MEDICAL MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 May 2021, 14:12
Big Kev wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:57
Stanley wrote: 10 May 2021, 13:56 60 is not ancient..... :biggrin2: (It's young in my book!)
Apparently it is when you're in your 30s :biggrin2:
Aye, and the younger ones won't believe you when you say that it only seems a blink of an eye since you were 30 as well. :extrawink:
My usual comment is 'I remember having hair' :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I dunno, you younguns thinking you are old!
If you keep searching you will find it
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sue wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:09
Marilyn wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:25 Just as an example, I can’t imagine any more than a nod if I told my husband “ I had a PAP smear today” or “I had a Mammogram today”. It is just one of those things....isn’t it?
Then you are unlucky
No, actually, I am very lucky. My first husband was a full on, turbo powered hypochondriac, ( and still is apparently!). It is not pleasant living with someone who constantly believes themselves to be ill, despite doctor’s reassurances that there is nothing wrong. Granted, he is an extreme example and I am not suggesting there would be too many folk at that end of the spectrum.
Son tells me there is one question he never asks his father. That question is “How are you Dad?”. Son says it isn’t worth losing an hour of his life hearing the answer! He jokes that his Dad has a dedicated car park outside the doctor’s surgery!
My second hubby has had some health problems, but never gets miserable about it and never dedicates any time to worrying unnecessarily.
60 is nowhere near old.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A diagnosis of possible cancer in my immediate family has now been investigated by biopsy and downgraded to a serious but manageable acute illness and we are looking at a far more cheerful outcome. This is a great weight off everyone's shoulders! :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Better news Stanley though it sounds like it will be a long haul for the family. Best wishes to everyone. :good:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes better news Stanley. Manageable brings lots of positives. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still a bummer of course but manageable. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Glad the health news for the family was better than anticipated Stanley .
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Marilyn wrote: 10 May 2021, 22:07
Sue wrote: 10 May 2021, 12:09
Marilyn wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:25 Just as an example, I can’t imagine any more than a nod if I told my husband “ I had a PAP smear today” or “I had a Mammogram today”. It is just one of those things....isn’t it?
Then you are unlucky
No, actually, I am very lucky. My first husband was a full on, turbo powered hypochondriac, ( and still is apparently!). It is not pleasant living with someone who constantly believes themselves to be ill, despite doctor’s reassurances that there is nothing wrong. Granted, he is an extreme example and I am not suggesting there would be too many folk at that end of the spectrum.
Son tells me there is one question he never asks his father. That question is “How are you Dad?”. Son says it isn’t worth losing an hour of his life hearing the answer! He jokes that his Dad has a dedicated car park outside the doctor’s surgery!
My second hubby has had some health problems, but never gets miserable about it and never dedicates any time to worrying unnecessarily.
60 is nowhere near old.
Life is too short to worry unduly about health matters, agreed. However its always good to know the support is there when needed even for the most minor of things, like a routine test. Being aware of a health issue, and talking about issues, which is what we were doing here does not make someone weak or a worrier or a hypochondriac. It makes them sensible.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Talking to a friend yesterday who when he gets his teeth into something he really digs deep. He mentioned that it was good news for prostrate cancer problems that they had identified a protein that was blocking the standard drug treatment. Fortunately a drug is already on the market that is used for other kinds of cancer that gets round this problem. :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to all of you. Yes, I feel a lot better this morning...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 11 May 2021, 02:52 A diagnosis of possible cancer in my immediate family has now been investigated by biopsy and downgraded to a serious but manageable acute illness and we are looking at a far more cheerful outcome. This is a great weight off everyone's shoulders! :biggrin2:
:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 11 May 2021, 07:49 Talking to a friend yesterday who when he gets his teeth into something he really digs deep. He mentioned that it was good news for prostrate cancer problems that they had identified a protein that was blocking the standard drug treatment. Fortunately a drug is already on the market that is used for other kinds of cancer that gets round this problem. :good:
Good stuff
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote: 11 May 2021, 07:21 Life is too short to worry unduly about health matters, agreed. However its always good to know the support is there when needed even for the most minor of things, like a routine test. Being aware of a health issue, and talking about issues, which is what we were doing here does not make someone weak or a worrier or a hypochondriac. It makes them sensible.
My thoughts exactly :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I did have a search back today....having raised the issue of Men’s health before. There were “no takers” at that time as any discussion about “men’s bits” was deemed inappropriate back then ( everyone huddled under their doonas not wanting to even acknowledge that men could possibly have problems. )
I am glad that it can be discussed now. That is a positive thing.
The old school believed that by discussing “Men problems” it meant questioning virility. Well...in some ways it actually does. BUT...we ALL want our men to be healthy and live a good life. Breaking through the old traditional barriers can only help that....surely!?
The more common this discussion becomes, the more barriers can be brought down. Things do not need to be suffered in a shroud of mystical mist anymore, when we all nod quietly at each other, without understanding how simple things actually are, and how positive things can be. The same goes for Bladder Cancer. :good:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Exactly Maz, in fact any serious illness that people try and ignore or hide. Speaking out, no matter how trivial someone thinks it is , helps break down barriers, and taboo and also helps to stop fear and scaremongering . Which reminds me I must see the Dr about a lump on my hand !

At that time perhaps no one was affected. Times change especially in the last couple of years where speaking out has been positively promoted in the media. We shouldn't look back at what was, we should look forward to tge positives and what will be
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:good:
( being told to buggar off was a bit harsh, but....anyway.... :biggrin2: )
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Another discussion we need to have one day....NOT NOW...but is how a couple can have a magnificently happy relationship even if Virility is an issue. Not going there today...but, given time, it may be open to discussion. It is a time when LOVE kicks in, rather than sex. A step too far just now, I totally agree.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Good news Stanley, manageable is always good to hear. :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Things do not need to be suffered in a shroud of mystical mist anymore, when we all nod quietly at each other, without understanding how simple things actually are, and how positive things can be. The same goes for Bladder Cancer."
I don't need to look it up Maz I still remember you telling me that Bladder cancer was nothing to worry about and how it hurt me at the time. I told you then that you should pipe down, my brother lost his prostate and his bladder to it and eventually his life. Don't bother to argue with me I shan't respond but put your brain in gear before you post nonsense like this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Yet you have survived... :good:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:48 I don't need to look it up Maz I still remember you telling me that Bladder cancer was nothing to worry about and how it hurt me at the time. I told you then that you should pipe down, my brother lost his prostate and his bladder to it and eventually his life.
The fact that Stanley has survived is not the point though is it Maz?
Stanley wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:48 put your brain in gear before you post nonsense like this.
I echo this comment.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My hubby has survived two episodes of bladder cancer. We do not show anger, just joy. :good:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Stanley, I can’t comment on your brother. Maybe he had problems he ignored until it was far too late. But you sought help, as my husband did, in good time.
Both good outcomes.
You can help others by sending a positive message about men’s health, instead of trashing me :good:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My husband’s only brother died of bowel cancer in his 20’s.
Hubby has an annual Colonoscopy in memory of him. Not pleasant, but he does it out of respect for his brother and the message he left about taking care of such things.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”