Driving Licence Application

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Driving Licence Application

Post by PanBiker »

Been back to driving now for about a month. I have to say that I have not found many problems with more than a nine month lay off. The I30 automatic is a joy to drive, the tendency to use my left foot and hence tense it up for a non existent clutch has resolved itself nicely. If anything with the automatic gearbox, reversing uphill is the hardest as you get no creep at idle like you do if on the flat. I have to be very careful on the accelerator, apart from that no real problems. The car has anti-lock, skid and assisted braking so you don't need to exert a lot of pressure to slow down or stop fast if you have to. I did all the driving on our recent North Wales holiday and virtually all since which is more or less back to our normal usage of the car Another reasonable run this week up to Robin Hoods bay on our camping trip. I have just received the renewal for the insurance and the price is less than we paid last year so we will probably stay with the same insurer. I have informed them that I am now back to being the main driver on the policy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good. That all sounds positive.... So forget about it now and just enjoy freedom.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just been online to renew my driving licence. It expires on the 27th November the day before I turn 70. Rules say that I can apply 90- days before expiry, hence my application. The script says I will get my new licence within 2 weeks. I have applied at earliest as I know from experience that The DVLA can drag their feet. I have to cut my old licence (still current) in half and send it back to Swansea as it is an offence to hold two driving licences. I can still drive without it as my application for renewal and the classes I am qualified to drive will be on the PNC. Section 88 will come into force if the DVLA don't renew before the licence expires.

Reasonably painless if a bit convoluted on the DVLA website. My new licence will be valid for three years.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope you have better luck that Susan's Mick.... His licence was revoked on medical grounds after he had complications following Covid. As soon as he was given the all clear he applied for his new licence and was told he had to get his consultant to write a supporting letter and send it to DVLA. He got his man to do that and has been assured it has been sent. That was six weeks ago and he is still waiting. He has enquired and been told that the letter has been received but not processed yet.
As I say, I wish you better luck!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Mine arrived within a week when I renewed online recently.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 02:03 I hope you have better luck that Susan's Mick.... His licence was revoked on medical grounds after he had complications following Covid.
I have all the experience I ever want in that regard. My ban in that regard is what this thread was all about when I started it.

Revocation automatically brands you as some kind of pariah and ups the anti for return.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Received my renewed driving licence today. OK now until 2026. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News from Margaret that she has been given permission to start driving again, they must do things differently in Oz!
Mick is still swinging in the wind waiting for the DVLA to give him his licence back. They have agreed that they have all the evidence they need, it's just a matter of waiting until they get round to it. The state of our public services is beyond a disgrace, it's a dreadful social injustice!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News comes in via Boston Mass. that Mick got his driving licence today! That'll cheer him up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've messaged Mick advising him to check with the insurance company to make sure they have him on the list of named drivers. The police are very hot on this these days and if, due to a technicality, he isn't on the Motor Home could be seized making them homeless! I know that's worst case but well worth checking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “DVLA”