Afternoon

Introduce Yourself To The Other Members
kalham

Afternoon

Post by kalham »

Afternoon, Anybody help please? doing a family tree using Ancestry.com. struggling with a family connection with Barnoldswick. We was originally told by family members that John Thomas Swindlehurst possibly owned a factory there, wife we think is Alice maiden name possibly Broughton and one daughter named Mary born 20th Nov 1911. Mary Swindlehurst is my grandmother and I have her death certificate confirming her birth date and being born here. We now believe Alices mother and father was James and Mary Broughton and Marys maiden name is Ormerod, we now believe this is the link to a mill (Edmondson Ormerod) but are now snuggling to prove this, any help would be appreciated. thank you Kalham and Graham
Gloria

Re: Afternoon

Post by Gloria »

Hi Kalham, can’t be of much help myself as I’m not from the area, but, there are lots on here who are, and I’m sure you will have some help in the next few days. They are very good on their local history.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
kalham

Post by kalham »

Thank you Gloria, I have had a quick glance of the website and am amazed on the information and knowledge of the area so fingers crossed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Kalham, welcome to the site. For starters I have reposted my Edmondson Index which seems to have gone AWOL. That might give you clues. If you put 'Edmondson' in the site search in the banner you'll find lots of references. Good luck, there are a lot of them.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
kalham

Post by kalham »

Thank you Stanley, we think we have same person (Edmondson Armerod), the thing that is confusing us is that on the 1851 census he is down as Armerod Edmondson yet on the 1861 census he is down as Edmondson Armerod so we are not sure which is his surename or it could even be two different people.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look for father's name. A second surname was often the mother's maiden name.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

If you come across a Windle marrying an Edmondson...give another shout... :good: I may be of help
kalham

Post by kalham »

sorry about the late reply and lengthy post but we have been slowly digging away. Although he was known as Edmonson Ormerod on his first census and marriage certificate the rest of this information and census he was known as Ormerod Edmonson. upon relooking at his marriage certificate we have noticed it said Ormerod Edmonson alias above his signature, so although we was 99% sure it was him it confirmed it more. another thing we found was a phonebook with his name saying cotton manufacturer at Long Ing shed but we are struggling to find anything else about the factory, lastly in his probate he left money to Fred Slater cotton manufacturers and Stuart Windle tackler and again we are struggling to find out about these. we are hoping to bring my grandma to Barnoldswick next month and would be nice to find out more info.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Again, search the site via the box in the masthead for Long Ing Shed. Plenty on the site about it. I'll find an article and bump it for you. See 'Trouble at t'mill'.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Some Ideas, check any lancashire (yorkshire) area directories for residents, should be quite a few Kellys, Post office and local ones from the 1910s onwards, and the 1939 register search as this can give addresses and potential family members if the 28 year gap is not too far.

From what I understand reading hear , a number of the weaving sheds had gone over to loom and power systems , so persons would rent space in a shed, some run on a co-operative basis, and as such 'ownership' might have a slightly different meaning to owning the entire enterprise. Its also possible to live in Barnoldswick but for a mill to be owned in Earby/Colne/Nelson or even Burnley - though its a bit of a distance. Their role could also be that even of a trade agent, taking orders in Manchester for fulfillment the next day, travelling down on the rather convulted train route Earby-Burnley-Manchester.

Return to “Introductions”