ENERGY MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

Interesting article China. I'm glad that isn't my problem!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I thought I mentioned this in here but can't find it, maybe a different thread. I applied for SMETS 2 meters from Octopus the other day, they are now rolling them out.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 08:16 I thought I mentioned this in here but can't find it, maybe a different thread. I applied for SMETS 2 meters from Octopus the other day, they are now rolling them out.
Your SMETS1 meters will be 'rolled' into the DCC soon. All of the suppliers I support have, or will be having very soon, the upgraded software and security protocols for them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So I take it that they wont replace the meters unless you are still on standard ones. Just a software or firmware upgrade and a new readout unit?

Not sure what happened here, my reply to Ian's post is below, Big Kev.

It'll be down to your supplier if they replace the meters and IHD, the software option is obviously cheaper. The software upgrade is at the 'backend' so if it's just software you'll keep all the same kit at home.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Several approaches to improving solar power are described here. My favourite is one I flagged up on OG some years ago and is mentioned part way through the article - perovskites, which utilise a wider part of the spectrum than silicon. We have to distinguish between perovskite (singular) and perovskites (plural). Perovskite itself is a mineral, one of the most common on Earth but we rarely see it because it lives deep down in the hot mantle. It's calcium titanium oxide which sounds fairly simple and mundane as minerals go but it has a special crystal structure which confers unusual and valuable physical properties. In recent years scientists created a number of other chemical compounds with different elements but mimicking the structure of calcium titanium oxide. They are now referred to as perovskites.
`A breakthrough approaches for solar power' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Encouraging news Tiz. What a good job Hartley's 'pesky scientists' are beavering away out there!
THIS BBC report on the problems Shell Oil is facing caught my attention. Bad news for pension funds and yet more evidence that we live in strange and disturbing times.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Combined energy bill for April is £74. It must be coming Summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Reuters report on oil prices. A very good indicator of global industrial activity. There is some optimism that cuts in production could bolster the price but at the same time renewed criticism of China by Trump is not seen as helpful. The markets are not happy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Back at the beginning of April I reported that Col was feeling unsettled about our full oil tank and the fall in the price of oil. He couldn't let it lie. While I have been enjoying my wonderful life full of sunshine, walking, weeding and ponies he has been beavering away causing me worry, stress and extreme anxiety.
He acquired a free steel oil tank, stripped off the rust and repainted it, pressure tested it for leaks and found none. At this point he ordered 2000lts of oil at 16.2 pence a litre. Then he took down my little tool shed from beside the original oil tank and arranged for our neighbour to bring up his telehandler to lift the steel tank into position. I forgot to mention that whilst he was working on it he moved it around single handedly using a system of jacks and levers.... I didn't look.
He pumped oil into it to check for leaks again and all is well. We are still waiting for the delivery. :smile:
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We refill our kerosene tank at about end of May beginning of June each year. Last years was about £1200, this years £700 give or take a pound or two. That's what we call a result. Hardly used any diesel in the car which we used to refill every fortnight for £80 odd. Good comes out of bad.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell Col I say he is very predictable! Why just one tank........ :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If the government wanted to encourage a take up of smart meters how about in all new buildings with an electricity supply to include all necessary inverters ready to connect to wind or solar inputs.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I thought that the larger wind turbine installations were already matched to the grid. Smaller domestic ones when they are not shaking your building apart would also supply AC but perhaps not of the correct frequency perhaps Wendy could comment on this aspect.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

What happens if you run a Dyson fan as a turbine generator, to a rectifier, NiCad Battery Storage and power all your DC appliances - TV,Laptop,Radio, Shaver whatever.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A how are you going to drive the fan? Also you would not get NICad batteries as they are now obsolete but you could use NiMh or LiOn variants which are a lot more efficient. I would ask the question though, why? The basic laws of physics dictate that you would be on a hiding to nothing as you cannot get out more energy than you put in, no such thing as free ride.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

