MEDICAL MATTERS

plaques
Donor

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by plaques »

I did a similar injury about 3 years ago. The swelling at that time was about what you would expect from tearing nearly 4 inches of skin off your leg. I didn't need pressure bandages but was given some socks off the shelf sort of speak not like the bespoke ones I have now. By comparison they were easy to get on/off these are made in Germany ( Wir haben Möglichkeiten, Sie zum Reden zu bringenare) and are so tight my cap doesn't fit when I'm wearing them.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 08:36 My first week in high fashion hosiery. Clam down its not what you think. For those readers who need bringing up to speed some months ago I was stupid enough to make a hole in my lower leg which then having a mind of its own ballooned up to nearly double its normal size. Although there is still an ongoing debate in the medical circles as to why this happened the nurses at the practical end applied pressure bandages to help the wound heal and get the swelling down. This worked at treat hence the move to a compression stocking or hosiery in more polite circles.
First the detail. The stockings were supplied by Sigvaris, probably a more suitable name would have been Python or Bulldog, their grip and tenacity is ferocious. Supplied with a silk fitting slipper to help in getting the blighters on they are unfortunately too short for those of us with normal size feet in the size 10 to 12 range. Also recommended as an extra to the stockings is an aid much like the section of a plastic drainpipe which as events unfolded became an indispensable bit of kit.
The problem was to get this narrow high tensile stocking over the heal of the foot which is about three times the diameter of the ankle where the measurements for the sock were taken. The first action was to stretch the calf of the sock over the drainpipe until the heal was at the top of the pipe. Then balancing precariously on one leg dip the toe, which is now slightly behind you into the pipe and then thrust downward until the big toe hits the ground. Obviously a second person is required to stop the pipe finishing up in the next room and to stop the sock slithering off to gather up round the instep rather than sliding past the heal. If all goes well and assuming you don't have the flexibility of a contortionist it then becomes their next job to drag it up the leg into place. A pair of Marigold gloves is recommended to grip the python.
The next piece of fun and games is getting the sock off. Unless you have arms like an Orangutan you are left resorting to rolling the sock down then searching for shoehorns and anything else which may help you lever it off. Easiest by far is to get the willing helper to take hold of the cuff and drag it off while securing yourself to a chair to avoid being dragged round the room.

Let this be a warning to those with fat legs who aspire to be catwalk models :laugh5:
Have you ever considered submitting this to the Oldie Magazine - you might even get NUJ word rate for it
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 19 Jul 2022, 14:18 Have you ever considered submitting this to the Oldie Magazine - you might even get NUJ word rate for it
I would much prefer for them to sign up to OG and drop a few bob in the donation box.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Reported in the Press today - from a scientist

Depression is not a chemical imbalance in the brain and scientists have no idea how antidepressants work, a review by University College London has concluded. Although one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants – most of which act by maintaining serotonin levels – the new analysis suggests depression is not actually caused by low levels of serotonin.

Instead, depression may be more strongly equated with negative life events which lower mood, the review found.

Since the 1990s, antidepressant use has grown alongside the theory that the drugs establish correct levels of chemicals in the brain but researchers say that is unfounded.

If this is true - and I've really no idea - is it reasonable to ask where was the 'science' when these drugs were introduced? Why was this not spotted during the (presumed) long intensive pre launch testing. These drugs have caused some benefit, but much misery, and made an enormous amount of money for the pharmaceutical industry. Was the science 'settled'?

