GROWING OLD!

plaques
Donor

Re: GROWING OLD!

Post by plaques »

Virtually a universal statement from older people is that time flies. Days and weeks pass much quicker than they ever did in the past. The inference is that older people’s sense of time is faster than before. Einstein showed that time is a function speed relative to the speed of light. The faster you go the slower time becomes. Travel at the speed of light and time stands still. From this it would appear that you can’t speed time up only slow it down. But Richard Feynman showed that in quantum electrodynamics, decaying particles could emit photons that could go backward in time. If this is so then a returning photo could rejuvenate the initial emitting particle back to its original condition.
Taking the human brain as a massive source of active particles then rejuvenation of this nature would stop the inevitable drift of entropy, ie: the gradual decline of order into disorder, keeping time at bay. Gradually the brain does decay and the rate of entropy increases allowing decay and time within the brain to return to its natural speed.
So when time appears to fly it doesn’t actually fly it stops slowing down achieving the same result. To quote Mrs May “nothing has changed” (sorry about that but I couldn’t resist it).

And if you believe this you will believe anything.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks for that Ian, I will see how the day is panning out. I am due to be at Cravenside at about 1500 this afternoon, if I need you I will call you about 1330.

To the rest of you, your comments are much appreciated, but I would like to suggest that we keep this topic Non Political, we see enough of that on the Beeb news!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Fine Peter I'll be around.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, how can a credit/debit card trigger Tesco's security system? I can only think that its electronic code matches that of the security tag on an expensive or much-pilfered product sold by Tesco. I'd tell my bank about it and ask for a new card - your present card is a liability.

Plaques, according to quantum theory particles may be able to `go back in time' but I suspect that we humans will never be able to do so. It would require the re-ordering of squillions of particles even to achieve a microsecond of existence in the past, let alone the exact squillions of changes required to create the next microsecond and so on.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer, I wasn't really suggesting than a full person could go back in time only that if particles were inhibited from decaying at their predicted rate then they would last longer than they ought to and give the impression that time was slower than it should be. There must be some mechanism that allows living animals and plants to resist decay and go against the tide of entropy. This was a rather tongue in cheek attempt to make something out of nothing.
Thomo. ref Evelyn Beatrice Hall Link.. "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". If fact I wish more people would disagree with what I say. How else do you learn? Today's 'Bobs Bits' is a good example of how we should look at things.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks Ian, for getting me over the first hurdle yesterday, it all went very well. The dress code did the trick, and Vernon recognised me immediately, I spent one and a half hours with him.

Plaques, those of us who are fortunate enough to achieve old age and still have a decent amount of mental capacity appreciate your comments. Such phrases as "doesn't time fly" are relative to whoever makes the comment and their situation at the time. Time, relative to our existence, is constant, its how we choose to use it that makes the difference. If one is constantly occupied, it appears to pass quickly, and given that future life expectancy is diminishing will continue to do so, have a nice day, all of you.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Growing old gracefully. I'm not sure what that exactly means but but the older generation certainly appear younger than they did when I was a lad. Maybe its because by growing old together with friends and family you don't see the subtle changes that are taking place. On the other hand some people, especially women, do actually look younger than their years. Perhaps its clothing styles, hair rinses, and general activity that keep them both physically and mentally young. Men on the other hand are a different kettle of fish, varying from, 'O' my God' and 'Silly old bugger' to 'he hasn't changed a bit'. Trending in Logo 'T' shirts with enormous beer bellies and 'Ain't half hot mum' shorts complete with Billy Butlin prize nobly knees makes you wonder if dementia has already set in. Suitable hair styles for men are generally less flattering than what is available for women. Its a brave man than would dye his hair once he has got past retirement age, too many sideways glances will soon put a stop to that. The comb over may look Ok in the mirror but when viewed from above it somehow loses its effect. Going bald, with a nice clean shiny head now seems to be the fashion. Fits in with some of the younger ones who do it on purpose, so for the time being its as good as anything. But the big game changer for most seniors is that they are only seniors when getting a discount or using their bus pass, for the rest of the time they're just normal teenagers.
Last edited by plaques on 26 Jun 2017, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't do a lot of thinking about time or getting old, I just get on with it. In my head I sometimes wonder whether I have grown up at all but my body is a constant reminder that something is happening to me. Not quite sure what it is......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

