History of Oakland’s wall an Church Street Barrowford also known as Hubby Causeway

David Judge

History of Oakland’s wall an Church Street Barrowford also known as Hubby Causeway

Post by David Judge »

Good afternoon from Sunny Lancashire

I note on the site that there is a lot of historical data not just about Barnoldswick but other places like Barrowford

Pendle Council are considering knocking down or relocating (their words not mine) to facilitate building 200 eve cuticle houses that are not needed in this green field

We believe this wall defines the historical entrance to Barrowford from the West (Aka Wheatley Lane) There is also a very very old stone gate post which is on the opposite site of the public highway which we also believe defines the historical village gateway

The wall and the post are in the Conservation Area so clearly back in time someone realised or knew their historical significance

We are desperately looking for old pictures/photos or historical references to Oakland’s, Hubby Causeway Bow called Church street because of St Thomas’s Church, graveyard and School

Can anyone help

More than happy to pay for copies of old documents to be copied and posted to us

I don’t normally do this sort of thing but we desperately need your help

Hope to hear from you soon

David
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: History of Oakland’s wall an Church Street Barrowford also known as Hubby Causeway

Post by PanBiker »

Hello David and welcome to the site. Just a thought, have you contacted John Clayton, he has done extensive historical research and has published quite a few books on the Barrowford area. He is a member of the site but has not been on for quite a few months. You are probably better off contacting him directly if you can. He has published works on various areas of Barrowford.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: History of Oakland’s wall an Church Street Barrowford also known as Hubby Causeway

Post by Stanley »

Pendle Heritage archives? Lots of pics in that when I was running it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Pendle heritage quote Barlick library. But all the local history has been transferred to Nelson library. Worth walking up and asking what they can do which may be difficult with the lockdown conditions.
David Judge

Post by David Judge »

Thank you all for your suggestions

With the weather changing and it being rainy fir the next few days I will follow up on your suggestions

Once again

Thank you

David

Return to “Old Photographs”