"Caveat Patiens". :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 13:27 Instead, depression may be more strongly equated with negative life events which lower mood, the review found.
I suppose for those who can afford it wine, red or white, appears to be the answer. Gives you a nice glow and steadies you up in fact you can get that steady you can't move.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, if that report is correct it's a disgrace and yet another example of how Big Pharma manipulates the market in search of profit. I wonder what the same researchers make of the reports of suicides caused by anti-depressants which have been rubbished by other studies?
It reinforces my Old Fart contention that tells me to distrust claims that pills can 'cure' things. Think of Statins in the same category. Even my doctor has attempted to get me on them and I am told that once you start you can't stop.
No, I suspect Ken has the answer..... in moderation a drop of the hard stuff probably does more good and it certainly won't drive you to suicide!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you caught any of the 'Sliced Bread' series on R4? Today's episode fits this topic because it examines 'fat-burning pills'. it's on in five minutes. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 13:27 Reported in the Press today - from a scientist

Depression is not a chemical imbalance in the brain and scientists have no idea how antidepressants work, a review by University College London has concluded. Although one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants – most of which act by maintaining serotonin levels – the new analysis suggests depression is not actually caused by low levels of serotonin.

Instead, depression may be more strongly equated with negative life events which lower mood, the review found.

Since the 1990s, antidepressant use has grown alongside the theory that the drugs establish correct levels of chemicals in the brain but researchers say that is unfounded.

If this is true - and I've really no idea - is it reasonable to ask where was the 'science' when these drugs were introduced? Why was this not spotted during the (presumed) long intensive pre launch testing. These drugs have caused some benefit, but much misery, and made an enormous amount of money for the pharmaceutical industry. Was the science 'settled'?

"Caveat Patiens". :smile:
Was there any significant difference between pills containing something and those containing nothing , or do they all really contain nothing and we are not told. Is most of any persons improvement to much illness generally the drinking of the half a glass of water at the hours of the day ?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 13:27 Reported in the Press today - from a scientist. Depression is not a chemical imbalance in the brain and scientists have no idea how antidepressants work, a review by University College London has concluded. Although one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants – most of which act by maintaining serotonin levels – the new analysis suggests depression is not actually caused by low levels of serotonin.
There is a statement in the report that needs attention: one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants. This is not the same as saying `one in six adults in England are currently prescribed medication for depression' and it therefore leads to confusion. Many drugs are now prescribed for several unrelated conditions and this is known as `off label' prescribing. It is allowed when a drug has been found to be effective against a condition different from the one it was originally developed to treat (like dexamethasone now being used to treat covd-19). Antidepressants are frequently prescribed for insomnia but at the lowest dose and one tablet to be taken before going to bed. For example I now sleep badly and have an antidepressant, amitriptyline, prescribed for this (and I can confirm it works!). It's the lowest dose tablet and I only take one when needed. Millions of Brits have insomnia and many will be given antidepressants for that condition. So the statement `one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants' does not indicate how many are taking them for depression.
Tripps wrote: 20 Jul 2022, 13:27 ...where was the 'science' when these drugs [antidepressants] were introduced? Why was this not spotted during the (presumed) long intensive pre launch testing. These drugs have caused some benefit, but much misery, and made an enormous amount of money for the pharmaceutical industry. Was the science 'settled'?
Keep in mind that there are scientists working for the pharma companies and scientists working on pharma studies outside the private sector. The pharma industry, like many other industries, has the ability to promote its own agenda and swamp the concerns of `outside' scientists like the coal and oil industries have done to smother the concerns of public-funded climate scientists.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I understand the point about medicines being prescribed for different complaints but does this matter when what is being discussed is possible side-effects. I am thinking about the debate as to whether 'anti-depressants' were an element in the rise of suicides amongst young people. As I understand it the pharma companies argued against and it was the independent scientists who argued that they were a factor. (Surprise surprise!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My insurance company have booked some physio for me. I think there's a bit of tendon damage in my forearms, particularly the left one. It's not until August 17th so there might be some improvement before then. P says she doesn't need any, she has some big old bruises but otherwise seems OK
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sensible to go with the flow Kev. You can never be sure until injuries have had time to become clear. I know I'm older and more fragile than you but two months after my fall and the cut on my head I am still coping with the damage to my shoulder.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad to see that at last the NHS is closing down its Tavistock & Portman NHS Foundation Trust gender identity clinic for children. Two years ago I wrote about it on OG and even then started with `The Times has been warning about the Tavistock Clinic for a long time'. Why was it allowed to continue damaging children for so many years? One reason is now revealed by Kemi Badenoch, the former equalities minister - `groupthink' (her word) by Whitehall civil servants. She had to over-rule them in order to speak to one of the child patients. They told her the Tavistock was getting `unfair bad press' and she says they were `terrified of controversy'. Now an investigation is seeking to contact 9000 people who were treated there as children, at least 1000 of them having been referred for puberty blockers.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 14:37 My insurance company have booked some physio for me. I think there's a bit of tendon damage in my forearms, particularly the left one. It's not until August 17th so there might be some improvement before then. P says she doesn't need any, she has some big old bruises but otherwise seems OK
Running the pipework around the kitchen wasn't such a good idea, pins and needles in my left hand and the muscles are tightening up in my neck and shoulders. I will be resting for a bit. Airbags and car crashes have a lot to answer for.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nether is falling over Kev. I am still suffering from that fall two moths ago. I think the basis of that is a torn tendon.... Now its my foot. As my mate Ernie used to say, "don't mention pain to me, I've got seven."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 13:38 Running the pipework around the kitchen wasn't such a good idea, pins and needles in my left hand and the muscles are tightening up in my neck and shoulders. I will be resting for a bit. Airbags and car crashes have a lot to answer for.
There's not much you can do about it. The only thing is some very light movements that stop it stiffening up altogether. There are some exercises on YouTube with no guarantee they will cure but may help to retain movement. Join the club. :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 03 Aug 2022, 08:21
Big Kev wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 13:38 Running the pipework around the kitchen wasn't such a good idea, pins and needles in my left hand and the muscles are tightening up in my neck and shoulders. I will be resting for a bit. Airbags and car crashes have a lot to answer for.
There's not much you can do about it. The only thing is some very light movements that stop it stiffening up altogether. There are some exercises on YouTube with no guarantee they will cure but may help to retain movement. Join the club. :laugh5:
I thought it was getting better :biggrin2:
I have some physiotherapy booked in the next couple of weeks, I've also found a wrist support in the back of the sock drawer which helps.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken is right, it comes under the heading of keep buggering on.
In my case of course I have no problems about admitting that its age. I've always said that when I was young I healed up after the day's work in a couple of hours but then it took longer. Now it's bloody weeks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But good luck with the physio Kev..... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Take care, Kev. :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"Vaccine-derived poliovirus has been detected in sewage in Barnet, Brent, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Islington, and Waltham Forest".

