MEDICAL MATTERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks everyone, I was slightly anxious opening the letter with it being so quick. I had to chase last year to get my results which was about 3 months after my scan. It does go on to say that if I have any concerns I can still contact my consultant for a chat through his secretary Debra.

My previous two scans were both at Jimmy's in Leeds, I wonder if that was what introduced the delay? This one was the first as an outpatient at LGI but in the next building to where my consultant works. Excellent service. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely result Ian. :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good news Ian 👍.
Any celebrations planned?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cathy wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 05:36 Good news Ian 👍.
Any celebrations planned?
Not really Cathy, just glad to be clear and pegging on. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Flu jab day today, P at Asda (£8), me at Barlick surgery (gratis). Both very slick operations, I don't think I even broke step on the way through :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan got hers at Earby Surgery yesterday. She told me that the care homes had been vaccinating their own staff or sending them to pharmacies but they and the pharmacies have now run out if supplies.
What are the odds of a COVID19 vaccination being better supplied? Remember that many experts expect there will be more than one jab a year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Both pharmacys in Barlick had run out of flu vaccine for over 60s, hence P going to Asda.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Both pharmacys in Barlick had run out of flu vaccine for over 60s, :surprised: hence P going to Asda.

Boy are you going to be in trouble. (Flu jab day today, P at Asda (£8), me at Barlick surgery (gratis). ) Hope you remember her birthday. :biggrin2:
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

PanBiker wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 15:01 Thanks everyone, I was slightly anxious opening the letter with it being so quick. I had to chase last year to get my results which was about 3 months after my scan. It does go on to say that if I have any concerns I can still contact my consultant for a chat through his secretary Debra.

My previous two scans were both at Jimmy's in Leeds, I wonder if that was what introduced the delay? This one was the first as an outpatient at LGI but in the next building to where my consultant works. Excellent service. :smile:
Good news. I too got very rapid and good results from my mammogram. Normally I wait two to three weeks. This was 7 days.

Here is an interesting little story. My cousin Trish, had a minor op in hospital two weeks ago. Her daughter, Suzanne and partner Rob, collected her from hospital . Three days later Suzanne called round to see how she was. The next day Rob was ill and had a covid test. He was positive. My cousin has been in isolation since. Neither Suzanne nor Trish caught it, yet this is supposed to be highly infectious. I mean they were all in a car together for the trip from Blackburn hospital to Oswaldtwistle . This virus is so weird in the way it affects some and not others. Perhaps Trish has something about her immunity system that Suzanne has inherited that makes them less susceptible. Who knows ?
If you keep searching you will find it
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Sue wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 09:36 Here is an interesting little story. My cousin Trish, had a minor op in hospital two weeks ago. Her daughter, Suzanne and partner Rob, collected her from hospital . Three days later Suzanne called round to see how she was. The next day Rob was ill and had a covid test. He was positive. My cousin has been in isolation since. Neither Suzanne nor Trish caught it, yet this is supposed to be highly infectious. I mean they were all in a car together for the trip from Blackburn hospital to Oswaldtwistle . This virus is so weird in the way it affects some and not others. Perhaps Trish has something about her immunity system that Suzanne has inherited that makes them less susceptible. Who knows ?
Depends where Rob has been, timing could be a lot of explaining, but we also know that elements of male DNA are more indicative of what Covid proteins target (females have one , and males have two doubling chances).
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

You would exoect partners to catch it from each other though
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz got a quick reply after her mammogram and she also managed to get a new passport in about 10 days total time.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's one of the problems Sue in many discussions about the virus. It is debated as though it has intelligence when of course it hasn't. Infection is totally random and the only variable that I would say has any bearing is length of time of exposure, as you say, you'd expect partners to transmit to each other.
That to me is why the most effective defence against spread is lock down. But what the hell do I know about it. I'm only guessing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sue wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 09:36 Neither Suzanne nor Trish caught it, yet this is supposed to be highly infectious. I mean they were all in a car together for the trip from Blackburn hospital to Oswaldtwistle . This virus is so weird in the way it affects some and not others. Perhaps Trish has something about her immunity system that Suzanne has inherited that makes them less susceptible. Who knows ?
If Suzanne and Trish were asymptomatic we wouldn't know if they caught it unless they had a positive covid test result. I know it seems a low probability for both to be asymptomatic but it's far from impossible.

`Earwax test could reveal stress levels' LINK
`Your earwax could be a window into your mental health, researchers have suggested. A study of 37 participants has shown a build-up of the stress hormone cortisol can be measured from the oily secretions around your ear canal. This could open the door to better ways of diagnosing psychiatric conditions including depression, according to lead author Dr Andres Herane-Vives..'.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Tizer wrote: 04 Nov 2020, 10:25
Sue wrote: 31 Oct 2020, 09:36 Neither Suzanne nor Trish caught it, yet this is supposed to be highly infectious. I mean they were all in a car together for the trip from Blackburn hospital to Oswaldtwistle . This virus is so weird in the way it affects some and not others. Perhaps Trish has something about her immunity system that Suzanne has inherited that makes them less susceptible. Who knows ?
If Suzanne and Trish were asymptomatic we wouldn't know if they caught it unless they had a positive covid test result. I know it seems a low probability for both to be asymptomatic but it's far from impossible.

suzanne has had three negative tests and yet another yesterday at the end of her isolation. Trish has not had a test
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Youngest grandson, he's six, swallowed three AAA batteries. The first my son knew of it was when he pooped two of them yesterday afternoon. The hospital tracked the third one through his small intestine with xray. Probably the most anticipated poop of 2020 occurred this morning, much relief all around.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good news Kev, When our Dan was a rug rat crawler we thought we had bred a very special little lad when he managed to pass 20p pieces on more than one occasion. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My son swallowed a rusty key when he was about 6 or 7. First thoughts were that it would pass through his system but an x Ray showed it had lodged across the entrance to his stomach. There followed a long operation at ' Sick Kid's' in Edinburgh which was made longer by them having to get the right extraction implement from the Infirmary mid operation. Poor little lad spent a few nights in hospital.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 14:46 My son swallowed a rusty key when he was about 6 or 7. First thoughts were that it would pass through his system but an x Ray showed it had lodged across the entrance to his stomach. There followed a long operation at ' Sick Kid's' in Edinburgh which was made longer by them having to get the right extraction implement from the Infirmary mid operation. Poor little lad spent a few nights in hospital.
Oh no! Looks like my grandson got off lightly.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 14:08 Good news Kev, When our Dan was a rug rat crawler we thought we had bred a very special little lad when he managed to pass 20p pieces on more than one occasion. :smile:
:biggrin2: my mum still has a 'thruppeny' bit that I swallowed, not sure I'd want to keep it :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 14:59 Oh no! Looks like my grandson got off lightly.
AAA batteries ... Got off lightly. Looks like you're concentrating on the jokes posting a little too hard. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 19:03
Big Kev wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 14:59 Oh no! Looks like my grandson got off lightly.
AAA batteries ... Got off lightly. Looks like you're concentrating on the jokes posting a little too hard. :biggrin2:
That's a shocking thing to say :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My son ate an entire Mars Bar wrapper. It passed intact. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet batteries are tracked much better round him now! Glad he got away with it. I once swallowed a 1" steel ball bearing. I never told anyone about it and didn't identify parting with it but I'd imagine it went straight through me. I was about 5 or 6 at the time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You probably all know about I.K. Brunel swallowing a half-sovereign while trying to impress his children with a magic trick... LINK

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”