Lynton Grove, Brogden Lane

IMD74

Lynton Grove, Brogden Lane

Post by IMD74 »

Hi everyone

I'm a new member here, doing some research on my distant family. Walter Holden was my great grandfather and his father was Edward Maudsley Holden who set up B and E.M Holden (Moss Shed and Fernbank Shed) with his older brother Blackburn Holden. Apparently Walter built Lynton Grove and lived there with his wife Mary Jane Holden and my Grandmother Mona Holden. I'd love to hear if anyone has any information on the house or my grandfather / great grandfather.

Here is a picture of the house that my grandmother gave me.

Thanks, Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Lynton Grove, Brogden Lane

Post by PanBiker »

Hi Ian and welcome to the site, we have a number of genealogists members on here and I know Stanley will probably have some information if it is local weaving shed related, loads of stuff on the site in that regard.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is an amazing house...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian. first thing to do is put Holden in the site search in the banner and start reading! Lots on the site about them.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hello Ian, I had a look for your grandfather in the local papers online and found a good obituary of Blackburn Holden in 1946.
BL_0001529_19460111_004_0001(1).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That blew away 15 minutes Wendy! A good link.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wow - what a link. looked more like 1846 than 1946 to me. had to check the date.

Front page crammed tight with information which all seemed to have a sense of dependability and accuracy about it. I doubt we'll see anything like it again. Still we've got the Interweb, with Twitter and Facebook instead. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
IMD74

Post by IMD74 »

Thanks for the info everyone. I've been spending the last few days adding a lot of info into the family tree.

My great grandfather Walter Holden, was son of Edward Maudsley Holden, who started B & E M Holden Cotton Manufacturers with his brother Blackburn Holden. That article was great about Blackburn! I had no idea he was the second person to descend Gaping Gill (first was a French man), using cotton ropes he created himself!

I'll keep searching about the family.

Thanks
Last edited by IMD74 on 07 Nov 2020, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
IMD74

Post by IMD74 »

I'm now trying to find old photographs of the family. Here is one of my great grandfather Walter, in a postcard he sent to brother John Blackburn Holden when he was serving in the First World War in 1917, asking for pen nibs to be sent to him! Such a great picture.
IMD74

Post by IMD74 »

Here's another of Walter, with his wife Mary Jane, with my grandmother Mona, at the house they lived in called Ingledene, which I now know is off Rainhall Crescent. They lived in Ingledene and his Mother Emily Holden lived next door in Hazeldene with other family members. I think they then built Lynton Grove and moved there, but I'm not sure exactly as the 1921 census isn't out yet.
Ashotton

Post by Ashotton »

IMD74 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 21:17 Here's another of Walter, with his wife Mary Jane, with my grandmother Mona, at the house they lived in called Ingledene, which I now know is off Rainhall Crescent. They lived in Ingledene and his Mother Emily Holden lived next door in Hazeldene with other family members. I think they then built Lynton Grove and moved there, but I'm not sure exactly as the 1921 census isn't out yet.
Hi, do you have anymore pictures of lynton grove.

Return to “Old Photographs”