CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: CLIMATE CHANGE AND GLOBAL WARMING

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 09:25 So from where I'm standing they're glueing themselves to the road to get the Government to do what actually they have already done.
Same experience here, knee deep in loft insulation in the last 3 houses all done with government grants.
Just leave them glued to the road, put a few cones out so drivers can see them once it gets dark. They'll soon get fed up and call someone to come and 'unglue' them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Duty of care etc etc.

I like the tale of the farmer who had his land invaded by travellers so he blockaded them into his field, so they were unable to move on.

Negotiations quickly followed.

Poetic really - as Bob Dylan once remarked "compelled to drft or else be kept from drifting"

I didn't understand that line till I read about the farmer. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny you should mention fracking David, I was wondering what had happened to the gas bonanza.... Something will have to be done, our energy supplies are quite evidently insecure.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

If anyone needed any convimcing that climate change is replacing religion - or at least the C of E. . . I borrowed this from the Diamond Geezer. Hope he doesn't mind. :smile:

There is much to 'ponder' not all connected with climate change.

This is Luke Jerram's Gaia, a touring globe which has turned up this weekend as part of the Metanoia Climate Festival, complete with haybales underneath so visitors can look up and ponder. Church of St Wulfram in Grantham.
Grantham St Wulfram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The CofE certainly need something to get bums on seats and climate change is as good as anything else.
I see there are rumours that the ancient system of Parishes is to be scrapped and subsumed in large 'worship areas' with fewer clergy and therefore less expense. No firm word on what happens to redundant churches.
I would draw the attention of the bishopric to the following snippet.
Can you remember when, about 50 years ago, the government changed the county boundaries for administrative reasons and later Eric Pickles had to agree that Shire Boundaries couldn't be altered and the physical boundaries were returned to the condition before the 'improvements'? At about the same time, The Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England decided that the Listed buildings register for the UK had to be reorganised and digitised. (RCHME was a government advisory body responsible for documenting buildings and monuments of archaeological, architectural and historical importance in England. It was established in 1908 (shortly after the parallel commissions for Scotland and Wales); and was merged with English Heritage in 1999.) A man I worked with for many years, Peter White, was given the task and after long research and consideration it was decided that the most logical and efficient way to subdivide and catalogue the records was by adopting the Parish boundaries. The bishops could find themselves in the same position as Eric Pickles and have to do a massive and expensive U turn.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 02:36 Something will have to be done, our energy supplies are quite evidently insecure.....
We should have copied the French and built more nuclear power stations. Instead we fretted about radioactive waste while allowing gigatonnes of waste CO2 from coal-fired power stations to pollute the atmosphere and set us on a decline that has the potential to be as bad as nuclear war.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree. For as long as I can remember, the UK 'Energy Policy' has been a shambles with everyone arguing about what should be done and taking emergency decisions as crises arise. The bottom line is that governments don't want to shoulder the responsibility and keep throwing it out to 'The Market'. That's why we are where we are now, the market's priority is profit not assured supplies. Nye Bevan again......
On another matter.... Did you see THIS Guardian report on the loss of coral reefs, 14% of world’s coral lost in less than a decade according to a study by the Global Coral Reef survey released today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Although the article says: Some reefs have shown a remarkable ability to bounce back, which offers hope for the future recovery of degraded reefs we need people to understand that if we lose them: It can take up to 10,000 years for a coral reef to form from a group of larvae. Depending on their size, barrier reefs and atolls can take from 100,000 to 30,000,000 years to fully form (from this article: US National Ocean Service )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They also said the using dynamite for fishing didn't help....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Amid all the Boris hype about COP-26 here's a different view from the UN. And Boris can't disagree because he's one of those who is failing to stop coal and oil projects!
`Climate change: Fossil fuel production set to soar over next decade' LINK
`Plans by governments to extract fossil fuels up to 2030 are incompatible with keeping global temperatures to safe levels, says the UN. The UNEP production gap report says countries will drill or mine more than double the levels needed to keep the 1.5C threshold alive. Oil and gas recovery is set to rise sharply with only a modest decrease in coal...'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The recent price spike in all fossil fuels seems to back up the UN position.
The other news that backs up fears about COP26 being a failure is the growing list of leaders who won't be attending. All the signs are that the participants will be all in favour of other countries taking action as long as they are excused duty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

And there is this push back too from those countries wanting to maintain the status quo for their own benefit regardless of the global danger...
`COP26: Document leak reveals nations lobbying to change key climate report' LINK
`A huge leak of documents seen by BBC News shows how countries are trying to change a crucial scientific report on how to tackle climate change. The leak reveals Saudi Arabia, Japan and Australia are among countries asking the UN to play down the need to move rapidly away from fossil fuels. It also shows some wealthy nations are questioning paying more to poorer states to move to greener technologies. This "lobbying" raises questions for the COP26 climate summit in November.'..
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And then I heard a UN person saying that the leaked documents had no significance as they were not backed up by peer-reviewed scientific research papers and therefore would not affect official policy. Somehow she seems to have missed/ avoided the fact that the documents betray the actual real world policies of these countries, to keep burning fossil fuels. (And in case you hadn't noticed we are one of them.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Cop 26 (Conference of the Parties) starts tomorrow in Glasgow. I must have missed the other twenty five. Rather strangely Boris has gone to Rome today for a G20 meeting. He seems to have spent his time being interviewed in the Coliseum (sadly no lions there now), and having his photo taken. What was the point?

This young lady will be there of course. Probably got there on a bicycle.
Greta Thunberg.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noted that David, I don't think he dares miss a G20 meeting. What's the betting he had an off piste meeting with the French....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 31 Oct 2021, 03:37 What's the betting he had an off piste meeting with the French....
More likely a piste off meeting! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad these tricks are being highlighted - and especially pleased with No.4 Carbon Offsetting and within it the quote:
"It's riddled with fraud and allows firms to claim they're meeting emissions targets while they continuously pump emissions into the air." He adds: "The whole point of offsets is to allow these corporations to keep emitting with impunity and allow governments to claim they are meeting targets."
`Climate change: Seven ways to spot businesses greenwashing' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And the favourite method of greenwashing through carbon credits, planting trees, is sterilising thousands of acres of good farm land at a time of global uncertainty in food production because of climate change. We import more than 60% of our food. Could there come a time when we need that capacity?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Carbon credits are nowt but a scam to let companies, other organisations and countries carry on pumping out CO2.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite, and Useless Eustice hasn't recognised this. He knows less about carbon capture than farming and that's saying something. I'll bet he thinks burning biomass is OK. Nothing more than Bolsanaro-style forest burning but done using industrial methods.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Carbon offsetting scam.

Wood from managed forestry actually stores carbon as opposed to emitting it: as trees grow, they absorb CO2 from the atmosphere. As a rule of thumb, a cubic metre of wood contains around a tonne of CO2 (more or less, depending on the species of tree) – which is similar to 350 litres of gasoline.

I have just met my offsetting commitment by promising not to chop a tree down that causes me a bit of grief when the leaves fall. I can now continue to burn gas and diesel with a clear conscience.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's how it works Ken and you make your point well. (Should you have included :upside_down:?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley Johnson

Boris's dad is a well known band wagon jumper climate change missionary.

He was doorstepped today by the press as he left his London home, and without comment got into what sounded like a hefty diesel engined vehicle and roared away. Another 'do as I say not as I do' moment? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I took the time to watch the clip David. He talks the talk..... but it's what he does that bothers me.I won't be using him as my mentor on anything.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”