ENERGY MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

I have remembered to send my leccy reading. This month's bill will be £51.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our last one was £42.00
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Our total charge for gas (£6.68) and leccy (£19.51) for July was £26.19 but remember we use some of our own free generated leccy from the magic panels on the roof. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My leccy usage is of course boosted by the shed. A bit like doing twice as much cooking!
Peter, I was thinking the other day hat the roof panels will have been doing well lately!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

But not so well earlier on. Our May/June/July quarter generation was 1540 kWh but last year for the same period it was 1721 kWh. Lots of rain clouds were a problem. Also, when we had the last period of full sun the high ambient temperatures reduced the potential generation.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, I think you've mentioned the higher temperature before Peter.
I got my current energy account. The cock-up with the leccy meter and the bad estimates cost my £125 on top of what I have paid. These people couldn't run a booze up in a brewery. I shall force them into a corner by always checking that they have the right meter readings from now on. I trusted them and their 'smart' meter and look how much good it did me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Possibly for Politics Too.
"Energy bills to rise by at least £139 for millions of households" referring to the max price cap uplift. None of the BBC or other media have bothered to show that about a 10percent rise , or 3 times the NHS wage offer in percentage terms, (and presumably more than the triple lock revised for pensions likely to be announced soon). ( comes after a 10percent rise in the spring too - so 20percent in a year)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kwasi Kwarteng has finally admitted that....
`Heat pumps 'worse' than gas boilers for warming up homes, admits Energy Secretary' LINK
...but the Federation of Master Builders has been saying that for ages...
`Heat pumps ‘won’t deliver’ with current technology, FMB warns' FMB
The FMB CEO says that the government’s emphasis on greener heating systems was “fraught with difficulties” and that it should focus on reducing heat loss from buildings with insulation instead.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Time for me to read my meters again. Pop the results on the easy peasy website and then get the bill and pay by DD for exactly what we have used. :smile: We pay a just above the odds monthly payment which always leaves a surplus which accrues during the spring and summer months and has always seen us through autumn and winter. Works very well and Octopus is still voted the best supplier. We are registered for a smart meter upgrade at some point. The SMETS 1's we have are currently not compatible.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit later, got our bill £17 for gas and £42 for electric. A useful credit in hand but not exorbitant. I remember when I was with BG they once had £375 of my money in hand until I asked for it back. :extrawink: Octopus monitor your monthly payment and suggest alterations either way based on your usage as required, the last one for us was downward, been the same for about 12 months so seems to be about right :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have one of the very early energy saving bulbs in the front room. It has always been very weak but this was no problem as I never needed it for anything that needed a good light. This morning I had reason to switch it on and was surprised because it was as bright as an old 100watt incandescent bulb. Why? Is it a sign it's on the verge of blowing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

No idea, I've not encountered that. Perhaps the early ones were unreliable?

I'm glad to see this coalition including Citizens Advice, the Federation of Master Builders, the Aldersgate Group and Which? is taking the government to task on its failure to provide better, easier and more reliable ways for people to make the necessary upgrades to the energy efficiency of their homes.
`Climate change: Consumer 'confusion' threatens net zero homes plan' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Get your wood burning stoves ready for winter and beat the increase in fuel prices that' going to hit you.

Those on direct debit plans will be seeing there bills go up by and average of 13%. Taking the previous average from £1,156 to £1,309. Unbelievably part of this surge in prices is because the world is getting warmer and people are using more energy to keep cool. This sounds a bit strange since most of those trying to keep cool are the ones who are denying the world is getting warmer.
Price rises. Fuel price
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It'll only be going up for those not on a fixed price tariff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine's set to March 2022.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 17:59 It'll only be going up for those not on a fixed price tariff.
Not quite correct, I'm with Octopus on a fixed price tariff that ends this month. I then move on to another fixed price which starts in October. The estimate is a 10% rise. I would imagine that most users will be seeing a price rise as soon as their agreement ends.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This is true but a shop around for a deal will lessen any impact. I have until June 2022.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Maybe, maybe not! All suppliers are putting up their prices, as Plaques says. If you find a cheaper deal you probably could have had a cheaper one with them before the prices rises.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you all know, my opinion is that in the end all the energy companies are selling the same energy and the differences in any retail prices has to be balanced against the way the company behaves. BG have had their purple patches but on the whole they serve me well. I really do believe there is merit in having a track record embedded in the computers. I have noted over the years that the worst billing problems I have seen are often associated with changing companies or companies amalgamating.
The heat is on, I can afford the bill. I have other things to spend my time addressing....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Interesting leaflet pushed through the door today, the heading says 'Free Boiler 100% government backed scheme'
It goes on to say that grants are now available for families in receipt of child benefit, they could benefit from 'conversion from electric to gas central heating'. Rather goes against the scheme to phase out gas boilers...
The only contact, on the leaflet, is a mobile number so it all looks a bit dodgy to me.

A bit of digging identifies them as a company called Mersey Eco Grants, based in Preston.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got the same one Kev and like you thought it was a bit suspect. As I don't need a boiler at present it went in the bin.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 08:44 No idea, I've not encountered that. Perhaps the early ones were unreliable?
See some of the Technology Connections YT. If I understand the circuitry it was designed not to give full power at first, almost like warming up the valves in the radio set, as the inrush current was thought to life shorten the rest of the control circuit for the CFL, People wanted lamps that gave a decent readable light so this was done away with, but is does seem to make more fail completely earlier, others seem unaffected. I think the videos are part of a series on (electric) light, the problem light bulbs were trying to solve was not to be too bright ( think arc lights and so on )
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BG are sending someone to reconnect my leccy meter to the smart meter some time between 8AM and 1PM today so my morning is buggered until he or she has been. Deep Joy! (I shall lose second sleep!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The gas man has been and gone. I have two new meters and the next generation smart meter connection. The only problem is it is not connecting today he will have to come back and have another go he says the network is slow and it could take hours.
(he checked my tails for me...)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The 250% rise (70% in the last month) of wholesale gas prices is impacting a lot of the smaller energy companies. One of the bigger ones, Bulb Energy, are also looking for a bailout from their investors.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58619418
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”