Just saying hi

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
chinatyke
Donor

Re: Just saying hi

Post by chinatyke »

Hi, blackmarch103. Welcome. What's the story behind your nickname?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Our newest member flagging up as a spammer so banned not welcomed!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good woman, clean streets. (Anyway whoever it was couldn't spell......)
Worth pointing out to the congregation that this happens more frequently than you'd think behind the scenes. It's the reason we have a clean site. It's usually Wendy who nails them, she is an incredibly fierce and alert security force in her own right!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wendyf wrote: 16 May 2018, 16:04 Our newest member flagging up as a spammer so banned not welcomed!
Just a question, why don't you delete the entire thread when you attribute it to a spammer and keep the site super clean?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I normally would China, but as you had already commented I left it out of respect for you. I didn't want you wondering what had happened to your post! There was no link included in the original post so no apparent threat!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The right choice Wendy. I'm sure China isn't upset and now understands the reasoning behind it. Thanks for looking after us! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Not too hard to spot though.

I had similar reservations about this new member - all seemed a bit too good to be true - especially the connection with Stanley's former Regiment. She had a brilliant welcome to the site from several members - then vanished. I do hope she's OK, and that I was wrong. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 17 May 2018, 11:19 She had a brilliant welcome to the site from several members - then vanished. I do hope she's OK, and that I was wrong. :smile:
Depends what you have on your plate as to how often you visit the site. The member in question is indeed a Barlick resident now and has been actively posting on the local facebook sites. She has had a lot of work done on her new house by local traders so your original inklings are unfounded Tripps.

Wendy and myself, who tend to do the member filtering, do check out new applicants across various reference sites before refusing entry or showing anyone the door if they have already got in. A lot of the auto spamming servers are easy to spot, some others that get paid to drop links and such can be a bit more difficult and need a bit more searching to sort out but we generally get it right.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 17 May 2018, 12:22 so your original inklings are unfounded Tripps.
I'm pleased to hear that, and it's a shame that she has stopped posting.

Two years in Customs and Excise tends to give you a rather cynical outlook on people in general. :smile:

Thanks to you and Wendy for your continuing vigilance. We are fortunate in that respect.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 17 May 2018, 12:58
PanBiker wrote: 17 May 2018, 12:22 so your original inklings are unfounded Tripps.
I'm pleased to hear that, and it's a shame that she has stopped posting.

Two years in Customs and Excise tends to give you a rather cynical outlook on people in general. :smile:

Thanks to you and Wendy for your continuing vigilance. We are fortunate in that respect.
It really isn't an onerous task! There are only the odd one or two that get through the joining process these days. It's a few years now since we had difficult couple of days when we were nearly overwhelmed with new "members"..... but that was quite fun. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, changing the registration to a random Q & A for user authentication at registration instead of the old CAPTCHA turned the tide on that particular loophole and it has held up nicely.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Wendyf wrote: 17 May 2018, 06:22 I normally would China, but as you had already commented I left it out of respect for you. I didn't want you wondering what had happened to your post! There was no link included in the original post so no apparent threat!
Thanks for the explanation Wendy. I noticed the post early in the morning (my time) and left it several hours before posting. I thought you were all being rude by not welcoming this new member and didn't realise that anything was amiss. Am I just gullible in accepting everything at face value?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No not at all gullible, I actually posted a welcome message myself soon after you but being slightly suspicious of the "nice to meet ya" decided to check the ip address. It flagged up immediately as a forum spammer from Amsterdam with a number of different user names. I don't know why people do this, there is probably no malicious intent but it does get irritating!
Most of the bona fide new members explain a bit about why they have joined and most are from an age group that wouldn't introduce themselves with "Hi" and "wanna". :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know that some members worry at times because we have so few active members but I think that this is because we are almost self selecting by what we discuss and how we do it. We have had some rough and upsetting times but in the end the troublemakers seemed to get the message. Anyone remember what the old Barnoldswick.com site used to be like? Terrible, full of people slagging each other off. That was what triggered Doc to start Oneguy all those years ago..... Remind me when it was! That was why one of his ground rules was that the site isn't a democracy! I remember when the moderators were called the Mafia by some......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 18 May 2018, 02:56 That was why one of his ground rules was that the site isn't a democracy!
Suits me, sir!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

But neither should it be a dictatorship viewtopic.php?f=42&t=14726#p116619 :banned: :friends: :?:
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I took that as a suggestion to a newcomer that the recipe would be more relevant to the "tea" topic, not that it was off topic where it was. :extrawink:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought the same but it takes a while to get used to the norms of the site....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

SPR676

Post by SPR676 »

Wendyf wrote: 19 May 2018, 07:54 I took that as a suggestion to a newcomer that the recipe would be more relevant to the "tea" topic, not that it was off topic where it was. :extrawink:
Stanley wrote: 19 May 2018, 08:48 I thought the same but it takes a while to get used to the norms of the site....
Thanks for that. I obviously took it the wrong way but perhaps it could have been worded differently ... Maybe starting with "A suggestion ... " :dontknow:. Anyway :ta:
Russ
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “Introductions”