ENERGY MATTERS

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 03:43 Agreed but there have been too many 'break throughs' in fusion research, none of them productive and some later shown to be verging on fraud. Whoever cracks it in the end will be able to hold the world to ransom.... That's enough to generate enthusiasm in some quarters. I know that Peter was disappointed with my response to the Oxford website but I'll believe it when I see it!
I am sure Stanley would have been happy to be Tenter to a Fusion reactor
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sand battery. Finland have a working sand battery to store heat for a town's communal heating system.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-61996520
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that report Kev. Sounds to simple to be true but they do seem to be quite excited about it.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Something similar to the sand battery has been used by some `green' self-builders to keep their houses warm in winter. They plan the house to have a very high level of insulation so it doesn't need a lot of heating and then build it on top of a big tank of sand, gravel or water which gets heated during summer through a heat exchange system. It's a development from the way old houses with thick stone walls benefit in winter from their thermal mass charged up during summer.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"old houses with thick stone walls benefit in winter"
Trouble is Peter the effect doesn't last long!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That's where insulation on the outside surface of external walls excels but planning departments still frown on it.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I read this morning that it's potentially viable to spend £6500 on solar panels if it's currently in a long term savings pot, even with the lower export rates currently being offered.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... ar-panels/
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

And now, well August, a battery recycling collection for Pendle.
https://www.pendle.gov.uk/newsroom/news ... start_soon
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 10:41 And now, well August, a battery recycling collection for Pendle.
https://www.pendle.gov.uk/newsroom/news ... start_soon
Is it needed , the Co-op has a collection box on the front window sill. (Lidl have buckets). What happened to those Tesco big recycling bins for small electricals and long life bulbs ?
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 03:36 "old houses with thick stone walls benefit in winter"
Trouble is Peter the effect doesn't last long!
Castles hung carpets (tapestries) on the walls, that helped)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am happy to report that after a long struggle, since October 2021, I have at last got British Gas to go back to my original position last year, billed monthly on what energy I had used via a variable Direct Debit at my bank. This hasn't functioned since March and that was on a quarterly basis which was a change I never asked for, The day before yesterday BG debited my account by £485 for the energy I have used since March. I am now straight with them. I want to see this new arrangement settle down and when it does I will be talking to Kev and Ian about Octopus if I like the look of their offer. British Gas aren't fit to run a piss up in a brewery and their choice to run their business with no direct contact with clients outside 'agents' on chat lines somewhere in the sub continent, many of whom don't speak good English or understand English grammar. My experience is that they will promise you anything to placate you and three times they have agreed to all I asked and three times failed to deliver. This present position is the fourth attempt.
In am now straight (apart from the fact that they never have got my second generation smart gas meter to talk to HQ...... I decided to drop that complaint as it was muddying the water and they have no answer apart from the stock response that no appointments are being made at the moment by the meter engineers. One suspects they have no staff.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I suspect they are short of staff. It'll be Ian you need to speak to about Octopus though, I'm with Eon Next :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Octopus introductory deal if you are interested. Use this link to check it out and if you switch we both get £50.00 credit.

https://share.octopus.energy/young-ibis-685
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll wait until my BG account has settled down into being correct every month, not once a year!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of the news that Gasprom is to reduce gas supplies from Russia to Europe to 20%. They cite maintenance problems on the pipeline but it's generally agreed that this is straightforward energy warfare.
Don't think this won't affect us because it will.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I found this yesterday. I don't like the idea that the supplier can see how much power you are using, and for how long. That way different charges can be applied. Last time I mentioned this I said I was scared they would be able to disconnect the supply - and Pluggy (as I recall) said it wasn't possible. I can think of reasons it's not desirable. In the video 'Big Clive' seems to say it is.

Any thoughts Panbiker Plaques ? Smart Meter
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I watched previous videos by bigclivedotcom in the earlier ones the meters seemed to concentrate on being tamperproof. A big saving in itself against those wanting to bypass the meter. This one also sounds as though its got some power factor detection. Getting back to the 'new' features it does look like it can be switched off. This may be for bad payers or area shut downs, who knows? Also it looks like it can talk to headquarters for other adjustable functions. Price increases at peak times etc etc. Until they introduce controls on who can access this data I'll stick to my meter with the spinning wheel.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There is a very robust process a supplier has to go through to cut off the supply at the meter. Suppliers don't have direct access to the devices, they can (and do) send price updates but, with regard to cutting off the supply, there are very strict protocols to follow and it will only be done as a last resort.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 12:36 it will only be done as a last resort.
Thanks for the info - that's good to hear. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My gas meter still, isn't talking to HQ so they are not able to access the advantages of my 'smart' meter. That reminds me, must send the meter reading in today. The wonders of modern science!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

After 46 years of producing 311 billion kilowatt hours of zero-carbon electricity...
`Hinkley B: UK's most productive nuclear power plant to close' LINK
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 02:30 My gas meter still, isn't talking to HQ so they are not able to access the advantages of my 'smart' meter. That reminds me, must send the meter reading in today. The wonders of modern science!
More than likely the incompetence of BG, the meter worked previously.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No Kev, the new meter has never communicated with anyone, The old meter never faltered, it was the leccy that was the trouble. Now it's the opposite way round, under the second generation the leccy reports, the gas is dumb....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

By some unknown magic that I know nothing of. Both my meters are now working smart! Not been upgraded but are still the first generation smart jobbies. (remote software upgrade? can that be done Kev?)

Not been asked to read one for about 12 months. Bills are correct and not estimated. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 11:27 By some unknown magic that I know nothing of. Both my meters are now working smart! Not been upgraded but are still the first generation smart jobbies. (remote software upgrade? can that be done Kev?)

Not been asked to read one for about 12 months. Bills are correct and not estimated. :smile:
Firmware upgrades are done remotely Ian. There is also the possibility the software that 'processes' the data from the meter was missing something. There's quite a lot of data transfer between the meter, the DCC and the supplier and it only needs one little thing missing to throw a spanner in the works.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”