MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

I hope your call from Hassan gave you some clues Ian and that you get the licence sorted.
His call to me was excellent, he was very supportive, understood why I had done a runner and says that my progress is fine and he has no worries. He says that the slightly elevated BP is quite normal, just keep a record for when I see him and concentrate on normality. I always thought he was a good man, now I am certain! We are lucky to have him and I told him so.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Glad to hear that Stanley. Its good when you have a GP that relates to you, and vice versa. Some of the newer ones have a good ‘bedside manner’ as more is done about this in the training than used to be.
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As far as I am concerned the sun shines out of his bottom! I hope he did as well for Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Double whammy, my call is booked for today and I will get a visit from Emma at Burnley for neuro physio assessment from their team. I hope they don't occur at the same time. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best of luck with both Ian.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well Emma tipped up at about 1.10pm to do my assessment. Symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and present condition. How I am managing at home and other holistic information. Then basic neurological tests, push me pull me for arms and legs, sensory perception in limbs etc, etc, very thorough. Then we went out for a walk around the block so she could see how I was walking. She along with Laura prefers that I use my "foot up" device rather than my carbon fibre splint as it makes me use and work more muscles. We went down Ash Grove, up Skipton Road and then back via St James Sq. She was happy with my progress and has left me with an information folder. She will go back to base and formulate a treatment regime for me. Good thing is, she will come to me rather than us having to go to Burnley and along with exercises that I can do at home, she will accompany me out in the real world which she says is much better than the physio room. She wants me to think of some convenient shorter walks that we can do and is prepared to meet me anywhere to take on different terrain. Plenty of scope around Barlick. :smile: She has left me her contact details so that I can pass these on to Laura at LGI when I see her tomorrow.

Hassan rang me while she was here and agreed to ring me back later. He reckons I should ignore all the references to Epilepsy and seizures as they are not indicative of my present condition. I have sent the form off with copies of my original consultation documentation and my discharge papers from the hospital as they list the treatment and recommendation for continuation of neuro physio and what medication I was discharged with, basically Paracetamol and a choice of laxatives. Hassan says that the DVLA will not take my word for anything I have written and will apply to my consultant and local GP for the same information that I have already given, such is life.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, I did manage to move the toes on my right foot under scrutiny, not much but it shows progress, first time in nearly a month. :biggrin2:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

How are you managing on the stairs, Panbiker? Does it take extra concentration?
And have they suggested hydro-therapy as an adjunct to therapy? ( I think that is something I would happily take to. We have a lovely hydro-therapy pool in our local complex and a lot of people use it. Physios book sessions and their patients turn up at that time (general public can use it other times but not when a physio has a booking). They have ramps and patient lifters which can take you from change room to pool via a track on the ceiling. Very impressive and well thought out.
One end of it is a walk through spa. Heaven on earth to sit in there for 10 mins.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds good Ian, particularly the toes! The DVLA ignoring anything you say is no surprise, anyway it takes the onus off you.
I have an appointment with the consultant at Airedale tomorrow (Thursday) I don't know what for or time yet and have to call them this morning. Could be the path lab report so tension mounts again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:39 I did manage to move the toes on my right foot under scrutiny, not much but it shows progress, first time in nearly a month.
. I wish I had got the same level of physio as you are getting. After injuring my back, too serious to operate at that time, I lost all the feeling in my right lower leg. Walking itself was a problem, First put the walking stick in place then watch were the foot goes. Over the years some feeling did return but some was lost for ever. I still have this idea that with the correct physio I could have slowed down some of the muscle wastage. The funny thing now is that I use the stairs for 90% of my home physio. Upward and onward.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 00:47 They have ramps and patient lifters which can take you from change room to pool via a track on the ceiling.
Wow! When it's not in use for patients they should let others pay to have the experience of travelling along the ceiling! it would provide funds for running the pool. :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have two 'patient lifters, Susan and her daughter Jess. They pick me up and take me to Airedale tomorrow. I am blessed by such wonderful support.
Marie, the in-house Dracula at the doctor's, took one look at my bruised left arm after the stay in hospital and decided to go for the right one! Another Hancock armful donated towards the cause!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 07 Nov 2018, 00:47 How are you managing on the stairs, Panbiker? Does it take extra concentration?
And have they suggested hydro-therapy as an adjunct to therapy?
Stairs are OK Maz, the physio's don't let you home unless you can do them. I pre-empted their demand to do their 4 up and 4 down rig that they have in the treatment room and deferred to the real world with a 10 step to the first turn on the hospital stairwell. I did this twice both up and down with my last effort videoed as proof. Risers on the hospital stairs are deeper than ours at home so I knew I would be OK at home. It's getting easier as well as I regain more muscle memory and strength on the right. No suggestion of hydrotherapy, its core, control, strength, stamina and retraining neurons that is my brief and challenge.

