Superstore developments

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Superstore developments

Post by Stanley »

Another trap is 'outdoor bred', that means they can be brought inside into an intensive unit after birth and stay there.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

China, the other confusing (and amusing) description is `Free range pork sausages'. I'd like to think it's because the label-writers have a sense of humour but I suspect it's really due to them not even being able to see what's funny about it! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've reminded me of something I heard on R4 yesterday Tiz. It was a teacher giving her class a list of questions and I couldn't understand half of them. The words were spoken English but the language, the syntax in which they were used, was alien to me and that was what was giving me the problem.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This isn't superstore news but it's about lots of little businesses. It was mooted some time ago but is now happening.
`Network Rail sells railway arches for £1.5bn'
`Network Rail is selling its commercial property portfolio in a deal that will raise £1.46bn and shore up the railway operator's finances. It said the proceeds of the sale to Blackstone Group and Telereal Trillium would help fund railway upgrades. But tenants of the 5,200 properties being sold, predominantly converted railway arches, have expressed concern. Campaign group Guardians of the Arches, said they feared the sale would lead to higher rents for tenants.'

This is bad enough and I'm sorry for all those owners of small businesses under the arches. But I have another concern. Once the deal has gone through and the arches are in the hands of Blackstone Group and Telereal Trillium who will be responsible for the maintenance and structure of the arches and thus of the safety of trains travelling on them?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report as well Tiz and wondered how you could 'sell a railway arch'. I suspect this is bad editing by the media and that what is actually being sold is a lease on the space.

Time for my railway station story!
"While we are on the subject of funny bits of paper, we had a customer at Wibsey near Bradford, Bob Morphet. I was in his kitchen having a cup of tea one day after delivering some cattle and I noticed a framed document on the wall that looked like a summons. I asked Bob about it and he told me that he once had an interest in a demolition firm which had a contract with British Rail for demolishing several redundant railway stations. They fulfilled the contract, got paid out and Bob forgot all about it. A couple of years later, he got a call from a man at BR who made rather a strange request! If Bob was assured in writing that the result of the court case would be an Absolute Discharge, would he allow BR to prosecute him for stealing Heckmondwyke railway station!
What had happened was that the arm of BR which had responsibility for selling surplus property had taken a client to view the redundant station at Heckmondwyke. When they got there they had a bit of a shock, it was missing! Investigation showed that BR had made a mistake when they gave Bob the list of stations to demolish and had mistakenly included Heckmondwyke. They consequently had a hole in their inventory and the legal eagles had decided that the most effective way of accounting for the loss of the asset was to prosecute Bob for stealing it, he would of course have a cast iron defence and could not be held responsible but in legal terms, the absence of the station would be accounted for. So this was why Bob had a framed summons on the wall which declared to the world that he had been charged with ‘Feloniously Stealing and Taking Away Heckmondwyke Railway Station’. Life really is stranger than fiction sometimes!"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Aaah! Wibsey and Heckmondwyke.... places familiar from my early childhood. Good story as well. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Love.....
Little known but interesting Wendy. The area behind Bingley was the same. Walls of Jericho, Bay of Biscay and some enormous quarries.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Lots of comment, over in Facebookland, about the smell of sewage in the new Aldi shop. Despite notices stating that it's caused by works across the road on the drains the blame is being placed on anything from 'dodgy freezers' to 'rotting potatoes' :laugh5:
Last edited by Big Kev on 25 Oct 2018, 06:11, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That site has always been plagued by smells but most of them were from Crow Nest processes!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”