Sale document. 1874/75. Bracewell Hall

Post Reply
User avatar
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 53671
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 12:01
Location: Barnoldswick. Nearer to Heaven than Gloria.

Sale document. 1874/75. Bracewell Hall

Post by Stanley » 20 Apr 2012, 10:06

1874 SALE DOCUMENT FOR BRACEWELL HALL.

[SCG note: In 1874 the Bracewell Estate was owned by James Turner Hopwood who built the Scottish Baronial pile in 1869 to replace the ruins of the Tudor Hall. The cost of the rebuild was estimated to be over £50,000 at the time. I am not sure whether the hall was sold in 1874 as I have seen an 1875 sale document, exactly the same as this one but the lithograph and maps were coloured. I have information that the next owner of the hall was a Mr Riley of Richmond and that shortly afterwards it was used as a private school for boys for many years. This school was so successful that they had to move out to bigger premises.]

WEST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE
In the Craven district.

Particulars and conditions of sale of the “Bracewell Hall Estate” a very fine freehold residential property situate in the parishes of Bracewell, Horton and Gisburn.

Only one mile and a half from Barnoldswick station on the Midland Railway. Ten miles from the important market towns of Skipton and Clitheroe and two miles from the new station now being formed at Gisburn in connection with the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway extension.

With a capital, stone built Gothic Mansion containing an elegant suite of reception rooms with parqueterie [sic] floors and pitch pine fittings and including a fine baronial hall, or music and ballroom; numerous principal and secondary bed and dressing rooms, night and day nurseries, two bath rooms; servant’s apartments; convenient domestic offices, good cellarage, laundries and a handsome conservatory. It occupies an elevated and commanding position with southern aspect overlooking well arranged pleasure grounds and an ornamental sheet of water.

The estate consists altogether of rich old pastures, well watered and covering an area of 1,596 acres divided into eleven compact farms with good homesteads in the occupation of a highly respectable class of tenants at moderate rents, amounting, with the small estimated rental of the mansion, sporting, and lands in hand to upwards of £3,720 per annum. Free from all outgoings except £6-7s-4d per annum.

Together with the manor of Bracewell and the advowson and next presentation to the vicarage of Bracewell.

Which will be sold by auction by Messrs. Chinnock, Galsworthy and Chinnock at the auction mart, Tokenhouse Yard, in the City of London on Tuesday the 28th day of July 1874 at two o’clock precisely in one lot. (unless an acceptable offer is previously made)

May be viewed by cards, to be obtained of the auctioneers, and particulars with plans obtained of Messrs. L and W Wilkinson, solicitors, 75 Ainsworth Street, Blackburn, Lancashire; at the auction mart, City of London and of Messrs Chinnock, Galsworthy and Chinnock, Land Agents and Surveyors, 11 Waterloo Place, Pall Mall, London, SW.

[Next page:]

YORKSHIRE, in the Craven District.

Valuable freehold landed investment free of tithe and land tax, except as to a small portion.

PARTICULARS. The Bracewell Hall Estate.
Is situate in the parishes of Bracewell, Horton and Gisburn in the West Riding of the County of York. About ten miles from the important market towns of Skipton and Clitheroe and two miles from the new station now being formed at Gisburn in connection with the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway and comprises Bracewell Hall, a fine stone built family mansion of handsome Gothic elevation with tower and belfry, occupying a commanding position on the site of the Old Bracewell Abbey [SCG note: A bit of estate agent hyperbole is evident here, there is no evidence that there was ever an abbey at Bracewell.] with southern aspect and surrounded by well arranged Ornamental Pleasure Grounds and a fine sheet of water.

The mansion, which is well arranged and fitted with every modern convenience and in the most perfect state of repair, is approached from the High Road by a carriage drive with Ornamental Iron gates and stone piers. And contains: An elegant suite of reception rooms entered by a handsome Gothic porch with Minton’s tile paving. To the entrance hall or morning room, 21 ft by 13 ft with stone chimney piece and Minton’s tile hearth; Inner Hall or vestibule with parqueterie [sic] floor from which rises the principal staircase.