Today was my last session with Laura at LGI, her mentor Sara was in attendance as is the norm and we had Ellie as well who stepped in at one point to do the photo's and video's when Laura and Sara both had their hands full with me. Session started as usual with observation of me walking. I do about 20m to the bottom of the corridor and am videoed both on the outward and inward journeys, I just have my shorts on so that they can see how I am holding my frame. Barefooted on the first run and then with my trainers and "foot up" on for the second. A marked improvement in both cases I am told. :smile: Into the treatment room and back in bare feet. I am glad that I am stripped off with only my shorts as the air conditioning in the room has failed, it was around 30 degrees in there today, fortunately it was sorted by about 20 minutes into my session. Lots done on controlling my walking action, one routine by reaching upwards to force my heels up and onto the balls of my feet. Another reaching as far up the wall with my hands which again exercises the ankles and calves. My right foot is now in better alignment with my hip, I had a marked turn out which is now noticeably improved until I tire which I am told is when I have to give up. This will improve as I build more stamina.

I took Emma's contact info for Laura and she is going to ring her with my progress to date. She has all she needs from me to complete her project and she thanked me with a card and some chocolates, thanked me! I am forever in her debt for getting me to my current stage, when I think back just four weeks, I thought I was doing well clinging to the walls to get to the toilet! I gave both Laura and Sara a hug as I left the treatment room for the last time. They walked me back up through the ward and back to the day room where Sally was waiting. Laura has asked if I would like a copy of her project to which of course I said yes. She has just over 3 months to go yet with her pregnancy but will start her maternity leave in early January, I of course wished her well with the rest of her pregnancy and gave her another cuddle before we left. I still have her mobile number and will send her a picture when I get to the trig on Weets.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

All sounding positive Ian, well done you and the NHS.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely! As Kev says, positive progress and this only happens when everyone is putting 100% into it, you get back what you put in so not simply good staff but a good patient as well!
Am scrubbed up ready for the consultant this morning..... Jess and Susan pick me up at 09:45.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

All great news Ian.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's official, I have cancer in my system. The next move is to give me a full body scan to see if it is limited to my bladder or whether there are abnormal cells in other places which is a possibility. Once that has been done and assessed a treatment plan will be instituted.
They are moving fast and very efficiently. Let's hear it for the NHS!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not the news you wanted to hear Stanley but stay positive, it will hold you in good stead. If you need to discuss with others who may have been in the same position BE Bosom Friends have regular support meetings where you can unload if you want to. The group covers all kinds of cancer and supports those having treatment and also those caring for them. Good that they are moving with speed, easy to say but try not to worry too much, jury is still out.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All quite right and useful Ian. I am fine actually. I was talking to a friend who has been enquiring frequently what the state of play is as he has been there twice in the last 12 months and is at the moment suffering a similar condition to yours, a bleed on the brain. He said that all that mattered was whether I am free of pain and functioning. I think that covers it. The scan will decide everything and they are moving fast.
Let's hear it for the NHS! Clinic yesterday was super efficient. We arrived on time and were in and out inside 15 minutes with clear information......
By the way, I forgot to mention I had the enhanced Flu jab on Monday and have noted no side effects.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Sorry to hear that Stanley, but staying positive is so important, there is strong evidence to support this.

Good for the flu jab too. Anything to enhance good health is welcome I cannot understand those people who are anti the vaccination, mind you so many think that a cold is flu (an entirely different sort of virus) and say things like well I got the flu anyway when they really only had a cold.
If you keep searching you will find it
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

That's a bugger. Kick its ass Comrade. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Keep your pecker up they will look after you.
Say only a little but say it well.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes stay positive Stanley, thinking of you.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to all of you. I am well supported and in good hands at the hospital and whilst I am exercised, I am too busy getting on with life and enjoying myself and my family to go into a decline or hide the facts.
The miracle is of course that I have got this far! When I look back at the nasties I have been exposed to......
So once again, thanks, it helps me to cope....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thinking of you as always Stanley! Not a low grade tumour then....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not clear on that Wendy, at the moment they are covering all the bases before any decisions are made. As always they want to eliminate worst case and I understand that. I shall have a better idea after the whole body scan. It all makes sense to me.....
Don't forget your shears!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”