Can't Find Gt Gt Grandad!

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
Amanda46

Can't Find Gt Gt Grandad!

Post by Amanda46 »

Good afternoon

It's been a while since I have posted on here since I emigrated up north and over the border.

I have a puzzle which I am hoping you may be able to solve for me.

My great, great grandfather, Robert Brotherton was born in Burnley 1846. At some point during 1920 he was staying with his daughter, Mary Alice Hargreaves aka Mellor, at 5 Unity Street, Kelbrook. I have no idea whether he was just visiting or whether he and the misses were staying there on a longer basis. Anyhoo, he passed away there in November 1920.

Herein lies the puzzle. I am unable to find his final resting place. His eldest son moved from Burnley to Earby so I have checked Wheatlands and surrounding cemeteries (well as far as on-line records go). I was fortunate enough to view the actual Wheatlands records many years ago where I was able to note down all the family burials. I have visited the libraries and viewed churchyard records such as St Mary Le Ghyll and St Mary, Thornton in Craven. I have regularly checked Burnley cemetery on-line records to see if for some reason he was buried in a different grave to his wife and family, many of whom are interred at Burnley Cemetery. So far I haven't got a clue to his whereabouts. I wondered if it had something to do with his death being quite a way from his home town and there not being the money available to transport back to Burnley or even the fact that he died over the boarder. Some time back I believe there was an on-line service available through the Pendle Council website where historical searches could be carried out of surrounding cemeteries. That search came up with nothing too.

Any help, advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Amanda
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Can't Find Gt Gt Grandad!

Post by PanBiker »

Amanda, try ringing Pendle Council and ask for Robert Careswell, in Estates, he is in charge of Ghyll Cemetery records. He did a fantastic job for us locating an ex serviceman from the First World War who is interred at Ghyll but did not have a headstone. He found us the plot number and even went down to mark the area for us. See these threads.

Gnr. Wilfred Anker - In from the Cold

Gunner Wilfred Anker R.F.A.

Gunner Ankers plot is now waiting for a headstone which will be provided by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
Ian
Amanda46

Post by Amanda46 »

Thanks for your quick reply, Ian. I will do that.

Kind regards
Amanda
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Amanda, it might be worth checking to see if he was buried or cremated in Skipton at Waltonwrays.
Have you been able to check the Kelbrook St Mary's burials? If not I can have a look next week when I'm in Colne library.
Amanda46

Post by Amanda46 »

Thanks, Wendyf.

I think I made enquiries at St Mary's many years ago but if you wouldn't mind taking a look while you're at the library I would be most grateful.

Kind regards
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

What about Thornton Church cemetery?
Say only a little but say it well.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

What about Thornton Church cemetery? I have the same problem with my grandfather John Thomas Turner who was born in Burnley & lived and died in Earby. The man at the Council could only find a Thomas Turner buried in Earby but it was not the right one.
Say only a little but say it well.
Amanda46

Post by Amanda46 »

I think I checked available records at the library for Thornton Church cemetery. I checked the funeral ledgers but I doubt there was a headstone. I am sure he will turn out to be somewhere obvious but just somewhere where I haven't had access to full records.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can only find Memorial Inscriptions in Colne Library Amanda but there is nothing there. Have also checked an index to deaths from the Colne Times and there is nothing there either. Sorry!
Amanda46

Post by Amanda46 »

Thanks for looking, Wendy.

Kind regards
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Anything from the council regarding the cemetery? Although i'm sure you would have mentioned it if you had found anything
Ian

Return to “Introductions”