A noble drawing room with two bay windows, 28 ft by 21 ft inclusive fitted with a white marble chimney piece and Minton’s tile hearth.

A bayed dining room, 34ft by 21 ft leading to the handsome baronial hall or music and ballroom, 61 ft 6 inches by 25 ft 6 inches with a fine bay window 13 ft wide and 10 ft deep, the hall being surrounded by a dado of pitch pine 5ft high and having an open pine roof 34 ft high and at one end a gallery of pitch pine entered from an upper room. Large hearth laid with Minton’s tiles and oak-framed border with polished spiral bar fender.

{N.B. - The hall contains a magnificent organ built by the renowned CAVAILLE COLL of Paris, with 411 stops, the case being of oak of handsome gothic design; it is blown by a hydraulic engine. There is also a handsome carved oak chimney piece surmounted by a beautiful stained glass window representing Shakespeare reading on of his plays to Queen Elizabeth and her court, executed in the highest style of art by Messrs. Baillie of London. These will not be included in the sale and the right to remove them is reserved.}

The whole of the reception rooms are finished in the best style with pitch pine fittings and the floors laid with oak parquetrie by Messrs. Arrowsmith of London.

There is a handsome stone-built conservatory paved with Minton’s tiles and a W C.

A gun room lined with polished deal and containing a Chubb’s fire proof safe, gun rack and lavatory.

A light, elegant staircase of polished pine ascends to the first floor; on the left of the landing is a lobby from which opens a spacious bayed bedroom with carved oak chimney piece overlooking the lawn and commanding fine views. Adjoining thereto is a bathroom fitted with a marble bath, shower bath and water closet and a large dressing room.

Also on this floor, two good bedrooms with oak chimney pieces and a dressing room opening into the balcony of the music room.

In the wing is a water closet and housemaid’s closet with hot, cold and soft water services.

Another bedroom, day and night nurseries, young ladies room, nursery bath room, fitted, and housemaid’s cupboard and W C.

A back staircase from the ground floor and extending to the second floor which contains: Eight bedrooms, large dress closet, two housemaid’s closets and two water closets.

In the tower are two bedrooms approached by a separate staircase.

The domestic offices
On the ground floor are most complete and comprise a butler’s pantry fitted with a lead lined sink and hot and cold water service, convenient cupboards and presses and plate closet with iron doors, two large store closets and a glass closet.

Housekeeper’s room, store room adjoining fitted with shelves. Large, lofty and well-lit kitchen with open roof, stone paved floor, large cooking range with two ovens and boiler, smoke jack, hot plate, dresser Etc. Scullery with lead lined sink and dresser and a china closet.

Large servant’s hall with range and oven and two men servant’s rooms over and WC with separate staircase.

These offices are approached through a spacious glass-covered court paved with Minton’s Tiles.

The light and well-ventilated cellarage comprises; large wine and beer cellars, meat larders, lamp and brushing rooms, coal and wood cellars Etc. Dairy with stone floor and shelves lined over with white glazed tiles.

The Laundry is approached from the courtyard and consists of a good wash house with two copper boilers and five washing trays over which are taps for hot, cold or rain water. Ironing room with clothes racks and stoves, W C and coal house.

Also opening from the courtyard is a well arranged game larder with stone tables and shelves lined over with white glazed tiles.

The house is abundantly supplied with spring water brought from a distant part of the estate and fire plugs are most conveniently arranged so that a jet of water can bbe thrown over any part of the premises by gravitation. This water also works the hydraulic engine.

There is a furnace in the cellar and pipes for heating the music hall but the coils and perforated covers to same will not be included in the sale.

The house is laid throughout with gas pipes so that gas could be supplied at any time without inconvenience.

The Pleasure Grounds.
Surrounding the house comprise about six acres laid out in shrubbery, croquet lawns, lake supplied by an ever-running stream and productive kitchen garden and there are two convenient paddocks of about nine acres adjoining.

St Michael’s church is very near the mansion and adjoining the churchyard is the gamekeeper’s residence with an addition at the side consisting of an elegant and lofty room with plate glass windows overlooking the shrubberies and two good bedrooms and a W C over. These are available for bachelor’s bedrooms in case of a pressure of company at the hall.

