sent a lot of food parcels to miners David.
I alluded to the mine closures under Thatcher in another topic not long ago. You're right David about the raw numbers, I found this in a Wiki article on the mines:
"Between 1947 and 1994, some 950 mines were closed by UK governments. Clement Attlee’s Labour government closed 101 pits between 1947 and 1951; Macmillan (Conservative) closed 246 pits between 1957 and 1963; Wilson (Labour) closed 253 in his two terms in office between 1964 and 1976; Heath (Conservative) closed 26 between 1970 and 1974; and Thatcher (Conservative) closed 115 between 1979 and 1990"
You are also correct in saying that there are sometimes good reasons for closure. The thing about Thatcher's closures is that her reasons were far from being sound economic decisions. It was obvious that widespread closures would cause mass unemployment and consequent social cost but Thatcher was hell bent on attacking the unions backed by Keith Joseph and it was she who brought in the Canadian hit man, was his name McPherson? She could afford it because the UK was getting such a good return from North Sea Oil. While she spent that money on financing unemployment to bring the workers to heel the Norwegian government used a proportion of it to create a wealth fund which is one of the biggest sovereign funds in the world. It was a shameful episode, the consequences of which are still evident today. Hence the outrage expressed after Johnson's crass remark. As one of the survivors said yesterday, he should go and look at the sink estates that the policy created in the North and Scotland when the economic heart was ripped out of communities without proper preparation and systems to cushion the blow.
It's pertinent in Barlick because we would have gone the same way in the 1930s but for the advent of Hitler creating the need for the Shadow Factories that saved our bacon when textiles collapsed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A new phrase has entered discussions on climate change. Scientists say that we have moved beyond change and should now be talking about 'Climate Chaos'. Looking at the news I am forced to agree with them.
See THIS BBC report on the latest IPCC report.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The report has been published today. Our response will be to set up a committee to examine the report and make recommendations as to what actions to take. This committee will take note of proposals from other G7 countries and endeavour to work in unison to obtain a common solution. Meanwhile we will follow our original plan of doing nothing.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unfortunately Ken, that describes what will happen exactly.
(We're doomed, all doomed....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Unfortunately there are still people out there who claim it's all a plot by the political elite and the scientists.

I wish more was said about the surge in migration that we'll see if we don't stop climate change. Migration seems to be a word that gets through to the public - it was enough to make them vote to leave the EU. The amount of migration we see at present will be dwarfed by what happens as the Earth gets hotter. There will be massive migration from the lower to the higher latitudes. Unfortunately the typical children's atlas map of the world gives the impression there is a lot of land in the higher latitudes due to the projection used. A globe gives a more realistic view - northern Canada and northern Russia are not as big as we think! And there isn't much land in the lower latitudes. Europe will be the major target for the migration. Russia and China will probably take the simple solution of shooting the vast crowds of migrants that try to cross their borders. If the US goes Republican next time round then the same will probably happen there. What will we do - the same? There won't be enough space and food to accommodate so many migrants in Europe. We have to avoid that scenario at all costs and it means acting now and getting all nations on board.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I wouldn't worry about migration. Now we have left the EU and taken charge of our borders that's why we voted for Brexit, then putting Priti Patel in charge what could go wrong? The current surge in asylum seekers is down to teething troubles which will disappear when we get our act together. Gradually the UK will gradually re-write the rules until we have no obligation to accept them unless they have a visa to enter. Remember we are already in the process of removing a clause that allows rescue provided there is 'no gain' by the rescuer. In effect this will mean those participating in a rescue could be taken to court. Goes under the heading of 'Compassionate Conservatism'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're both right, Peter on migration, that is going to be the main effect of climate change as far as the western democracies are concerned because not only will we have the money but there is a good chance we will escape the worst extremes of the weather. We will be a natural destination.
Ken, I agree with you entirely about Priti Patel. That woman frightens me, she doesn't appear to have an ounce of compassion. Her parents were Ugandan-Indian so I presume that they were migrants and we gave them sanctuary. That meant she got a good education and a political career after 3 years at Keele University. Does this never cross her mind when advocating even sterner measures against immigrants? Think of the illegal imprisonment in 'detention centres' and the continuation of May's hostile environment policy. he was even judged to be bullying her staff but Johnson over-ruled the verdict.
Meanwhile, see THIS rumour that is flying round the Tory Party. Johnson isn't just ranting about Sunak but Patel as well so they say. Of course there is nothing to these rumours....
(Did you see the report that Sunak's standing in popularity polls in the Tory Party is 60% and Johnson's is less than 5%? Could that be a pointer?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I knew Ugandan-Indians and Kenyan-Indians when I was an undergraduate and they were some of the most racist people I've ever met. They treated black Africans like dirt.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have heard that also.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Those that deny climate change and global warming should take heed of yesterdays report from Italy. A recorded temperature of 48.7 C, that is the hottest ever recorded for any country in Europe. The same high pressure is sitting over the majority of Europe and of course huge areas of Greece where the wild fires are reaching unprecedented proportions. UK fire fighters are engaged in the struggle to control the breakouts which spontaneously combust in the olive groves.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And we have a glass with it's needle nailed to the same reading for three days now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's not only wildfires that threaten California...
`Images show decline of California's 'life source'' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Indeed Peter. The largest reservoir behind the Hoover Dam, Lake Meade, has been falling for years and is at crisis level. The whole of the Colorado River system is drying and much of the West Coast water comes from this source.
Another problem but not mentioned as yet is that in the case of steep sided reservoirs like Lake Meade, the fall in water levels can trigger huge landslides in rocks weakened by being supported by water pressure for so long and these landslips can result in damage to the dams and associated infrastructure.
Have a look at THIS short video.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The dramatic fall in water level can also weaken the dam itself because when built they weren't expected to ever be without water pressure behind them.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember when I drove Route 66 out of LA I stopped in the desert town of Needles.
"Needles, like Death Valley to the north-west, is known for extreme heat during the summer. The Needles weather station is frequently reported by the United States government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) as the site of the highest daily temperature recorded in the U.S. during the desert summers. Needles occasionally sets national or world daily temperature records, along with other related records associated with extreme desert heat. For instance, on July 22, 2006, Needles experienced a record high low temperature of 100 °F (38 °C) at 6:00 am with a high temperature exceeding 120 °F (49 °C),[11] making it one of the few locations on Earth that have recorded a triple-digit overnight low temperature. Also, on August 13, 2012, Needles experienced a thunderstorm that deposited rain at a temperature of 115 °F (46 °C) starting at 3:56 pm, setting a new record for the hottest rain in world history. The air temperature was 118 °F (48 °C), tying Needles's record high for the date. Since the humidity was only 11%, the rain evaporated so that "only a trace of precipitation was recorded in the rain gauge". Weather records researcher Maximiliano Herrera reported that this was the lowest humidity at which rain has occurred on Earth in recorded history. Later, on May 4, 2014, Needles reached a temperature of 102 °F (39 °C) with a dewpoint of −38 °F (−39 °C), for a relative humidity of 0.33%, the lowest value ever recorded on Earth.
What does a town like this do when the water runs out? The day I was there it was relatively temperate but to a Northern lad it was as hot as hell!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”