MEDICAL MATTERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by PanBiker »

A bit handier Kev, my aorta scan was done at Yarnspinners in Nelson. I suppose it will depend where the scan interpreters are based for each procedure.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Best of luck with it Kev....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 03 May 2022, 10:37 A bit handier Kev, my aorta scan was done at Yarnspinners in Nelson. I suppose it will depend where the scan interpreters are based for each procedure.
Certainly a lot better than going all the way to Blackburn. I'vd been told to use the Casterton Avenue entrance and follow the signs to the DVT unit. Should be straightforward enough :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I try and stay out of other peoples' medical issues, and tell me to do so if you wish - but this all seems a bit casual.

When I had such an episode the GP said "Dial 999 immediately". Postponing this for a bank holiday seems wrong to me.

I couldn't make a lot of sense of the treatment I had, but I've survived it all. I'm sure the experts have it in hand, but I think it's there's surely a good case here for a visit to A & E?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 03 May 2022, 12:35 I try and stay out of other peoples' medical issues, and tell me to do so if you wish - but this all seems a bit casual.

When I had such an episode the GP said "Dial 999 immediately". Postponing this for a bank holiday seems wrong to me.

I couldn't make a lot of sense of the treatment I had, but I've survived it all. I'm sure the experts have it in hand, but I think it's there's surely a good case here for a visit to A & E?
I presented myself at the urgent care centre, at Burnley hospital yesterday at 5pm, was seen within 10 minutes. Waited 90 minutes for the blood test results and 10 minutes for the blood thinning medication. The DVT unit phoned this morning, I don't have any issues with the service I've had so far. If the symptoms had included chest pain and/or breathlessness the response would have been different. I was instructed to call 999 if I developed those symptoms.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 03 May 2022, 13:06 If the symptoms had included chest pain and/or breathlessness the response would have been different.
Tripps wrote: 03 May 2022, 12:35 I'm sure the experts have it in hand,

Fair enough - I did have those symptoms so obviously not the same thing. I'll go back to keeping out of 'medical' and waiting for my Hermes (Now Evri ) oil painting due to arrive soon. :smile:

PS Off topic, but it arrived five minutes later so I suppose I should show it to you. It's an original Priscilla Ritchie (no me neither) oil on board from the local Emmaus which I fully approve of.
cyclamen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tripps on 03 May 2022, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope all goes well Kev.
Do you remember Colin getting rushed into Airedale one Friday last July with breathlessness? After blood tests he was diagnosed with a possible pulmonary embolism, given blood thinners and someone went off to book an urgent scan but never came back. 24 hours later, after Friday night on an assessment ward, nothing had happened and it turned out that he was no longer considered urgent because he was on blood thinners, the scan wasn't even booked for Monday. He insisted on seeing a doctor who booked the scan and sent him home for the weekend. As it turned out he had embolisms on both lungs.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 03 May 2022, 13:45 I hope all goes well Kev.
Do you remember Colin getting rushed into Airedale one Friday last July with breathlessness? After blood tests he was diagnosed with a possible pulmonary embolism, given blood thinners and someone went off to book an urgent scan but never came back. 24 hours later, after Friday night on an assessment ward, nothing had happened and it turned out that he was no longer considered urgent because he was on blood thinners, the scan wasn't even booked for Monday. He insisted on seeing a doctor who booked the scan and sent him home for the weekend. As it turned out he had embolisms on both lungs.
Scary stuff, I just have a fat painful leg.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Scanned, chest x-rayed and consultation with the nurse practitioner all within an hour, back tomorrow for more blood tests as I missed the phlebotomy department by 5 minutes. Close but no cigar :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I do only post on this thread with the intention of taking the mystery out of some medical conditions. Men's health is slowly being taken seriously by us blokes, which can only be a good thing.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Kev, Talked to a retired chap today who during the Easter break had walked 96 miles over 6 days carrying full camping gear plus enough food for the dog. Covered the Pennine chain and some of the big hills in Scotland. He said his knee had swollen up due to the impact on it on the descents. Lets hope you could have just overworked your knee and leg.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 03 May 2022, 17:06 Lets hope you could have just overworked your knee and leg.
Unfortunately not, it's definitely a blood clot Ken, I got the results while I was there. Lots of advice on not cutting myself, a 'hot line' to the DVT unit (unless it's a bank holiday of course) more drugs, more blood tests. Getting my money's worth from the NHS.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" I just have a fat painful leg."
I know it's all relative but that would frighten me to death! (Especially if my foot felt cold......)
I still have my fingers crossed for you Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Crikey, I've only been away for a short while and this thread has suddenly gone into overdrive. I'm glad you've been scanned, probed, whatever, and that it's sorted very quickly Kev. Keep chipper! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

More blood tests today, I've only been taking the blood thinners since yesterday but it took ages to stop bleeding after the sample was taken. I've ordered an electric shaver, wet shaving is frowned upon by the DVT unit :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Last week I did my usual party trick by walking into a broken shrub branch and taking a goodly lump of bark off my shin. Fortunately the bleed was relatively light although my sock soaked most of it up. I'm well known for parting with nothing, Its a good job I wasn't on any anticoagulants. Got a real ear bending for not wearing my shin pads which were a left over from the last episode of bark removal.
Kev. It may be worthwhile in investing in some shin pads while your on this type of medication.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I reckon this will bugger you up for blood donors for a while Kev. In the leg bashing department, I managed to scrape my calf on the pointed end of the driver door of the car last week. Only a bit of blood but it's still sore.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Aye Ian, I've cancelled. I will be 'unclean' for a while yet.

Hoping I keep clear of anything I'm likely to walk into Ken :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Don't know why this came into my mind.
Pearl's a singer. She stands up when she plays the piano

A parody my look like this.
Kev's a wizard he stands up when he works the computer.

Sorry Kev :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 04 May 2022, 16:15 Don't know why this came into my mind.
Pearl's a singer. She stands up when she plays the piano

A parody my look like this.
Kev's a wizard he stands up when he works the computer.

Sorry Kev :biggrin2:
That's how I roll :good:
I have to switch between standing and sitting now, not supposed to do more than an hour of either at the moment.
Checked with my medical insurance today, there's nowt else I can do other than what the NHS have done so far.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good advice about not sitting to long. I try to make sure I find something to get me out of my chair, even if it's only for a brief spell. My two hours standing at the bench and lathe in the shed are good for me and if you can manage it, even a short walk must be good.
I wish you all the best and I hope it clears up and you can put it behind you. I think about P as well, she will be worried sick about you. Please give her my love.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm sure it'll sort itself out. I will be doing a bit of walking to get things moving, I'm off shift for 6 days now so plenty of time.

Good news, the electric shaver arrives today. The rugged, unshaven look is starting to annoy me :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I was going to joke and say `Don't injure yourself with the electric razor, X thousand people every year end up in hospital due to electric shavers' so I searched google for some stats. I thought I'd found data but then realised it was all relating to shaving the pubic area! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”