One of the benefits of old age is knowing that when you have a problem, someone that you know may be able to help. Right now I need some help. It concerns a picture that I posted on here some time ago. I have had a look at the archives, but in regard to this site, have not yet discovered how to drive the recent changes. The picture that I am looking for is the sale map for the Fosters Arms Estate, in the late 19th century. It will probably be under thomo. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank You.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

When the site was rebuilt a lot if the links to images was lost. I'm not sure if the images were lost as well or if they are just 'orphaned' in the gallery some where. I believe the screenshot, below, is what you're referring to. Hopefully one of the admins can point you in the right direction
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Cancel the admin, is this it?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Working on the principle that this is my last chance at growing old I'm taking it slow and steady. The normal answer to the question "Where has all the old characters got to" the response is "its your turn next". This brings me nicely to a little story about an old friend of mine, unfortunately long gone, who worked on the principle that if he was fit enough to go to work he was fit enough to go to the pub. Each week, along with his pal, who would incidentally sit at the far end of the bar, arrange for Jim to carry some obscure odds and ends that you would never dream of carrying. His pal Fred would then engage one of the other locals into some discussion of how he had broken / lost or was just in need of a special screw, bit of wire etc. At this point he would shout along the bar " Jim you're and engineer have you got ....?" Jim would them rummage through his pockets and bring out the required item. One day not on a 'magic' day' on his way to the pub Jim notice something in the gutter that intrigued him so he picked it up and put it in his pocket. At least it would be good for a bit of surreal discussion with his mates. It just so happened that an old gentleman was talking to the landlord about that he was most upset that he had lost a fancy bit to his vintage walking stick. The landlord thinking was a good opportunity to embarrass Jim shouted out. " Jim's an engineer perhaps he can help you". The whole pub waited in anticipation to what would happen next. Jim realize that the bit the old gent was talking about was the very bit he'd just picked up. So going slowly through his pockets to achieve maximum suspense he pulled out the missing part. The old gent was delighted but the landlord was left totally nonplussed. Jim's reputation was left intact.
Sometimes being in the company with old folk can be very entertaining.
Last edited by plaques on 27 Jun 2017, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks for that Big Kev, you have saved me many hours of searching through files and cyberspace. Well done you.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Loved the story about Jim, P.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thomo wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 09:55 Many thanks for that Big Kev, you have saved me many hours of searching through files and cyberspace. Well done you.
No problem, once I had a date from the original post it was a fairly straightforward search :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I still have the bill from the Doctor (I think) for attendence at Mother-In-Law's birth.
I might be able to post a scan of it ( thats a change over the years , Daughter in Law posted scan of grand-daughter on social media - grand-daughter now is coming up toward 18months - thats getting old(er))
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

My eldest daughter who hadn't seen me for 5 years called me "still sprightly" - cheeky little madam, sprightly is a term reserved for old people in my book! I'm very sure I'm a lot fitter than she is!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Go easy on the lass China, its not as bad as it seems. Sprite A sprite is a supernatural entity. They are often depicted as fairy-like creatures or as an ethereal entity. The word "sprite" is derived from the Latin "spiritus" (spirit), ...Better than being Rumpelstiltskin!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I don't know though, I am rather partial to Rum!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

plaques wrote: 27 Jun 2017, 17:14 Go easy on the lass China, its not as bad as it seems. Sprite A sprite is a supernatural entity. They are often depicted as fairy-like creatures or as an ethereal entity. The word "sprite" is derived from the Latin "spiritus" (spirit), ...Better than being Rumpelstiltskin!
Never connected the 2 different spellings before but it is still a term I reserve for old people and I don't include myself in that group just yet.

