MEDICAL MATTERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Stanley »

No pressure yet and they have always rung me before so I shall wait and see.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It transpires there was no need to stop the prescription, Hassan has set the next review date at 8 months.
THIS BBC report is worth reading. Doctors suspect that our lack of exposure to infection during Covid precautions could mean that this winter's flu season could be a bad one and we should start preparing now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The Academy of Medical Sciences report calls for people with any symptoms to isolate and stay at home.

This will help protect against all respiratory viruses this winter.

Haven't they heard about the Buffoons logic that if you catch covid then rush out and give it to as many people as possible. This will reduce the hospital load in winter. Shouldn't this logic apply to influenza as well??
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, when we had full blown Viral Influenza we were incapable of rushing anywhere. In fact it was a struggle doing anything at all for over three weeks.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Bit of the PMs Levelling Up - as he speaks on Health outcomes for Males and wonders why the average life expectency was 10 years less in Blackpool compared to Farnborough, Hants, or Rutland .

I suspect Cleaner Air, Less Smoking, Possibly better hospital care, Blackpool as a retirement place for ex- Lancs and Yorks miners.
Actually I am not certain that native males of Blackpool actually exist I generally see a hoarde of visitors, or formidable B&B Landladies.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Sky report that half of hospital patients in UK's first wave developed at least one complication, says study by researchers from Liverpool led by Professor Calum Semple.
They say they are not sure what the reason is but suspect it is the immune system going into overdrive because of the infection and attacking other organs.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes and not just in the over 50's. The damage is being done to those in their 20's and 30's and has also been seen in even younger teenagers. When are some folk going to realise that you don't want to catch this if you can possibly help it?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's time we banned the word `flu' and explained to people what influenza really is. It can be on a par with Covid-19. I've been re-reading Nevil Shute's autobiography `Slide Rule'. He was born in 1899 and tried to get a commission in the army late in WW1. At first they rejected him because he had a bad stammer and couldn't imagine him leading men into battle. Finally they took him into the Cornwall Regiment for the last few weeks of the war. Then after the war ended and influenza began killing so many people he spent his time on a special detail sent out around Kent with a gun carriage and all the paraphernalia for organising the funerals of army officers who'd died from the influenza virus. He only saw a few people killed by WW1 but saw many killed by the virus.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All the more reason for starting to plan for the next pandemic now.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...and the norovirus that's already started spreading...
`Winter vomiting virus warning for England' LINK
The article gives advise on how to reduce your risk of catching and spreading it:
#Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and warm water. Unlike for Covid, alcohol gels do not kill off norovirus*
#Bleach in water does work to clean contaminated surfaces, such as toilets and taps
#f you are ill, avoid cooking and helping prepare meals for others until 48 hours after symptoms have stopped, to avoid passing the infection on
#Wash any contaminated clothing or bedding using detergent and at 60°C, and if possible, wear disposable gloves to handle contaminated items
(*This agrees with NHS advice.)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Dont understand the novovirus, are we not supposed to be washing self, surfaces, and so on anyway as a result of covid? noted that for novovirus alcohol does not destroy the wrapper (why? -for covid the shell / spikes are fragile)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And people have been known to laugh at me and my bleach Peter!
Remember during this hot weather that the most likely cause of any medical problem is dehydration. Drink more water than usual!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As the high temperature looks to be with us for at least two more days please remember to drink plenty of water!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Back at the surgery for blood test number three tomorrow. This one asked for to see if it is my regular blood donor sessions that are causing the slight anaemia and low iron count. I mentioned that my haemoglobin test at the last donor session took a little longer to sink than normal. I try to get to a session every 12 weeks or so because blokes can, we are supposed to make up our levels a month ahead of the female donors which still run on a 16 week rota. I would rather it was down to a timing thing than have to pop pills, we'll see. I might try to make an appointment to chat with Hassan next week for the verdict.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I will mention this here as it is of local surgery users interest. I rocked up five minutes early for my blood test appointment to the side door and was let in. The surgery was a lot busier than I have seen it for a long time. There were three blokes stacked up waiting when I came in. It soon became obvious that the Warfarin clinic was in full swing. Two blokes scooped up for that and the other guy waiting in the long corridor was before me for Claire's attention. He said he was there also for a blood test. I had to wait for about 10 minutes in total and Claire said she had been held up and was apologetic for running 5 to 10 minutes late. All very efficient this time though. Just a couple of taps to find the spot in my left arm and in and out with the needle in less than a minute. Much better than last time when she must have been having a proper bad day with three goes and both arms offered before she got the samples. :smile:

She said I should be contacted before Friday, if not to ring.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 16:15 three goes and both arms offered before she got the samples. :smile:
Spooky
Exactly my experience this morning. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I experience that quite often. I am told I have 'difficult veins'. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 16:43
PanBiker wrote: 17 Aug 2021, 16:15 three goes and both arms offered before she got the samples. :smile:
Spooky
Exactly my experience this morning. . . . :smile:
That was a few weeks ago and I have to say that Claire did a fantastic job this last time. Not a mark! You would be hard pressed to tell that I had given blood. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Fungal infection in my toe nails required a medication that's quite severe on kidney function. I wasn't surprised when the Dr requested a blood test first. Everything OK but bumping along on minimum on some counts resulting in two calls from the Health Centre recommending another check in two months. Two months later I ring up. Oh sorry. they must have read it wrong its three months. No problem but is it just a coincidence that there is a shortage of blood sample bottles and Drs are requested to keep test to a minimum until its sorted. Something to to with Brexit apparently. ???
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're now booked in for influenza jabs at the GP's surgery in late September. Mrs Tiz received an invitation on her smartphone to make an appointment but I haven't had one so she called them and asked if her old man could come along too. The kind lady said yes! :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Last year's flu jab was offered at the end of September, hopefully the same again this year.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Doc has requested urine and stool samples off me now as my iron is still flagging as slightly low. I went to the surgery yesterday morning as advised and retrieved the bottles. Took the samples filled in the paperwork and posted them through the letterbox as advised before 3pm so they could go to the lab.

Just started making my tea and I get a text advising me of a missed call from the surgery, it was only 17.30 so I rang them. Very apologetic but apparently I was given the wrong bottles and paperwork so could I do them again? I collected the new kit before they shut yesterday afternoon. I will have to wait for Monday to do them again as they have to go in on the same day as production. :sad: I made an appointment for a chat with Hassan at the same time. 14th September! Apparently the labs are taking an average of two weeks to process any samples above basic blood screening so that will be about the right timing.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I got the NHS bowel cancer screening kit through the post today :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Happy poo sticks Kev :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Blood sample bottles and Brexit. That's in line with other things I have heard about Ken.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”