DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DIALECT AND WORD MEANINGS

Post by Stanley »

Interesting Peter. I knew about the distance between teeth when setting a saw but only vaguely of the others. I don't think I have ever used the word.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 04:34 Two thoughts this morning. First is that Rishi Sunak is using another piece of 'millennial speak', he has made diligence into a verb as in "It was absolutely right to diligence the options in this case. It's right to diligence things." (Sunak in front of the Treasury select committee the day after the Cummings outburst.)
Presumably from Due Dilligence (to make sure you are not overpaying for a pig in a poke?)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Could Engerland be struggerling at Wemberley tonight. 🤣
Annoying me almost as much as nuculer and sickth.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 17:43 Could Engerland be struggerling at Wemberley tonight. 🤣
Annoying me almost as much as nuculer and sickth.
:biggrin2: is there some football on?
Screenshot_20210615-080251_Metal Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you Wendy. Standards ought to be maintained!
(Mind you I agree about submarine racing..... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 03:01 I am reminded of the level crossings that had no gates but flashing lights and a notice that said 'Do not cross while lights flash'. After some accidents were recorded they realised that in some more Northern areas of the kingdom 'while' was understood to mean 'until'.
I missed grammar at school, but I always thought '"whilst' was for using for describing something that was happening at a contemporary time, ( or noting a factor possibly contributing to an occurance or sometimes related to notwithstanding)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A commentary on what passes for news these days. Heard from a football pundit this morning talking about today's Wembley final. "It could go either way to be honest".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This latest episode of Radio 4's `Bottom Line' is very good and quite entertaining - one of the participants makes some wonderful pithy comments and jokes! And it's heartening to hear scathing criticism of the type of language that makes OG members cringe...
`Business language' LINK
Why do company leaders so often rely on the use of jargon, hype and obscure words when trying to communicate with the public? Corporate-speak is easy to spot. For example, a company mission statement will claim it has a 'unique' purpose to be a 'force for good. ' Using exactly the same words as dozens of its rivals. So why did this happen? Are business schools and consultants to blame - encouraging the use of needlessly complex language? And does clotted language signal muddled thinking? Evan Davis and guests explore the problem and suggest some solutions.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And does clotted language signal muddled thinking?
Of course it does. In the army we had a saying that covers it. "Bullshit Baffles Brains".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tripped over this in a bumped article. It was from a 19th century newspaper.
'A ewe sheep, one year and eight months old, belonging to Mr J Barrett, near Salterforth, yeaned a fine lamb on New Years Day. (I'd never come across the word 'yeaned' and found it meant 'Yean' to bring forth young (of a sheep or goat) see ME 'yenen' 14th C. )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I hate the use of Ping to mean to received a message or notification as in "the NHS app pinged thousands of people" or "I was pinged a message".

What is wrong with simply using "messaged, notified or sent"?

PING - Packet Internet Groper

A network command used to test a remote host. A packet of data is sent with a request to echo the data back. Used to check connectivity between network infrastructure nodes.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think it's got used that way because of electronic stuff making a ping noise, rather than anything to do with the true origin of the acronym.

I noticed on a map of Wales there was a place called Tuckingmill. I'm familiar with an area in Cornwall called Tucking Mill and also a village in Somerset and one near Bath. This set me off looking for the origin of the name. I see it referred to fulling wool. The Collins dictionary says the use of the term for fulling came from the Old English word tukken meaning to to strike or beat.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Interesting, I hadn't heard that term Peter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 09:28 I think it's got used that way because of electronic stuff making a ping noise, rather than anything to do with the true origin of the acronym.
Welsh for Microwave Oven is Popty (Oven) Ping.
quite why there is not a welsh word for micro(very small)wave , I dont know. Is Welsh a more descriptive language ?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

New (to me) word ‘laith' .

Unusually google is no help for this sense of the word.

Excerpt from The Old Road’ by James Middleton pub 1920.
A sort of digest - said to be excerpts from ‘The Manchester City News’. Over a long period I'd say, but I'd guess mainly 19th Century..

I remember once being in a house when the laithers came in. They stood at the corner of the ‘speer’ and the spokesman of the two said “ Mesthur and Missus Taylor are laithed to the funeral of Benjamin Cliffe on Thursday at half past one. The message was delivered with perfect solemnity.

