MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

Unfortunately that level of non-attendance is normal at GP appointments too at most surgeries and has been for a long time now.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Disgraceful really.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps the surgeries should get together with a supermarket chain to give Tesco points or their equivalent to people who attend their appointment on time. The big grocers know more about psychology than the NHS does! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm afraid this bears out my opinion that there are many in this world who live chaotic lives and the concept of punctual attendance has no meaning for them. If the doctor was to act in the same irresponsible way they would be severely disciplined. Why should the same not apply in reverse?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to see recognition of this - it's what I experienced in the mid-1990s after a very bad respiratory virus infection but all the the medics could say then was `The virus has got into your nervous system and upset it'. That upset has lasted a long time and I'm still left with some of the effects. I noticed the last sentence in the article: `"Long-term symptoms from flu have probably been overlooked before." Too true!
`People also suffer 'long flu', study shows' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very true Peter and as you know I have a daughter who is suffering from this syndrome at the moment. Nobody has decided as yet what the cause is of her untreatable condition. They know what it is and where it is but beyond that, zilch.
I often wonder why I don't seem to have these sorts of ailments. All I can do is put it down to 'genes'. One thing is certain, if the seeming invulnerability can be extracted and passed to others it should be!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some of it will be genetic but there will also be a large element of luck - depending on whether you get one of the viruses that can cause a lasting effect, or not.

My sister-in-law babysat one of her grandchildren recently and caught from it one of those `colds from hell' that people are now complaining about. Both the child's parents went down with it too. They were were all `out of action' for a couple of weeks. So that's another good reason for keeping up the covid defence strategies!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Indeed. I can't remember when I last had a cold. I suspect I have been 'shielding' for a lot longer than the Covid pandemic! When It started I said that basically I was anti-social because I never ended up in enclosed rooms with strangers....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan's experience with the long Covid investigation is interesting. A lot of effort is being put into it with home visits as well as appointments at a facility for blood and other tests. They are being very thorough and taking her through a number of strategies which cover all aspects of her life. The nurse practitioner tells Susan that one of the reasons why she is getting such concentrated attention is because she is engaging fully with the programme. The nurse says that most of the people on the programme are not taking full advantage of it. Such a shame..... Rather like the people who simply fail to arrive for surgery and other appointments.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We got our appointments today for our flu jabs at the surgery, I'm first and Sally is a minute behind me, (probably 30 seconds) next Saturday 9th October. Our Covid booster should be around the same date in November. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 16:36 We got our appointments today for our flu jabs at the surgery, I'm first and Sally is a minute behind me, (probably 30 seconds) next Saturday 9th October.
We were originally 2 hours apart but, after a quick phone call, we went in together (literally). All very organised, in the front door and out the back.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan said she was in and out so fast she barely had time to button her coat up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I received a message on my mobile phone - an offer so good I struggled to ignore it!

Anorectal examination in October for 10 yuan [just over £1] (original price 230 yuan) [about £25]... :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 16:57
PanBiker wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 16:36 We got our appointments today for our flu jabs at the surgery, I'm first and Sally is a minute behind me, (probably 30 seconds) next Saturday 9th October.
We were originally 2 hours apart but, after a quick phone call, we went in together (literally). All very organised, in the front door and out the back.
Ours are the Saturday we get back. Although we have consecutive times they always see us together. This year over 60s are to enter by the back door and over 70s by the front, no doubt we will all leave by the side entrance . We have always been impreesed by the surgeries efficiency here. Its about all they get a plus for 🙁
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine is tomorrow at 14:45 at the Well pharmacy. In the shop door and turn sharp right. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterday was the third anniversary of of my craniotomy to remove my brain tumour. Post op in the HDU and just about now I was being hooked up to the hubble bubble machine that vended sterile water as steam to drive air bubbles from my head, full face mask job and not very nice as you felt like you were drowning! When Mr Anderson came to see me he soon knocked that on the head. :smile:

Any way, as if by magic I received my appointment for my three year contrasted MRI scan today. Back to St James's this year Thursday 28th October 11.40. I will need to set off just after 9am I reckon for a train from Skipton. I will have to get the right bus up to the hospital from a choice of four, they all go past the hospital but some go a proper merry dance around the ring road, some are more direct. It doesn't say whether I will be in the mobile scanner which is where I went the last time I was at Jimmie's. The map provided doesn't actually show the road or the block where the scanner lives. I think we got a taxi the last time at that venue which was my first annual post op scan at the time.

I might study my options and drive, it might be easier.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Spooky, I was thinking I would take the Buffoon's advice and increase my income by becoming a brain surgeon. Of course I would have to start on something simple. Then remembering the Buffoon I thought 'ideal' not much simpler than that.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20211006-131028_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Done bit of furtling regarding the buses up to Jimmie's from the station. Looks like there have been big changes for the Leeds bus network. The entire city is now in colour coded zones which was brought in during spring this year. Looks like there is no pick up either from outside the railway station which seems a bit odd. Most routes now start from City Square and bob of into the different zoned areas. Only a two minute walk from the station so not too bad. I then have the choice of four different buses, one every few minutes that all go on the same route which includes Beckett Street which is where I need to get off. Its then about another five minutes to walk along Alma Street through to the new unit which is indeed next to Block 51, there's a big sign on it that says just that. :smile:

I looked on Google Street Map and it looks like the mobile scanner has now been replaced by a dedicated Imaging Suite. Google street image data was from March this year and it looks like the car parking area adjacent is just being finished off. There is also a multi story car park opposite. I wonder if that was why I was switched to LGI last year? It would probably be around the time they were building the new unit at St James's. This new Imaging Centre is separate from the in house scanning facilities for the hospital in building 33. So I think it has been built to take the referrals and outpatients burden. I reckon the mobile unit was a temporary measure while this was being built.

I looked at the car park charges and I would need £4.50 worth for the two hours they recommend plus the fuel there and back. Probably not a lot of cost difference between the train and bus or driving. I hate driving in or around cities, everyone else knows where they are going. I will probably defer to the public transport options.

I have posted this in here although not directly medical related but relevant for anyone else that has to get to Jimmie's.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just the right place for it I reckon Ian.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall make a call to the surgery today to see if I can book a flu vaccine with them after being let down by Well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This may be useful before you call the surgery
Screenshot_20211008-080108_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev, I went back in the topic and read it then called the surgery. bit of a wait for a response but then an instant solution. Next Friday at 15:45, flu jab at the surgery. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

If there is another clinic on Friday I will ring when I get my results back and update them.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”