MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

When I first saw this BBC story two days ago I passed it by but happened to see it again today and decided to have a look....
`Persistent cough may be tuberculosis not Covid, doctor warns' LINK
I'm glad I did - there's more to it than the title suggests. What caught my attention was this part...
In 2021, Ukraine treated 24,000 people with TB including 5,000 with a drug-resistant form of the illness. The country is among one of the 30 countries with highest rates of drug-resistant cases in the world. The charity is urging all countries to put facilities in place urgently so refugees can be given the care they need. In the UK a requirement for Ukrainians to take a TB test before arrival has been waived for those who are coming to the country on the family scheme visa. Refugees arriving on the scheme will get medical care and testing via GPs. Meanwhile Dr Jenny Harries, chief executive of the UK Health Security Agency, said delayed diagnosis and treatment, particularly during the pandemic, will have increased the number of undetected cases in England.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fog of Covid has obscured many other conditions. The backlog of operations in hospitals is only part of the story.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is good news and should pave the way for a vaccine to prevent and to treat the disease. The virus causes degradation of the myelin sheath, which insulates our nerve fibres like the plastic around an electric wire...
`Is a virus we all have causing multiple sclerosis?' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This disease has been a major concern to me and my family for over thirty years. A life has been totaly ruined for the last fifteen. I know a lot about it. I can't count how many good news stories have been in the media over that time. Not one has come to anything.

A revolutionary drug - which was expensive and not available on rNHS - sufferers had to fight and campaign to get it - actually made things worse, and it's not heard of much now.

I know a lot about this disease. I wish I didn't.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Which reinforces what I say many times, I have been so lucky! My friend Daniel, has MS and is enjoying a period of remission. He pushed the boat out and flew out to Germany to give a lecture on his photos at Darmstadt. Others I know have not seen any remission. It is so unpredictable and a cruel disease. For what it's worth you have my sympathy David.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PS.
I'll say no more on the subject -I've already said more than I would normally do. :smile:

This is from The Guardian many years ago, and I've had to go via a VPN to find it as there is no evidence of the antics via a normal google search. It's not hard to consider the pharmaceutical industry in a bad light. I'm quite sure they have 'got at' google to skew the search results. Perhaps this is why I'm cautious about the Covid so called 'vaccine'.

The drug is Beta Interferon which has several proprietary names. promoted in press and TV News items by PR companies which results in sufferers demanding to have it.

"Does this mean that the drug will not be available to any MS sufferers?
No. It will be available on the NHS to those already on a course of the drug, and it will be available to anyone who wants to pay privately for treatment. It will not generally be available on the NHS; however, around one in six MS patients will qualify for treatment under a "compromise" deal brokered between the government and the pharmaceutical companies, announced on February 4 2002.

Who will qualify?
Around 9,000 MS sufferers in England and Wales and a further 1,600 in Scotland. These patients will have the relapsing/remitting form of MS or secondary progressive MS in which relapses are the dominant feature. The effectiveness of the drug for each patient will be monitored on an annual basis, and if the drugs are not fully effective, the cost to the NHS will fall."

"and if the drugs are not fully effective, the cost to the NHS will fall."

They were not and it did. No longer used I believe in the NHS. I think they are trying to get it accepted as a treatment for Covid now !!!

Or read this for another beacon of false hope. Stem Cell miracles Panorama did a feature on it. Only available in Holland as I recall, and no use whatever.

