MEDICAL MATTERS

plaques
Donor

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by plaques »

One for the pedantics. Covid-19 is now said to be endemic, (long standing) but there are surges of new variants making them an epidemic of this variant. So do we now have a endemic epidemic. Just asking. :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

UK has had a spike in Covid cases as a result of the Queens Jubilee celebrations. Another is expected after the Glastonbury Festival.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken, I have had similar thoughts. When is a 'new variant' different enough to be regarded as a separate infection? Delta and Omicron are two good examples, they seem to a layman. to be different but are still regarded as Covid19.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Yesterday, Yes Sunday, saw me at Burnley Hospital for an Echo Cardiograph. Definitely Star Trek stuff. Must have taken 100s of images, valves flapping and blood flowing. Totally painless and out in 30 mins. Normally two weeks to get the results through. Seemed OK to me but what do I know.

The NHS came up good again.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sundays are like any other day in NHS as are scans at 9pm. 24/7 service, not many critical organisations can say that. I hope your results come out OK Ken.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cardiology at Burnley is normally closed down on weekends. The place was like a ghost town. Masses of parking places but nobody inside to ask where to go.

Not too worried about the results, nobody improves with ageing. If they say 10 years I can go along with that. :laugh5:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Does anyone know how Pluggy is doing these days?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've seen him about using his electric wheelchair and spoke to him briefly a few days ago. So I can report that he's alive and mobile.
Airedale have contacted me with another Cystoscopy appointment. I shall call them this morning and defer again as I am asymptomatic and there are plenty of people who need their services far more than me. How long do they expect me to live anyway?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I was in Montreal I met a man who had a good reputation for treating hyperactive children. He used caffeine to make them more hyperactive but then encouraged them to dance and burn off their energy that way. He was very successful and I remember him telling me that often the sign that a child's condition was about to improve was a sharp regression. Two steps back and one forwards as he put it.
I remembered them man yesterday. I started the day with a storm in my damaged shoulder but during the day it receded and it feels much better this morning without any medication at all. Let's hope we make more progress today.
As I said somewhere else, I know I am a whingeing old bugger but old age isn't for cissies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good to hear that Pluggy is alive and mobile :smile: :good:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The number of people contracting Covid is reported to have risen by a third in a week. I know I am constantly being told not to worry. But is is rather a lot!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently it is now 1 in 30 who have Covid!
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 12:05 The number of people contracting Covid is reported to have risen by a third in a week. I know I am constantly being told not to worry. But is is rather a lot!
A third of what though? What are the figures?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 14:04 Apparently it is now 1 in 30 who have Covid!
It was 1 in 13 when we caught it at the beginning of March, a rise was predicted following the platinum jubilee celebrations and Glastonbury. I wonder how many other diseases saw an increase after those events?
Hospital admissions are up slightly but Covid is no longer the primary cause for it.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... /hospitals
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The care home told this afternoon me that four members of staff have Covid, but all residents have been tested, and none of them is positive. I think they'd have locked the place down for that - and not so long ago.

I'll be fine though because I've been vaccinated four times. That's how it works isn't it?

Driving home - that was dashed as I heard someone on the radio (Doctor? ) saying that "of course this is not a 'sterilising vaccine' and your resistance can decrease in time. He said 17 % of new cases were having it for the second or even third time.

That's the first time I've heard the phrase 'sterilising vaccine'.

Permission to be worried Captain Mainwaring. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just turned down an invite to listen to a choir in a couple of weeks time. Sitting in a room full of senior citizens for a hour and half while 50 singer blast their harmony out seems a bit too risky to me. Am I getting a bit too paranoid or applying common sense?
To paraphrase Tennyson. Into Gods waiting room sat the covid fodder.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My opinion is that you are being sensible Ken. I know there is less chance of me dying from Covid now than there was two years ago thanks to my full complement of four jabs but Covid is still nasty so I'll continue to take my precautions thank you.....
(Is there a vaccination for old shoulder injuries?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 03:46 Ken, I have had similar thoughts. When is a 'new variant' different enough to be regarded as a separate infection? Delta and Omicron are two good examples, they seem to a layman. to be different but are still regarded as Covid19.
The nearest analogy I can come up with is a car. My mini countryman has many different features than the one I had before, which too had extras that were not on the basic model, but its still a countryman. All mini countryman cars have the same basic features but the different features allow it to behave is different ways to the same situation. When the manufacturers decide to alter the basic features completely , they stop producing it and often relaunch under a different name . Covid isn’t at the relaunch stage yet. The basic features are the same but the spike protein has altered causing different symptoms . Ie like me, I am still the sameas a year ago but now I have grey hair and not brown... :laugh5:
If you keep searching you will find it
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 18:44 The care home told this afternoon me that four members of staff have Covid, but all residents have been tested, and none of them is positive. I think they'd have locked the place down for that - and not so long ago.

I'll be fine though because I've been vaccinated four times. That's how it works isn't it?
4 pops, so less likely to die immediately from it. See Covid Corner for a few stats on rising care home deaths from the last fornight (too many Jubilee Celebrations?)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whyperion wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 08:14 4 pops, so less likely to die immediately from it
Thanks - it's reassuring to know that. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well Pharmacy are taking bookings for the annual flu jab.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've heard that the flu and covid-19 vaccines might be given at the same appointment, where both are required by the recipient. I tried to find more information but found nothing positive. However I did chance on this interesting information in a Nature article from May this year...
`Flu vaccine could cut COVID risk' Nature
`Influenza vaccines have a surprising health benefit: they might also prevent COVID-19, particularly in its most severe forms. A study of more than 30,000 health-care workers in Qatar found that those who got a flu jab were nearly 90% less likely to develop severe COVID-19 over the next few months, compared with those who hadn’t been recently vaccinated against flu.'...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good news from the hospital today...
20220708_094459.jpg
Just need my leg to sort itself out now :good:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Kev, one less thing to worry about. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 08:50 Excellent Kev, one less thing to worry about. :smile:
:good:

Had a call from the DVT clinic checking up in me. Got to go and get measured for a compression stocking. Very fetching :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”