Near the latter is an old stone-built farmhouse used as residences for the gardener and coachman. It contains five bedrooms and two sitting rooms, large kitchen, dairy, cellar and coal house.

The stabling is only of a temporary character, converted out of a stone built barn divided into a coach house, three stall stable, harness loft, pony stable Etc. and there is also a two stall stable and loft adjoining the Hopwood Arms Farm.

At a short distance is a tool house and cow house with loft and dog kennels and poultry houses.

There is also a good cottage at Stock (no. 166a on plan) containing four rooms and occupied by the under-gardener.

Stock Green Cottage (part of no. 161 on the plan) containing four bedrooms, parlour, living room and kitchen also in hand.

THE ESTATE
is of a boldly undulating character and is pleasingly interspersed with small woods and plantations containing young and thriving timber and well-placed for the preservation of game.

There is also a fine trout stream intersecting the property and a large, well-stocked fish pond.

The estate affords excellent sporting and there is also the right of grouse shooting over Weets Common in Barnoldswick, containing about 230 acres , in respect of two and a half cattle gates [sic] attached to Hesketh Farm.

The Craven Hounds hunt the district and Mr Starkey’s hounds also meet occasionally in the neighbourhood.

THE LANDS
Consist altogether of rich old pastures and cover an area of about 1,596 acres divided into eleven compact farms, all well watered and having good stone-built and slated houses and homesteads in a good state of repair and in the occupation of a highly respectable tenantry at moderate rents amounting, with the small estimated rental of the mansion, sporting and lands in hand to upwards of £3,720 per annum free from all outgoings except £6-7-4 per annum.

The estate abounds in limestone and there is a kiln in field no. 37. [SCG note: On New House Farm, near Hesketh Rough Dyke and a small quarry]

{ SCG note: Then follows a detailed list of the various holdings in hand {reserved for the use of the proprietor} These are described as the mansion house, pleasure grounds and plantations amounting to just over 81 acres. The plantations are scattered over the estate and are obviously used for timber production and game conservancy for the sporting. The first item in the list is ‘Mansion House, pleasure grounds, shrubberies, ornamental lake, outbuildings and Kiln Croft. {One of the interesting features of the earlier Tudor Hall was that it was brick built. This is very unusual in Craven. I have always suspected that the kiln that gave Kiln Croft its name was where bricks were burned. It is alongside the hall. There are some remnants of early brick in the wall to the east of the site of the water mill at Yarlside.

The remainder of the list is plantations, a small portion of land to the west of Stock Bridge and three cottages and gardens at Stock. The estimated rental value of the whole of the 81 acres in hand is £400 per annum clear of all rates, taxes and outgoings.}

[SCG note: Then follows detailed descriptions of the farms comprising the estate. They detail the buildings, field names, acreages and the name of the tenant with the rent paid. I shall give abbreviated details for each farm.]

Hopwood Arms Farm.
202 acres, occupied by the exors of the late Luke Hartley. Rent £490 per annum.

New House Farm
227 acres, occupied by Mr Robert Blakey. Rent £500 per annum.

Hesketh Farm.
171 acres, plus two and a half gates [sic] on Weets Common. Occupied by Mr Henry Grime, rent is £280 per annum.

Willcross Farm.
150 acres. Occupied by Mr William Lambert at a rent of £330 per annum.

Gutteridge Farm.
115 acres. Occupied by Mr John Hepple at a rent of £260 per annum.

Hargreaves Farm.
73 acres, occupied by Mr John Haythornthwaite at a rent of £195 per annum.

Stock House Farm.
122 acres. Occupied by Mr Thomas Ayrton Jnr. At a rent of £241 per annum.

Turf Pit Gate Farm.
81 acres, occupied by Mr Richard Fell at a rent of £180 per annum.

Croft House Gate Farm.
89 acres. Occupied by Mrs Elizabeth Mawdsley and Son at the rent of £200 per annum.

Stock Green Farm.
161 acres, occupied by Mr Christopher Waite at a rent of £365 per annum.

