MEDICAL MATTERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by PanBiker »

We both slept a lot better last night and are feeling more or less back to normal.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good. Peter is right, be kind to yourselves and each other and take it easy. There can still be repercussions. My daughter Susan has proved that with her sarcoidosis. (The latest news on that is that it 'may' gradually recede over time but there is no effective treatment other than massive doses of steroids if it gets a lot worse. You don't want to get anywhere near that!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've mentioned before that I have a cousin, in her 80s, whose daughter and her family live near us. She lived in her own flat and daughter provided for any of her needs. Then she she began to have some bouts of mental illness and had to move to an Extra Care Housing Scheme (`Self-contained accommodation which enable tenants to live independently, but with the security and peace of mind that there are staff available 24hrs a day in the event they are needed') and have carers coming in every day. Now the illness has progressed to the point where she has hallucinations (people standing in the corner of the room etc).

On Sunday her daughter told us the latest problem - the doctor says mum should go into hospital for observation but that's not as easy as it sounds. The care company won't let mum be taken without her own agreement even though daughter has power of attorney because they say mum still `has capacity' to make her own decisions'. Yet in practice she's not capable of making any decisions. Catch 22! We ran into problems like this with our own parents when they were in care. There are too many different `agencies' involved. The NHS, the care company, the local social services, the accommodation company etc and they seem to be incapable of communicating with each other were necessary.

There has been more stress for daughter because mum's flat has to be sold to pay for her care. It was put on the market a year ago, eventually got a buyer but that fell through because the buyer decided (late on in the process) that the leasehold was too short. Daughter paid to have it extended, which took time. Then there was a buyer but she pulled out too. She wanted to see a copy of the accounts of the leaseholder because the lease was bought out a few years ago by the residents (and she just happened to be a solicitor!). The leaseholder committee replied to say they don't keep accounts (can you believe that!). She dropped out and the flat went back on the market. I think there's another buyer now.

On top of all this another problem has arisen. Daughter has an older brother `up north' and he's suddenly decided to come down here and take mum back with him! Daughter can't get him to accept how serious mum's condition is and that his action would cause her distress. We await further news.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley has mentioned many time the dire position that the NHS is in as a result of underfunding I think this Link sys it all. Its all summed up in this chart.

NHS Spending. 1 .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Ken, never seen it laid out so clearly. What an indictment of Cameron, Osborne and Austerity. Grounds for prosecution I reckon....
Pater I recognise the element in your story about the flat, the leasehold and the difficulties that can cause. We are in the middle (or perhaps near the end now.) of just such a process in regards to my brother's flat. Would you believe the London solicitors came up with a 90 year increase of the lease for £xthousand and our trustee (who is brilliant) got an offer from the leaseholder of a 900 year extension for half the price.... Jarndyce and Jarndyce has nothing on these sharks!
That's my main reason for staying alive. If I die the legacy dies with me even though I have added a deed of variation to the will and the money goes straight to my daughters. There are some callous buggers out there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon that chart should be shown on every publicly available display board until folk get the message. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We have both come down with one of the heavy cold variants. Sally has a hacking cough and mine is more of an occasional involuntary wheezy type. We both did Lateral Flow tests yesterday which came out negative so that's a bonus. :smile:

I have sent our apologies for the all members meeting of the CLP tonight which we would normally attend. We have also cancelled a planned games night tomorrow night with a couple of bubble friends, wouldn't want to pass this on.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck both of you.... You do right, stay at home and eat good grub!
Remember what your mother said.... "Feed a cold and starve a fever".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS article setting out some of the statistics behind the current move in the US Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade which was the ruling that allowed abortion in America.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Trigger of rare blood clots with AstraZeneca jab found by scientists' LINK
An important point made in this article: A spokeswoman for AstraZeneca stressed that clots were more likely to occur because of a Covid infection than the vaccine...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 02 Dec 2021, 09:31 A spokeswoman for AstraZeneca stressed

Forgive a touch of doubt here - I really don't know what is actually the truth, but - the AZ 'vaccine' is no longer being used at all in this country despite it being easier to manage and cheaper. AZ ultra rare side effect

"AstraZeneca scientists also took part in the research".

The words and the actions don't quite seem to match. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny you should say that David but I get the impression that AZ is only being used as an El Cheapo that doesn't need anything beyond normal refrigeration and is therefore being used in the 'Third World'. (What a horrible phrase that is....)
"A spokesperson for the company told the BBC: “Although the research is not definitive, it offers interesting insights and AstraZeneca is exploring ways to leverage these findings as part of our efforts to remove this extremely rare side effect.”"
Is that management speak for 'we have sod all of interest to say'?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard Jeremy Hunt calling for an investigation into the funding models used bye hedge fund owners of social care homes who make sure that profits from the operation are soaked up in excessive interest charges on large loans, the payment of the interest going overseas. This is the same model used by many foreign owners of British businesses and yes it need investigating as it is a way of making the businesses 'Tax efficient'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I reckon this should be in the Shed Matters thread really as it was pretty much designed and put together in one
https://www.freethink.com/health/this-a ... diyscience
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 16:51 I reckon this should be in the Shed Matters thread really as it was pretty much designed and put together in one
I await Stanley's next project
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 18:14
Big Kev wrote: 16 Dec 2021, 16:51 I reckon this should be in the Shed Matters thread really as it was pretty much designed and put together in one
I await Stanley's next project
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit beyond my plumbing skills lads!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I have been laid low for a few days, hopefully it’s just the flu (have felt shocking).
Tomorrow I will get my doctor on the phone to refer me for an at-home Covid test. 🙁
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whatever, as long as you are getting over it Cathy. Lots to be said actually for having a mild case of Covid.....
Look after yourself.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hope you feel better soon Cathy.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Get well soon Cathy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy, can you get free covid lateral flow tests from the chemist's shop like we can here? I hope you're beginning to feel better!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

All the best Cathy for a speedy recovery whatever it is.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thank you all for your concern.
Home testing kits 🤔, to my knowledge No.
Some interstates might. I did scroll a gov. health site for here, then asked the question and was told ‘no results found’. But cases are rising quickly here after the borders were re-opened, a few weeks ago. God help us by the end of January, I predict a Lock-Down.
I imagine we (SA) will hear about them soon.

I can actually swallow today... yippee 😊
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds as though you are mending a little Cathy. Good! Throats love gargling with salt water.... but you knew that didn't you. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”