MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 14:23 Aunty Wainwright lives. :laugh5:
Sorry to deviate from medical matters but this sentence in Tripps's link: At Compo's funeral, she grabbed Eli by the arm and pretended to be blind in order to avoid giving money to a collection outside the church reminded me of something I read recently about a church. The man said that the wealthy toffs all sat in the gallery and the hoi polloi had to stay on the ground floor. Asked how they kept the rabble from entering the gallery he said `We place someone with a collection plate at the foot of the stairs. That works.' :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like deviations like that....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

While we were away in Cornwall my relative in her 80s who now lives in sheltered accommodation had her influenza and covid booster jabs. She quickly became very ill with diarrhoea and vomiting and was taken to hospital. The family didn't want to spoil our holiday and waited until we returned before telling us. She's OK now, thank goodness, and the doctor suspects it was due to having the two jabs together. She's always OK with her influenza jab and didn't have problems with the two original covid ones. We don't know whether her booster covid was the same `brand' as the original. Of course, there's the possibility that it was coincidence and a gastro bug rather than unconnected with the vaccines. I don't know if the medics did any tests for infections. (I suspect covid and jabs are often being used as a quick but possibly incorrect diagnosis under present conditions.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I suspect covid and jabs are often being used as a quick but possibly incorrect diagnosis under present conditions."
It wouldn't surprise me if you are right Peter. No reason at all why it couldn't be a coincidental gastro bug.
I'm glad she's OK now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This will be for only a small number of people but it will be a wonder drug for them - and the methodology will be further developed for other diseases...
`Gene silencing medicine transforms crippling pain' LINK
`An innovative type of medicine - called gene silencing - is set to be used on the NHS for people who live in crippling pain. The drug treats acute intermittent porphyria, which runs in families and can leave people unable to work or have a normal life. Clinical trials have shown severe symptoms were cut by 74% with the drug. While porphyria is rare, experts say the field of gene silencing has the potential to revolutionise medicine.'...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did my ears deceive me or did I hear Sajid Javid saying that new anti viral drugs at present under trial could be a way of relieving pressure on the NHS? He seems to be totally ignoring the advice of the experts, the people who have the job of running the NHS who say they are at a tipping point and winter hasn't started yet.
Have a look at THIS BBC report. In particular look at the picture. Modern cameras can be so precise, we are treated to a view of Her Majesty's teeth, the crooked ones and the filling in the bottom and what looks suspiciously like a false top set. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was studying her teeth earlier Stanley and was quite surprised to see that she still has her own bottom set. I think just the front ones up top are false. 😁
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

She's got a better gobful than I have! But I suspect they've cost more..... Did you spot the filling gleaming at the back right hand side.....?
[Nice to know someone else looks at these things....]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I had a text reminder yesterday for my go in the MRI scanner next Thursday. I have been online and booked my train tickets for Leeds. Different to last time as you cant get printed tickets unless you pay for next day recorded delivery which costs £7.50!

My return journey only cost £6.20 so I opted for eTickets on my phone. I had to get the trainline app for my phone and create a trainline account but it seems to work OK. My outbound and return tickets are already sitting there with their Q Codes for each leg ready to rock.

My appointment is in the morning so I have opted for the 9.17 train to Leeds which will get me there for just after 10am. That will give me plenty of time to walk up to City Square and find the right bus up to St James's. I will need to time it so I get there for about 11.30. I have booked the 15.15 return from Leeds which will give me chance to get back down from the hospital and get a bit of lunch.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I realise that it's a personal fault and something to do with age but the complications of that journey frighten me to death. Same syndrome as when I chucked my driving licences in, after all those years on the road I was frightened of traffic! Well done Ian!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I won't bother driving to Skipton and parking up either. I will get Sally to drop me off for the train. If you do park you can get a couple of quid back if you buy your tickets at the station. Not applicable to me as I already have the electronic ones bought and paid for. I'll get the bus back from Skipton if there is one in good time.

I didn't mention that if you buy online you do have the option of using the ticket vending machine at the station, you need the order reference and to let it see the same credit or debit card you used for the purchase and it spits out your tickets. Too much hassle, I have seen folk struggling with that in the past. I will trust the technology, apparently over 90% of travellers use the eTickets now.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 23 Oct 2021, 09:34 I didn't mention that if you buy online you do have the option of using the ticket vending machine at the station, you need the order reference and to let it see the same credit or debit card you used for the purchase and it spits out your tickets. Too much hassle, I have seen folk struggling with that in the past. I will trust the technology, apparently over 90% of travellers use the eTickets now.
Saves on paper too. I very rarely have a paper receipt, my bank pings me a message for any transactions and the majority of the bigger shops provide an online receipt.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I am going into hospital today. I need oxygen therapy. It will probably be hospice care. If I can write again I will, otherwise goodbye my friends.

Graham
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Graham - you are in my thoughts and I wish you the best. Grim news - thanks for letting us know the situation.
Come back - if and when you are able.
You are one of the good guys.
Thanks and fond wishes from Tripps.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh dear Graham, all our best to you and Mrs Graham.
We’ve loved interacting with you here in OG.

Wishing you the best of care.

Big hug and kiss to you both from Cathy and Marilyn. XxXx
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's the saddest but most courageous post I have ever seen on the site. It conceals some desperate weeks fighting for breath but not complaining. All I can do is thank you for being such a good friend and whatever is coming down the track, I hope it is peaceful, Goodbye Mate...Big hug from Stanley for both of you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There are no words...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Such sad news Graham, you will be missed.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thinking of you Graham.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Did you know that from 1st October we have a new "Office of Health Improvement and Disparities (OHID)". I didn't.

This is the press release for their launch. OHID

It's fully endorsed by Stephen Fry and Jay Blades (from The Workshop) so it must be a good thing. Their first campaign was on Mental Health. Just think about that for a moment - Stephen Fry endorsing a campaign on mental health. :laugh5:

Chris Whitty is in charge - he doesn't have much to do now since Covid is all over. Beyond comment.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, thanks again for alerting me to this. I see it is officially part of 'levelling up' and launched on October 1st. (Very quietly I must add.)
Forgive me for being cynical but I mistrust anything that relies so heavily on restating a bunch of bleeding obvious truths. As for Fry and Blades I don't have much time for either of them. I'm afraid this looks to me like another front on the public offensive to persuade us all that a bright new future is dawning if we can just get over the initial hurdle of an living in an economy that has been managed to death by governments who have concentrated on one thing, enabling the rich to get richer. The only people who are really caring for the poor are old fashioned organisations like the Rowntree Foundation and the Salvation Army. Don't expect that to change any time in the near future.
Oh, by the way, notice that any improvements will be down to people improving their employability or moving home. So if the initiative fails to produce the miracle it promises we all know who will be to blame.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 09:41 It's fully endorsed by Stephen Fry and Jay Blades (from The Workshop) so it must be a good thing. Their first campaign was on Mental Health. Just think about that for a moment - Stephen Fry endorsing a campaign on mental health.
OMG!! I wonder if I can sneak into one of those Bezos moonshots?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're the lucky ones Peter. Mother Nature will take care of our future shortly and relieve us of any worry or responsibility! As I say so often, it's my grand children and great grandchildren I think about. Note that I don't say 'worry', we had problems as well like Hitler and the atomic bomb but somehow managed to survive, I have no doubt they will as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Graham is on my mind.....
Ian is as well, is it today he goes to Leeds?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I have been wondering if Tize knows about Graham. I think Graham’s message came when Tize was on holiday.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”