ADVERTISERS, DON'T YOU LOVE 'EM?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

ADVERTISERS, DON'T YOU LOVE 'EM?

Post by Stanley »

I thought we had a topic of this name on the site but it must have been the old one. If I have made a mistake will someone please erase this new one.

The reason I went looking for the topic is because I wish to register a complaint! It concerns the latest advert from Ikea which depicts garden gnomes as evil creatures and advocates eliminating them. If the Chelsea Flower Show can decide in favour of gnomes, who does Ikea think they are to denigrate them. Please register your protest!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: ADVERTISERS, DON'T YOU LOVE 'EM?

Post by PanBiker »

You are dead right Stanley leave the little guys alone! I think the rot set started to set in when the wicked Queen had a go at some of their relations when they were living in the little cottage with Snow White. Maybe Doc might like to comment!

On another note about advertising. As I am a bit of a pedant for certain things. I actually had the audacity to complain to the Advertising Standards Commission (I had nowt to do and you can complain online) about a washing powder advert that seemed to be on at every interval, sometimes at the start and then a refresher at the end of the advert slot. They claimed that their product smelt like diamonds! I pointed out that as a carbon based mineral diamonds don't have an aroma so they were attempting to sell the product under false pretences and using information that is not factual. They wrote back to me and said that it was "advertising license" and intimated that I should possibly be locked up!

Not far from the opera singing Go Compare blokes many re-incarnations, even from Dr Stephen Hawking's Black Hole! His latest appearance with the dog is a good one though. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My favourite at the moment is Sergei and his beetle belly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're almost ad-free, we record everything and watch it when we want and fast forward through the ads. We don't seem to have suffered any deprivation from missing the ads!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

With all the dribble on the telly, often the ads are as entertaining as the programs.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We are far far away from when I was doing my apprenticeship into the TV trade. Every Monday morning at 09.45 ITV broadcast a 15 minute slot called "Mondays Newcomers" which consisted of back to back previews of all the new adverts that were due to be shown in the coming weeks. So we had the latest escapades of the "Milk Tray man", all the fag and tobacco adverts, washing powders and the latest incarnations of the Fairy Liquid and Bisto mums.

We all made do with 3 channels, in Barlick and Earby on 405 Lines VHF we had BBC1 from the Holme Moss transmitter, ITV from Winter Hill again on VHF but patchy in Barlick, and BBC2 in selected areas on UHF 625 Lines. Earby got BBC2 before Barlick as they were on the edge of the Winter Hill service area. We had Weets in the way and had to wait for the Marton relay transmitter from Emley Moor to be built.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remember when Emley Moor mast came down? (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We've just started having Fairy Liquid ads in the last few weeks. One of our main supermarkets have the jingle 'Down, down, prices are down' and Status Quo are shown in the ads singing the above to their song 'Down, down.... ....'. I've been watching it for ages and now can't remember the rest of the words to their songs chorus... duh!

:thinking:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just think of the damage the advertisers did with 'Just one Cornetta, give it to me. O sola mio has never been the same since!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am constantly amazed by the way firms like L'oreal introduce a new facial cream almost every week! Hair and beauty products seem to be a vibrant market!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

It is a sad reflection on our society that a person is judged on how they look rather than what they do, but it has ever been so, and I see little chance of it changing.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This is an image over a Bridal shop in Colne, at first sight I thought it was a fancy clock face. But as the picture shows it appears to have some hidden meaning, well I think it does, Any of you ladies care to offer some explanation. Men can join in but make it serious.

.Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure if it's 'get me to the church on time' or Cinderella.
Nice to see this topic back. I suggest we bar advertisements on the sides of buses.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It must be Cinderella I can't think of any other meaning to it. A shop where your dreams can come true??
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Mmm that's what I thought, or maybe she is late. I wonder if the type of flowers are meant to mean something?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I think the flowers are just for embellishment the important bit is the girl and the time at five minutes to midnight.
Ian

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”