Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Wendyf »

I hope Sally makes a quick recovery.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

She is considerably better than she was this morning. She says more or less back to normal. She is taking it easy though and has had an afternoon sleep. No pain where it presented this morning which reinforces the trapped nerve scenario. She is looking for cause and has revealed that she pushed her morning exercise regime a bit further this morning which she normally does while I am in the shower. 20 mins later she was in bother.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Give Sally my love and tell her I know the feeling. P is right I reckon, if you get a spasm like that, find a comfortable position and rest there.
"She is looking for cause and has revealed that she pushed her morning exercise regime a bit further this morning which she normally does while I am in the shower. 20 mins later she was in bother."
That'll do it. I found that the older I got the better I recognised the actions that were almost guaranteed to send me into spasm and today avoiding them is instinct.
I think there are two schools of thought, Push on through the pain and keep active and the other is recognise that some bits like discs and joints wear out with time. I favour the latter. You can't regain youth by extreme exercise but you can preserve what you have by rational activity and I chose the latter course. It means restrictions like not doing anything quickly and reducing walking distances but gives a better life.
As for discs, Arthur Morrison told me many years ago that God tends to cure them by freezing them as you age. I think he was right, If I take care I can be back pain free. If I do something silly I slip back into pain and have to endure a healing process. Amazing how fast you learn! So, no more "pushing morning exercise" Sally!
The bottom line is to listen to your body, it never lies and Sally's back is giving her a clear message.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My bulging discs and Sciatica never give me back pain. Even when the disc ruptured ( I was in agony down the leg) but no back pain. But maybe her troublesome discs are higher up. My ruptured one was S1. The one above it will be the next to go as it is quite big and pushing on two nerves, but still no back pain.
I do hope the back pain Gods don’t read this and send me something for my troubles...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hope Sally is getting better. Seven years ago I had the injury of 2 bulging discs/sciatica. I’ll never forget it. :(. Still not back to normal and have to be very careful and stick to my limits. Definitely follow P’s advise.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Snap Cathy, and it lasted over forty years!
One thing I forgot yesterday was never sit too long in the same position, get up frequently and walk a few steps.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well I have done the wrong thing. Son and girlfriend FaceTimed us tonight and I sat on the floor beside hubby’s chair so we could both be on screen and have a lovely chat...and we did have a lovely chat...trouble is I can hardly move now. Gosh I was in pain when I tried to stand up afterwards.
Hopefully a hot bath will sort me out in the morning. :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have always thought that Apple kit was no good to man nor beast. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It wasn’t the Apple’s fault. It was the Turnip that sat on the floor that did the damage.
But I slept well and seem to have got rid of the kinks. Crisis averted.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're not alone Maz. We all forget our weak points and do things like that which trigger off a storm. Glad it sorted itself out! (Mine is usually lifting something too heavy....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The cold weather has had my Sciatica raging for almost 48 hours. I can’t think of anything silly I may have done. But that is the way it goes, tomorrow I will likely be free of it. When it is bad, I can’t help but imagine a sorry old age, yet once it has cleared I can’t wait to climb on my bike or walk up the nearest hill. Funny old thing is Sciatica.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 01:56 (Mine is usually lifting something too heavy....)
Never find heavy things a problem, you know they are heavy so you're always walking round testing and feeling and getting your balance right. Its the lightweight things that catch you out. Leaning forward to put shopping in the car boot, lifting a lightweight stacking chair, opening a bottom drawer, putting fuel in the car, always a painful operation.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Or stretching up to try and grab something just out of reach...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I did put a duvet cover over the rocking chair to air. Unfortunately I approached the rocking chair from the front, it tipped back from the weight of the duvet cover, and I may have tensed up so as not to go face-forward with it. :biggrin2: Yup...that’s wot done it guv...
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

After waiting for covid19 since February, I got an appointment with a neurophysiology doctor this coming Saturday at Airedale..... Maybe I'll find out why I'm turning disabled.........
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I think you know from previous postings, hopefully someone has come up with ideas that will reverse or mitigate the reason for it.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Are they still scratching their heads over you, Pluggy?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Best of luck with your consultation Stephen. I hope you can get some answers and notice of any treatment regimes available.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same message from me Plugs, I wish you the very best of luck!
Backs and awkward reaching.... Sorry your backs bad Maz, not sure if cold weather is the complete answer. The worst episode I ever had was about 40 years ago when I lifted a carry cot containing a very heavy baby into the back seat of the Fulvia which was very low, I was reaching in with only one hand. That caused me 9 months of grief! Still haven't forgotten it. You live and learn and touch wood..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Best wishes, Stephen. I hope they get to the bottom of whatever is causing the problem and can offer you a better way forward.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I'm much better today thanks Stanley.
( :biggrin2: It always improves after I've had a whinge about it!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Spoke a bit soon. Stubbed my foot as we were doing the dishes tonight and can feel the anger rising again...mind you, we aren’t that far off bed for the night...I’m sure the kinks will come out as I sleep. Weather might have it’s say though, as I can only describe it as a “penetrating cold damp” tonight.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I did find last night in bed, that sleeping on my side, with my back quite flat ( bum tucked in) and legs drawn up in the foetal position, did me quite well. Trouble was straightening the right leg out afterward. ( yelp!) very painful...
( remember my pain comes from spinal nerves, not from muscles)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are about 45 mins out from bed. I keep watching the clock because I need to get there and get into that foetal position with the legs drawn up to ease the pain. I try to do that now without any painkillers, because we all know that is the better course for our health. ( I have Paracetamol on standby )

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”