Mrs Taylor said “All right and thank you” Then the laithers passed out again with slow moving feet, as if they were already at the funeral. The little ceremony was not unbecoming of the occasion.

At burying houses on funeral day another another formality was duly observed. Just inside the door which was hospitably kept open, a round table covered with a white cloth was placed. On the table were a couple of white jugs painted with blue bands with glasses to match. The handle of the jug the ‘bule’ was wrapped round with lemon peel, just as if the jugs contained lemonade which they may well might.The woman in charge of the table who had on a snow white apron would say to each arriving guest, “Will yo’ ha’ wharm or cowd?” and according as the choice went the ‘cowd’ or ‘wharm was poured out/ It was thus that the process of fortification was started.

Special to me as my recent ancestors lived on 'The Old Road' for quite a while, and the places mentioned are meaningful to me.

Indulge me. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So the 'laithers' were issuing the invitations David? Never heard that before.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

In an era of 'settled science' I'm surprised that I didn't hear of this word until very recently.

apodictic

You don't get this sort of thing on Facebook. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another new word for me also. Never come across it David.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This sentence is in a BBC web new report this morning:
Both US and Royal Navy warships have recently challenged China's claims to sovereignty in the South China Sea by purposely sailing through it. LINK
I suppose `purposely' is another American word sneaking in. We'd use intentionally or deliberately.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

or 'by sailing through it on purpose'. Using the word purposely (which the spell checker allows) allows the meaning to be ambiguous, we are not sure if the course is the subject and purposeful or the action of being there having a purpose. I don't like it, it lacks clarity.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I came across the word 'caltrop'. No idea what it meant so I had a furtle.
"A caltrop (also known as caltrap, galtrop, cheval trap, galthrap, galtrap, calthrop, jackrock or crow's foot) is an area denial weapon made up of two or more sharp nails or spines arranged in such a manner that one of them always points upward from a stable base (for example, a tetrahedron)."

Here are some Roman ones....
Etymology: From Old English calcatrippe (“plant that trips”), from Medieval Latin calcatrippa (“thistle”), from Latin calx or calcare + trappa.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There are very modern ones too, still being used. The Falklands islanders used them on the roads to damage Argentine vehicles' tyres - I've got a memory of hearing that they got scattered on the runway at Port Stanley too (perhaps more effective than sending Vulcan bombers!). Here's a CIA page: CIA
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tizer wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 09:11 There are very modern ones too, still being used. The Falklands islanders used them on the roads to damage Argentine vehicles' tyres - I've got a memory of hearing that they got scattered on the runway at Port Stanley too (perhaps cheaper and easier than sending Vulcan bombers!). Here's a CIA page: CIA
Whoops, I meant to edit the post and must have clicked the wrong button!
Last edited by Tizer on 31 Jul 2021, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I thought that word rang a bell' . Sometimes my strange memory even surprises me. :smile:

Finally, on 25 August 1963, Liberation Day, the Jackal tries to shoot de Gaulle with his rifle, which he had hidden inside a stainless steel crutch. However, the French president unexpectedly moves his head at the last moment, causing the Jackal to miss. As the Jackal prepares for a second shot, he is discovered by French police detective Claude Lebel. He uses his second shot to kill a CRS trooper who accompanied the detective to the room, but Lebel kills him with the trooper's MAT-49 before the Jackal can load his third bullet. The Jackal is buried two days later in an unmarked grave; only Lebel attends, anonymously. The death certificate identifies him as "an unknown foreign tourist, killed in a car accident".

Later, Charles Calthrop arrives home from vacation to find British police raiding his flat. He demands to know what is happening and is brought to the police post for questioning. It is subsequently established that Calthrop was indeed on a holiday. Both the film and the novel end with the same comment by British authorities, when their suspect, Charles Calthrop, arrives home from vacation, alive: "If the Jackal wasn't Calthrop, then who the hell was he?"
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They were used very recently when there was an attempted theft, of the cash machine, from the garage on Kelbrook Road in Barlick. The robbers made off towards Salterforth and then up towards the Fanny Grey, dropping quite a few of those on the road behind them.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”