Got to the station this morning, collected our tickets which had been ordered online, and then we were stopped from entering because my wife had got the date wrong, she booked for next Wednesday. Senile old bat and she is only 54! Now we're going to Nanning tomorrow instead of today.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

To those of us whom have achieved Old Age in the traditional sense and relative to when we were born, the modern approach when defining it can be difficult without contravening current legislation. The no doubt well intentioned acts such as political correctness, and more recent human rights and equality bills, can be a "minefield". Under what used to be normal circumstances, a child was more often than not, born out of love between a Man and a Woman. Whilst I fully appreciate that this was not always the case, and if the child was born with all that was hoped for in respect of physical and mental condition, and with the love and care, guidance and all that a true parent could give them, if all went well, the child stood a fair chance of attaining Old Age, and gaining the knowledge and experience to carry them through. Knowledge is a fine thing, and when coupled with experience can become the fundamentals of a successful Old Age. Many of my age are quite happy to be guided through what remains of life providing that we trust and are sure of the capabilities of they who are doing the guiding, being told what we should do, or even worse, think, by they who we consider to have little knowledge, or experience, does not go down well. Such expressions as "daft old sod" and "doesn't know what is best" for the rest of us, get me reaching for the rum bottle!
One of the best parts of growing old is the certainty that in due course if, or more likely everything truly does go badly wrong, your fault, my fault, or everyone else's fault, and whether us oldies are the cause of it all, it will be purely academic.
In respect of some of the changes that we have experienced, some are for the good, sadly many more can be a right "pain in neck". One of mine is this:- I just wish that the BBC would go back to reporting the national and international news, and spend less time commenting on it!!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of my jobs was as a technical journalist and editor. I went on journalism courses at Reed International and one of the rules drummed into us was that journalists should always report objectively and never be judgemental. So you might report that a factory fire had resulted in deaths and injuries and give as much factual details as possible. But you don't describe it as terrible or catastrophic or frightening etc. This rule seems to have been abandoned now by the press and broadcasters and they love to throw in all the adjectives they can think of. I think it's come about through the merging of news, documentary, reviews and sometimes even fiction.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I bought a 'Vegetti (tm) 2.0 Vegetable Spiralizer yesterday - by JML.

Not a total success - I've just sent this email to JML Customer Services.

Hello,
Here's a bit of customer feed back for you.
I bought this item yesterday, and tried it today. Quite a major
disappointment actually.
First attempt with a carrot. The finger guard rotated, but the carrot
didn't ! Carrot now destroyed to a pulp, , but zero spirals. Second
attempt this time a cucumber. A lot better - I have some spirals, but
there is quite a large pointed piece of cucumber left over which has not
been spiralized. Won't be wasted, but it's not the required spirals.
I doubt I'll use it ever again. It cost me £6.99 which I will have to
write off since it would cost me more than that in transport costs to
return it as ' unfit for purpose' which it surely is.
This item was reduced in Dunelm from a far higher price - I've an idea
why that would be the case. I doubt anyone uses it satisfactorily and definitely not twice.

I'd appreciate you comments to this very disappointed pensioner.
Best regards

Tripps

Goodness knows what ver 1.0 was like.

I'll let you know what they say, and you'll notice I've played the OAP card. I really should have known better than to buy a JML product at my age. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Tizer, nice one, it sums it up well, and Tripps, sometimes the old way is best.

In regard to the BBC, early motto, "and nation shall speak peace unto nation" could be replaced by "if we have reported on it and made a comment, it must be right". I am not a fan of Mrs Laura Kelly, AKA Laura Keunssberg, nor am I fan of Mrs Nicola Murrel, AKA Nicola Sturgeon, in my view both have an abrasive attitude, apparently the latter was known at university as "Seaweed", even the tide could not shift her!
Anyway that's quite enough of that.
Those of us who were born before, during, or in the years soon after WW2 have possibly seen more changes in our lifetimes than we, or our parents could have foreseen. If during our lifespan, we have constantly been educated, or gained knowledge through circumstance, one of the main things we have in common is experience. Not all experiences are pleasant, that's how life is, but the majority are hopefully beneficial, I think that "happy memories" covers this quite well, the unpleasant memories can be put to the back of mind, yet are still there. If you are lucky these do not surface too frequently, but occasionally such memories, and how they were dealt with can still be useful to yourself and others. In short, when something bad happens, we are less likely to come apart at the seams.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - Emily Hardie has replied - commendably quickly, but does not seem to have read my email.She seems to think I'm saying it's faulty, not simply useless. She thanks me for my comments, but says it has been one of their best sellers since launch, and they have had many favourable comments. Yeah-right. She says my receipt is my warranty, and it can be exchanged at the retailer.

I know when I'm beaten - it's in the bin. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”