Crook Carr Farm.
118 acres occupied by Mr James Simpson at a rent of £280 per annum.



The sale will also include
The manor, or reputed manor of Bracewell
With all its rights, royalties, privileges and emoluments (if any)

Also the advowson and next presentation to the vicarage of Bracewell of the value of £150 per annum. The age of the present incumbent being about 70 years.

[SCG note: Then follows a general summary of the various items detailed before.]

Outgoings.
The only annual outgoings besides the usual rates and taxes are believed to be:

Tithe rent charge, payable to the Vicar of Bracewell…………£4-8-1
Land tax on Hesketh Farm…………………………………….£1-15-4
Ditto on Stock Green Farm…………………………………….£0-3-11

Total. £6-7-4

Clear net rental £3,714-12-8

The whole of the appropriate and valuable fixtures in the mansion will be included in the sale except the organ with the hydraulic and pneumatic apparatus, and also the carved oak chimney piece in the music room with the fire grate and stained glass windows over and also the hot water coils. These, with the fitted furniture may, however, be treated for privately. The right of the vendor to remove the organ and apparatus connected therewith, at any time within six months from the day of sale, is reserved. [SCG note: Hopwood removed the organ to his new estate at Ketton Hall, Northamptonshire.]

The purchaser may have the option of taking articles of fitted furniture such as gilt and other cornices, chimney glasses Etc at a valuation.

The timber, timber-like trees, tellers, pollards and saplings standing on the estate and the underwood are to be taken at valuation and paid for by the purchaser of the estate.

The vendor reserves the right, at any time previous to the completion of the purchase of selling by auction or private contract on the premises, or otherwise by removing or disposing of , the valuable furniture.

The estate is sold subject to and with all the accustomed rights of paths, roads, bridleways, waterways and easements existing over or belonging the same.

The measurements of the lands Etc are believed and shall be taken to be correct both by the vendor and purchaser.




CONDITIONS OF SALE.

The premises are offered for sale subject to such free, quit and other rents, suits and services, as the same are liable to.

The highest bidder shall be the purchaser, the Vendor reserving the right to bid generally by himself or his agent, or to withdraw the property ; and if any dispute arise between two or more bidders, the premises shall be put up again at the sum last bid. No person shall advance less than such sum as shall be fixed by the Auctioneer at the time of sale, or retract his or her bidding.

The purchaser shall, immediately after the sale, pay a deposit of Ten Pounds per cent., in part of the purchase-money, into the hands of the Auctioneers, and sign an agreement for payment of the remainder, at the offices of the Vendor's Solicitors, 75, Ainsworth Street, Blackburn, on the 29th day of September, 1874; and if, through any omission or neglect on the part of the purchaser, the purchase shall not then be completed, the Vendor shall be entitled to interest on the purchase-money after the rate of Five Pounds per cent. per annum, from that day until the completion of the purchase; but this is to be without prejudice to the Vendor's right to insist on the benefit of the last condition, avoiding the sale, if the Vendor think fit so to do.

The title to the estate (save as hereinafter otherwise mentioned) shall commence with an indenture dated the 14th day of February, 1846, made between The Right Honourable Thomas Philip Weddell, Earl de Grey, Baron Grantham of the first part, Robert Hopwood the elder of the second part, Robert Hopwood the younger of the third part, and Eccles Shorrock of the fourth part.

The title to Hesketh Farm and the two and a half Cattle Gates on Weets Common shall commence with an indenture dated the 20th day of April, 1868, made between The Right Honourable Thomas Lord Ribblesdale, Baron Ribblesdale of the one part, and John Turner Hopwood, Esquire, of the other part.

The title to No. 156 and part of No. 129a in the particulars shall commence with an indenture dated the 5th day of May, 1846, made between Richard Henry Roundell, Esquire, of the first part, the said Robert Hopwood the elder of the second part, the said Robert Hopwood the younger of the third part, and the said Eccles Shorrock of the fourth part.