What's 'vaccine derived polio' ?

Seems the answer to it, is to vaccinate all children up to age 9 in London.

Can I be forgiven for being puzzled by that? Hopefully more will emerge.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 12:46 What's 'vaccine derived polio' ?
Western countries inject an inactivated virus that poses no risk of spread and they have become polio-free. Poor countries rely on an oral vaccine which is made with living, weakened virus. It's cheap and easy to administer but those who've been immunized with live virus can shed it in their stool, which can then spread through sewage in places with poor sanitation. If the virus stays weak, it can expose the unvaccinated to polio and give them immunity. But if it mutates and regains virulence, someone who isn't vaccinated can become sick with vaccine-derived polio after contact with the contaminated wastewater.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I found this IPV and OPV Polio vaccines

It's clearly wrtten and I think I get it. Looks like a strong case for stopping the OPV (Sabin live weakened sugar lump) vaccine, and using the IPV (Salk dead virus injected).

That's a big ask. Health workers have been killed as I recall for taking the OPV vaccine to rural areas.

Still - takes your mind off Covid.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Still - takes your mind off Covid."

I like your style David.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That article is a good, accurate and concise summary, Tripps. The difficulty of switching the world from OPV to IPV has unfortunately increased due to the collapse of cooperation between many countries around the world and the rise in antivax misinformation which particularly targets anything injected into people. At least there's an improved OPV in the pipeline: LINK

Here's today's BBC news on the polio issue...
`Polio: Do we have to worry about it once again?' LINK

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”