Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
Rwhiteley

Post by Rwhiteley »

Hi All
My name is Richard and I live with my wife Jennene at 30 Walmsgate. A former weaving cottage which is my main reason for joining. As we wish to know more about our house.
My grandfather was the chair of Oswaldtwistle local history society and I too greatly enjoy it.
I hope to get involved and look forward to soaking up some history of our wonderful town and my local area.

Any information people can share will be most welcome
Richard
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: New member

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Richard and welcome to the site, lots of stuff on here that may attract your attention. Stanleys articles and the new revised version of the Lancashire Textile Project should keep you going for a bit.
Ian
Rwhiteley

Post by Rwhiteley »

Hi Ian
Thank you for your welcome. A great place to start. Are the tapes from the project available on line? I would love them for my commute to work?
Richard
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry Richard no, I believe they are in archive storage. Stanley will no doubt confirm this when he picks up on this thread. Stanley transcribed the original tapes he did which constituted the first version of the LTP. The images he took at the time were available in that version as a separate file. The LTP was first available on the original platform for OneGuy which is now in itself archived but in a broken state from when the database fell over.

In 2013 after the site moved to this new phpBB platform the year before, we undertook a complete rework of the presentation of information. This created the current version of LTP2013 which includes all the images in each relevant thread which makes for a lot better presentation of the information. All the transcripts as presented with integral images are available for download, as are all the images as a separate file for research purposes. The rework took around 9 months to complete.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Richard, welcome to the site...... and it was bloody hard work! You could enquire from the North West Sound Archive about copies of the tapes.

Is your house one of the three storey ones? This pic is around 1890. The left hand ones at the end of Calf Hall Lane have been demolished of course.
A good place to start would be in the LTP with Ernie Roberts' tapes. He was born on John Street just above Calf Hall Lane.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Rwhiteley

Post by Rwhiteley »

Hi Stanley
Thank you I am under way reading the LTP.
Yes our house is one of the 3 storey. Unfortunately the one missing on the right hand gable.
I noticed that at the end house 36 you can see on the gable end that the third floor has been added but I have never seen a photo. Nor did I know wether it was just one or the whole block which were added too.
We know they were weaving cottages and have some old deeds with wax seals on that date to the mid 19thC. Presume prior to weaving they were just domestic? We thought that they date from the mid to late 17thC
All fascinating stuff
Do you have meetings or gatherings?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Welcome to One Guy Richard. We don't have meetings but there is the Barnoldswick History Society who meet once a month in the library. They don't seem to have a website at the moment but do have a Facebook page.
The library should be a good place to start your research.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There are a few more photos of Walmsgate in the gallery, but it isn't easy to discover the search facility for the gallery so here is a link to the search page.
app.php/gallery/search
Rwhiteley

Post by Rwhiteley »

Thank you Wendy marvellous
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Wendy forgot to mention Earby History Society as well, they have regular speakers and events, (and make good tea and buns). :biggrin2:

Facebook: Earby & District Local History Society

Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 04:08 Is your house one of the three storey ones?
It's the one next to the ginnel through to Walmsgate Yard if I'm not mistaken.

Another view from the gallery:

Ian
Rwhiteley

Post by Rwhiteley »

That’s right, we’ve been there 11 years now.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I find for old house histories using census transcripts should be in library or directories gets one a name and you can seach census on line on the genealogical sites. Going back further it is old maps manorial rolls tithe books hearth books etc. Wendy or Panbiker I think can advise what would be Lancashire held and what in Yorkshire record offices.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The date is more likely to be late 18th C. That was when the building boom started in Barlick. Anything earlier is usually cottage property or agricultural. I did that second pic in 1982.

Hackings bakers in about 1890 on the site of the Sunday School.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Introductions”