The title to Nos. 125, 128, 129, part of 129a, 131, 142 to 150 both inclusive, 152, 154, 157, 158, 160, 161 and parts of 138, 139, 140, 141 and 171a shall commence with an indenture dated the 1st day of November, 1860, made between Charles Lord of the first part, William Dean and Alice his wife of the second part, William Bracewell of the third part, and the said John Turner Hopwood of the fourth part.

The titles to Nos. 70 to 81, both inclusive, and No. 78a, shall commence with an indenture dated the 20th day of May, I853, made between Charles Carr of the first part, Thomas Myers of the second part, the said Charles Carr of the third part, the said Robert Hopwood the elder of the fourth part, the said Robert Hopwood the younger of the fifth part, and Leonard Wilkinson of the sixth part.
The title to No. 171 and parts of Nos. 171a, 138, 139, 140 and 141 shall commence with an indenture dated the 8th day of March, 1856, made between The Honourable William Stuart and William Rashleigh Esquire, of the first part, William Farrand, Esquire, of the second part, and the said John Turner Hopwood of the third part.

The title to 166a shall commence with an indenture dated the 22nd day of February, 1873, made between Theophilus Hastings Ingham, Esquire of the one part, and the said John Turner Hopwood of the other part.

The title to Nos. 194 to 211, both inclusive, shall commence with an indenture dated the 9th day of November, 1842, made between Sarah Ferrand of the first part, William Busfield Ferrand, Esq., M.P., of the second part, and the Governors of the Flee Grammar School of King Charles the Second, at Bradford, in the County of York, of the third part.

The titles having been thoroughly investigated at the times of the respective purchases, the purchaser shall not require the production of or investigate or make any objection or requisition in respect of the prior titles respectively, whether such prior titles appear by recital, statement, covenant for production or otherwise, or do not appear at all. The Vendor will, however, for the purchaser's satisfaction, deliver to him copies of abstracts of the earlier titles as furnished on the respective purchases by himself and his father and grandfather; but the purchaser at the present sale shall not be entitled to make any objection or requisition in respect of such earlier titles or any of them. All recitals and statements of facts contained in any abstracted documents shall be accepted as conclusive evidence thereof.

Hesketh Farm, comprised in the before-mentioned indenture of the 20th April, 1868, is charged under the will and codicil of the first Lord Ribblesdale, along with all the other real estates of that testator, with the payment of an annuity of £40 to Mary Smallwood, a person now far advanced in years. The Vendor is indemnified by a covenant in the same indenture against such annuity, and the purchaser shall accept such indenture as a sufficient indemnity against such charge, and shall not make any objection or requisition on account of such charge.

All the debts, funeral and testamentary expenses, and legacies charged and bequeathed by the wills of Robert Hopwood the elder, and Robert Hopwood the younger, who died in the years 1853 and 1860 respectively, have long since been paid and discharged or retained in trust, and the purchaser shall not require any evidence of the payment of such debts, funeral and testamentary expenses, or raise any question as to the application of the moneys paid or retained in respect of the said legacies; the charges being merely in aid of the respective Testator's personal estate, which were
more than sufficient to defray all the debts and legacies.

The greater portion of the estate is charged under the will of the said Robert Hopwood, the younger, with the payment of an annuity of £800 for life to Testator's widow, a lady now advanced in years, and the purchaser shall be satisfied with the Vendor's covenant to pay such annuity, and to indemnify him against the same, or if the purchaser shall prefer it, the Vendor will, at the expense of such purchaser, execute a bond of indemnity against such annuity.

The purchaser shall assume that every former owner of any part of the property, whose widow, if any, would have been entitled to dower, and is not mentioned in the title, did not leave a widow.

The purchaser shall admit the identity of the property purchased by him with that comprised in the plans produced at the sale, and in the muniments offered by the Vendor as the title to such property; but the Vendor will, if required, furnish the purchaser with a declaration, to be made at the purchaser's expense, that the property purchased has been enjoyed according to the title shown.

The property is believed and shall be taken to be correctly described as to quantity or otherwise and is sold subject to all chief, quit, and other rents, rights of way or water and other easements, if any, charged or subsisting thereon; and if any error, mis-statement or omission in the particulars shall be discovered, the same shall not annul the sale, nor shall any compensation be allowed by the Vendor or purchaser in respect thereof.