I do wish I didn't know any of this stuff. Just typing it brings back many bad memories, and gets me angry - at fate of course - but made worse by the drugs industry.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Big pharma is a conundrum isn't it. They do so much good but at the same time have been responsible for some disasters and all the while they seem to be ruled by greed. I don't think I am qualified to make a decision on them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Last day for Olive Oil in my ears today. My head feels like it is awash. I have been alternating ears for the drops each day. Could not fit in the three drops in each ear, three times a day for three weeks as requested though. I would have been doing nothing else! If you don't lay on your side for 5 minutes at each session I find that it all runs out and I was told not to use cotton wool. A good proportion of the drops still run out even after the 5 minutes! Anyway we will see what the nurse says tomorrow, it will be right or it won't.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 12:49 Last day for Olive Oil in my ears today. My head feels like it is awash. I have been alternating ears for the drops each day. Could not fit in the three drops in each ear, three times a day for three weeks as requested though. I would have been doing nothing else! If you don't lay on your side for 5 minutes at each session I find that it all runs out and I was told not to use cotton wool. A good proportion of the drops still run out even after the 5 minutes! Anyway we will see what the nurse says tomorrow, it will be right or it won't.
Paulette did the oil thing for 5 days, with cotton wool 🤷‍♂️ the instruction seems to be different for different places. She went to a place in Silsden and had both ears 'hoovered' out.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, it's strange how the instructions vary. Mine were direct from the health centre when I booked the appointment. Personally I can't see what difference it makes.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Went to the Bowls Club again at Cambridge this afternoon for a Spring Booster Covid injection.

Considered not going, but I'll spare you the full background thinking behind the decision.

Interesting that in contrast with the last time, the number of staff present outnumbered the patients by a comfortable ratio of twenty to one. More or less - I was the sole patient, and there were many fully staffed injection stations. I wasn't surprised as I had a huge choice of appointment times on the online application.

They gave me a half dose of 'Moderna Spikevax'. I rather boldly asked "why - when I'd previously had three Pfizers"? The lady said "that's what's given to all the booster category".

I see - said I.

They said no need to wait 15 minutes, but best not drive for that time - just sit in the car. I did that. If I'd been a dog someone would have surely alerted the RSPCA. I survived. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 24 Apr 2022, 15:20 Aye, it's strange how the instructions vary. Mine were direct from the health centre when I booked the appointment. Personally I can't see what difference it makes.
They wouldn't do Paulette's at the health centre, said they don't clear ears anymore
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I was directed to Colne Health Centre by our surgery in Barlick as they apparently don't provide the service at the Rainhall Centre any more. The receptionist at Colne had no problem in making my appointment for the session there. I was given the oiling guidance to be taken prior to the appointment at the same time. I suppose I will find out tomorrow what the deal is.

I received a text reminder today for the appointment and told not to rock up if I have a persistent cough or a fever and only to take one other person with me if required.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We are all different aren't we! I find that the best thing for my ears is to make sure I drink plenty of water.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Colne Health centre do a water irrigation but not micro-suction. Sainbury's do a micro-suction but not irrigation. Neither of them will touch an ear that is perforated.

"We are all different aren't we! I find that the best thing for my ears is to make sure I drink plenty of water....."

That made me smile, we often saw cartoons with steam coming out of their ears but not water. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good result, nurse at Colne Health Centre has sorted my ears. Left completely blocked and now clear, right just a mild flush. Both eardrums in good nick and I am now back to hearing in full stereo. Bonus, no apparent tinnitus :smile: :good:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Excellent stuff.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken, the fluid in the tubes that governs my ability to balance seems to be affected by the amount of water I drink. Not noticed any steam as yet...... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Interesting developments yesterday, I have a fat leg. A few blood tests later and I'm now full of blood thinners and awaiting a call from the Blackburn DVT centre. Apparently it's not something I could just 'walk off' :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear that Kev. I hope you get back to normal quickly.
I say it so often. I am so lucky, it will run out one of these days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

You have had a few documented ailments. I consider it a bonus to wake up every morning, even at the tender age of 61 :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good luck with that Kev, glad you are being fast tracked into the system.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 03 May 2022, 09:20 Good luck with that Kev, glad you are being fast tracked into the system.
Thanks Ian, just had a call from the DVT clinic, leg scan this afternoon at BGH.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I hope it goes well Kev. Cat, MRI or Ultrasound?

It was ultrasound when I had my carotid arteries scanned and the same for an aorta scan.

Spooky, just checked and the aorta scan was three years ago to the day, 3rd May 2019.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's ultrasound, they tried getting me in yesterday but they had the day off. I thought I would have to go to Blackburn but, fortunately for me, it's Burnley.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”