FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Stanley »

That's a good one Mick. I didn't know they had a bowling green either!
I knew Colin Wilkinson, he was a customer at the Sough shop.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I was a lad almost every municipal park in Northern England had a crown green and bowling was very popular. My mate Bill Rae went to work for the Corporation Parks Department and was introduced to bowling so he roped me in and we became regulars at a green on Heaton Moor. I had my own set of bowls and we were accepted by the older bowlers. It became a forgotten corner when both Bill and I were sucked into life and National Service.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 04:59 had a crown green and bowling was very popular.
Still going strong down Westhoughton way - come rain or shine. :smile:

The Panel
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Greenkeepers hated worm casts so every now and then they watered to greens with a chemical that brought the worms to the surface. I once saw it done on a green at a pub in Denton and they wheeled worms off in barrow loads. I suspect this is now a forgotten corner?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I don't know about de-worming but occasionally they would treat the green with fertilizer where the players were advised not to lick their fingers before playing their bowls. (phew that was a near one) :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old pic of Elslack Brow Cottage. Note the phantom on the doorstep, very long exposure and he must have popped out to see what was going on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Indulge me here. . . :smile:

I found this on youtube recently. It's the exact journey which was my route home from primary school over 70 years ago.

Definitely a Forgotten Corner.

It has change remarkably little, and of course will mean more to me than most. Every shop, pub, road juction, railway station, and even the houses (later to be on my paper round), have a memory.

I don't remember ever being taken to school by my mother, but I suppose I must have been as it looks a big ask at age 5 !

There was a choice of two buses. One Oldham Corporation, and one Manchester Corporation, but you could walk it in the time it took to wait for a bus. Never heard of a timetable. Imagine that now. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ah the school walk. I remember my mum taking me to see Mrs Hindle the headmistress at Gisburn Road Infants School in Barlick. It was just before Easter when I was four. I turned five in November. After asking me to name some pictures of animals and write my name, tell her where I lived etc she said I could start school after Easter. I had been once with my mum so knew the way and where to go, so on day one I walked on my own to school. Not as far as you but I did it four times a day every day until I was sixteen and left Secondary School for my apprenticeship. Never had a school dinner as I always went home for my dinner because my mum worked from home. Never got knocked down or abducted and it had the advantage that I could pick up my comics from the newsagents on the way past. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My first school, hope Memorial on Huntsman's Brow, Stockport.
Everything on this image is a forgotten corner. They built a motorway junction on top of it in the 1970's when what was later to become the M60 was built to by-pass the town centre.
So my old walk to school is impossible. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I like this image.
The old level crossings in Earby where School Lane meets Skipton Road, All Saints Church in the background.
Two nice old cars in the foreground and those lovely stone gateposts are still there according to Google images.
There's marks on the posts where the railings have been removed for the war effort I presume which occurred across the country.

At the time this image was taken Wissick Hill (sp), further on towards Thornton in Craven, had not been widened or straightened and was a real accident blackspot so those corners are best forgotten :-)

The railway's all gone now. <sigh>

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic Mick, about 1960?

Here's a pre war image. Funny thing is I can't see any gates on this one and there's a train coming. Perhaps there was so little traffic the signal man just got out of his box and waved people down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I would agree with that date, Stanley.

Here's another view which I have labelled as probably the 1920's

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That second one is a lot earlier than the 20s from the uniform Mick. I'd go as far back as 1880 or 90.
Where is it, I read Earby gate house on the signal box. Is that what the crossing was originally called?
What do you reckon Wendy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think that's quite an early one, I'll see if there is any more information in our photo index. You can see from the earlier photo that the crossing gate opened right back against the wall, which is probably why it's hidden from view in the 1920s photo. I think I might be able to name the crossing keeper too, an ex soldier who had lost a leg. The sports car in Mick's photo belonged to the Doctor who lived at the Crossings....Dr Dick?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I think the first photo still says Earby Gate House on the signal box.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The sports car belonged to Jim Walker, who took many photos of Earby in the 1950s and 60s. The postcard view entitled Earby Crossing has a date of 1915.
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Thanks for the info everyone.

Here's an image of the signal box at the bottom of Salterforth Road.

In the mid 1960's the signal man used to let us lads climb the steps into the box and hang around with him in there for a few minutes.
But, to be allowed to do this we had to carry a bucket of coal up for him to use in his stove. All exciting stuff.
I was told in later years that the signal man was the uncle of an old friend of mine from Kelbrook called Carole Walling.

I spent many an hour stood on that footbridge while the steam engines past underneath. :smile:

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So that pic is at the Skipton end of Earby Station ?
Wendy, Dr Dick did live in the house nearest to the railway line for many years.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 03:19 So that pic is at the Skipton end of Earby Station ?
Yes it is.

A lot of those houses on Colne Road have "claimed" free extra garden from the railway cutting since the line closed. Also there is an entire industrial estate built on the line behind where the photo was taken from.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ingthorpe Grange. Buried in the country between East Marton and Stainton this is a forgotten corner. At one time it was an outlying property of Bolton Priory.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I get the feeling that the Salvation Army aren't as strong in Barlick as they used to be. I used to see them regularly collecting in Town Square but no sign recently. Are they in danger of becoming a Forgotten Corner?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Not read this much before, but thought I’d go back to the beginning, the images aren’t viewable early on, I haven’t looked through to see on what page they come as visible. Can anyone shed any light on this?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Gloria wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 09:12 Not read this much before, but thought I’d go back to the beginning, the images aren’t viewable early on, I haven’t looked through to see on what page they come as visible. Can anyone shed any light on this?
I'm sure Ian will explain the exact circumstances Gloria, but as I remember it the site had to be upgraded but the Gallery would no longer function with it and had to become a separate entity. It was at that point that the links to photos stopped working, I'm guessing it was around 2017 or 18? It is possible to restore the links as Stanley does when he reposts his Stanley's View articles.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The changes came about when the Gallery module was taken over by a different developer, he's a Russian guy. He modified the structure and the coding which had the knock on effect of changing the URL string syntax that references the images. I cant remember the exact date but you could get somewhere near by looking at some of the longer threads like Shed Matters etc. The Gallery has always been a separate extension to the site and is the only one available of the type for the phpBB platform.

Wendy is correct in that you can update the posts, the image number that references the picture remains the same. It is just a case of updating the syntax of the text string by changing it to the current version and copying the image number over. You can only do this as a normal member to your own posts.

Admins and Moderators have full access to edit all posts so can update any. There are a lot to go at, I have worked my way through some that rely heavily on the images to support the narrative and that are not too long. It would be full time job to do them all. Specific requests could possibly be catered for. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Local History Topics”