No evidence shall be required that any of the property is free from Tithe or Land-tax beyond a declaration by the Vendor's agent that none such is paid ; nor shall the purchaser require further evidence than can be given by the Vendor or his agent as to the payment of tithe or rent charges, or land-lax, in respect of any part of the property sold subject thereto respectively.

The expense of the production, inspection and examination, and of making and furnishing abstracts of all deeds, documents, evidences and muniments of title (if any) not in the possession of the Vendor, and of obtaining, making and producing all office, attested and other copies of or extracts from records, registers, deeds, wills, probates, letters of administration and other documents whatever not in the Vendor's possession, and of obtaining, any information not in the Vendor's knowledge, whether such production, inspection, examination, copies, extracts, declarations, certificates, or other evidence or information shall be required for the completion or verification of the title or abstract, or for any other purpose, shall be borne by the purchaser; and the purchaser shall also bear the expense of all searches, inquiries and journeys for the above purposes, or any of them. The purchaser shall not require the production of any deed or other document not in the possession of the Vendor of which he shall produce an attested copy, nor make any objection on the ground of any existing covenant for the production of muniments of title being invalid, or insufficient, or not running with the land, or otherwise, nor make any objection on account of the absence thereof; but shall be satisfied in all respects with the existing covenants (if any).

The purchaser shall make his objections and requisitions (if any) in respect of the title and of all matters appearing on the abstract, particulars or conditions, and send the same to Messrs. L. & W. Wilkinson, Solicitors, Blackburn, within 28 days from the day of delivery of the abstract, and in this respect time shall be of the essence of the contract ; and in default of such objections and requisitions (if none), and subject to such (if any), shall be deemed to have accepted the title, and to have waived all other objections and requisitions ; and if he shall insist on any objection or requisition as to the title or abstract, or evidence of title, or particulars, conditions, conveyance, or otherwise, which the Vendor shall be unable or unwilling to remove or comply with, the Vendor may, by notice in writing to be given to the purchaser, or his solicitor, at any time, and notwithstanding any negotiation or litigation in respect of such objection or requisition, annul the sale, and shall thereupon return the purchaser his deposit, but without any interest, costs of investigating the title, or other compensation or payment whatsoever.

The purchaser shall be entitled to the rents and profits of the premises, or be let into the actual possession thereof from the expiration of the now current year's tenancy, and all parochial and other outgoings in respect thereof shall be discharged by the Vendor to that time.

No other evidence of the identity of the property shall be required than that afforded by the descriptions in the several deeds and other instruments set forth in the abstracts.

The purchaser shall be entitled, on the completion of the purchase, to the muniments of title ; but as to such of the same as relate to other property of the Vendor, not now offered for sale, and also to other property which has been sold and conveyed to other purchasers, and with whom covenants have been entered into for their production, the purchaser shall enter into covenants for the production thereof to the Vendor, and to the other separate purchasers, if required, such deeds of covenant respectively to be prepared by and at the expense of the person requiring the same.

Upon payment of the remainder of the purchase-money and interest (if any shall have accrued), the purchaser shall have a proper conveyance made to him, such conveyance to be prepared by and at the expense of the purchaser.

The quantities and descriptions stated in the particulars are believed to be correct, and have for the most part been taken from former actual surveys, and are to be accepted by the purchaser without any increase in price, or allowance, in case of excess or deficiency.

If the purchaser fail to comply with any of the above conditions, the deposit-money shall (at the expiration of the time before limited) be actually forfeited to the Vendor, who shall be at liberty to resell, either by public auction or private contract, and the deficiency, if any, upon the resale, with all expenses attending the same, shall be made good to the Vendor by the purchaser at this present sale, and in case of non-payment, the whole thereof shall be recoverable by the Vendor as liquidated damages, and it shall not be necessary for the Vendor to tender any conveyance to the purchaser.

Transcribed from a copy of the original sale document purchased by SCG from the vendor of the document.

SCG/21 April 2004
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Post Reply

Return to “Rare Text”