plaques wrote: 22 May 2020, 11:42 I thought that the larger wind turbine installations were already matched to the grid. Smaller domestic ones when they are not shaking your building apart would also supply AC but perhaps not of the correct frequency perhaps Wendy could comment on this aspect.
My understanding of the technology is very small, I have been told on many occasions but it goes in one ear and out the other. I do know that you need an inverter to regulate the power whether you are using a battery system or tying in to the grid. We have a battery storage system connected to ours and the other turbine Col built for our neighbours feeds into the grid through a grid tie inverter. The turbines are identical, but the wiring is different, they produce 1.5kw and are built from aeroplane parts, they are both still working well ....must be about 12 years now.
We have a separate system coming into the house using battery power which runs the lights in the barns and the freezer but will also take over the heating system electrics and the tv if the grid goes off.
The batteries are charged by the turbine when it windy, the solar panels when it's sunny and now they have their own dedicated panel. It all switches automatically and in theory the only human intervention required is to switch the turbine off if it gets too windy!
Col designed and built a controller for the grid tie turbine to switch it on and off depending on wind speed which worked well for years but now keeps going faulty. He has forgotten how it works, and his hands and eyes are no longer suited to fine electronics.... :sad:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks Wendy. I've always thought home build turbines a bit too complex on the control system. Even if they are converted from AC to DC and then back through inverters to AC you are still faced with over speeding, some kind of breaking (water or air) or a complete shut down. Too complex for me not to mention I wouldn't know where to start. Col sounds like a good man.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

If you want to attempt to build one Col and his friend Rog still have the parts for a few more somewhere though the stock of inverters ran out a couple of years back!
I've had a short lecture on our morning walk round the fields. We can see 5 other turbines of different types on our walk. All need grid tie inverters, some have "feathering" tails (like ours) that brake them by turning the blades out of the wind, some have no tails at all but must have internal braking systems... All of them break down on a regular basis and are out of action for months!
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

there can be two forms of braking, a physical governer which switches in further pulleys to additional mechanical generators ( you could use an old Car Dynamo for a 12v feed unit !) , or the turning, like windmill sails, the blades narrow to the wind, so the wind passes through rather than turns the blade). Given RR technology and an excess of staff over plane engines to maintain i would have thought this was more technology to invest in , the RR brand would be worth a premium on installations.

If colin goes on the vintage-radio forum there should be one or two local control electronics experts who might be able to review and assist if needed.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 22 May 2020, 20:43 A how are you going to drive the fan? Also you would not get NICad batteries as they are now obsolete but you could use NiMh or LiOn variants which are a lot more efficient. I would ask the question though, why? The basic laws of physics dictate that you would be on a hiding to nothing as you cannot get out more energy than you put in, no such thing as free ride.
I will have to check what my laptop batteries are.

It is why I asked the question, if Dyson create using electricity something that moves air, presumably the reverse is true ? It might be that the funneling of an imprecise air movement makes it impossible, which is far enough, I just had a curious mind.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I took this photo of our 'working roof' this morning on the way back down the hill after delivering some strawberries next door.
100530270_2366176686752115_8411632555169677312_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic Wendy. Plenty of room for more panels!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have developed a problem with our boiler, it's sprung a leak and wont hold pressure. I first noticed it needed topping up more regularly a few weeks ago. When I took the bottom cover off to re-pressurise it at weekend, the tray was full of water. We are on a home care agreement with BG so I went online to book a service last night. All indications on the website were that it was not classed as an emergency (which are the only service calls allowed) under their Covid regulations. The site suggested that if in doubt I should ring or use the online chat facility. It was after hours so no chat option available. I decided to go back on the site this morning.

The chat facility was available so i hit the button and within a couple of minutes I was connected with Constantin. I related the problem and was asked to hold while they checked if mine was serviceable request. Two minutes later they asked for my address and postcode followed by "will PM today be OK", no problem I replied. I told them we were both well and could maintain social distancing when the engineer came, they checked my mobile number and we were done.

1pm I got a call from Tom to say he would be about 15mins. I was in the yard when he rocked up and I told him where the boiler was and retreated to the living room. After taking the lid of he declared a fairly common fault, left hand manifold cracked. He had one on the van but when he came to fit it he found one of the holding nuts seized. Discretion better part of valour as he said that invariably the nut would shear if he tried to release it and it could also damage the stud underneath. He didn't have replacements for those so he has elected to come back tomorrow with a complete set of parts.

I mentioned that my annual service was due just into July so he said he would do the repair and the service at the same time tomorrow. Annual service jobs have been suspended for the moment and they are only undertaking urgent breakdowns and leaks but he said he would clear it with his line manager as he is going to have it in bits tomorrow and it would be daft not to to do the service at the same time.

I asked if they were busy and he said not, 50% of the engineers were furloughed at the start of the lockdown and he said that he was only working about three days a week. The usual pressure from the line managers is absent as well which is a bonus. He said he normally works till 5pm but has not worked past 3pm for weeks on the days he is actually working. He said it would all change though as like the NHS they are accruing a huge backlog, all the engineers are due to be back next week I think he said.

He's making mine his first job tomorrow, repair and a month early annual service. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reinforces my opinion of BG service Ian. I have been on it for over 20 years and have always had that level of service. Expensive but peace of mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tom has just rung us to say he has all the parts and is on his way from Keighley. Should be with us in a bout half an hour. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”