FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by Big Kev »

I paid for some rubber doorstops with cash yesterday as they were only £1.75, it seemed very strange. My mother still sends cash in my birthday card, despite me telling her not to (still can't understand why she needs to give me money). I still have most of the £60 she sent me in February. Cash will soon be a forgotten corner.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We've lost cash in the post so now I don't even send cheques with a birthday card. Too many of them have gone missing. A separate plain envelop does the trick.
Last edited by plaques on 15 May 2021, 07:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I send cheques by post regularly to the bank's card payments centre and have never had a problem. (Touch wood! probably a mistake bragging about that!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

If I ever receive a cheque, which is rare, I take it to the Post Office. You can pay into any bank as long as you have a debit card.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan tells me the can send in photographs of hers as long as they don't exceed a certain value.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I can do that with the Barclays app on my phone, it's a bit hit or miss photographing them but I think that's down to the camera.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

George Pickles, grandfather of John Albert Pickles. He is stood in front of the cobbler's shop in Kelbrook Main Street which he ran. This will be sometime just before 1900 I think. Kelbrook then was a self contained community with its own mill and very close links with Lothersdale. I think that is where the Pickles family originated. I know that when Johnny was a lad he still had relatives there because that was where he ran away to when his father put him in the office at the Sough Bridge mill as office boy. Being an office clerk wasn't on his agenda!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 14 May 2021, 11:43 We've lost cash in the post so now I don't even send cheques with a birthday card. Too many of them have gone missing. A separate plain envelop does the trick.
We send cash to France. We have no choice. Our cheques are invalid in France, and we cannot do a. Bank transfer to the people we send money too. We always send it in a very plain looking letter and so far so good . Which reminds me, I must send some money. We are running out of euros eo will have to go and get some
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Up Dotcliffe in Kelbrook, you can see the chimney of the mill behind the houses although originally it was water driven.
In 1932 Craven Herald reported the suicide of George Hogarth at Dotcliffe Mill. Newton Pickles told me that when they went down later to do a repair on the water turbine the management asked them to cut the rope down off the shafting. Nobody at the mill would touch it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The group of cottages to the right was once an inn called Halfway House which stood on the old pack horse route to Colne. It must have closed when the new toll road was built in the 1820s.
My friend's grandmother lived in one of the cottages and during the war she took in an evacuee who later became the famous actor Terence Stamp.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Halfway House as it is now, you can see it was once a fine building.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a good building even now Wendy.

Craven House has always struck me as a cut above most other buildings in the town centre. It has it's own coach yard and stables and was built squarely across the original route of Newtown when it was the direct connection from the Skipton Road to Back Lane (now Philip Street) which was then the main route through the town west to east from the ford in Walmsgate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Not quite forgotten except in terms of accuracy. No 2 Church St has this plaque for all to see.

Church St..jpg
. But when it was occupied by Colne Building Society it looked a bit different.

Colne Building Society 1 .jpg
Church St.. 1 .jpg
The current N I C 1817 used to be M C 1817, A bit of dyslexic copying I think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 11 May 2021, 03:54 In my childhood days in Heaton Norris in Stockport our milk was delivered by Dobson Brothers who ran a dairy at Didsbury. Years later in 1959 when I came to Barlick I found that the same firm ran a dairy at Coates Mill. See THIS article in the Commercial Motor magazine about the business. Barlick is mentioned in the article from 1944.
The note in the milk bottle for today's extras (or the weeks variations). Milk and More ( aka Arla that acquired mostly what was Dairy Crest Dairies( ex Milk Marketing Board out of Unigate). All on line now and pay in advance with debit or credit card. AND they want next weeks changes input by Thursday before the weekend. riducilous.
There is Creamline in Stockport but they dont deliver to London.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like that one Ken. Well done for spotting it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thank goodness we don’t have these contraptions any more.
E36F4CC7-5DEA-4E38-9B7F-865F0FCE604A.png
We don’t, do we?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope not Cathy! Playground rides like that used to be ok if there were no older boys around. My older brother used to turn a go on a simple see saw into a frightening experience for me by suspending me in the air and bouncing me.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Used to love the umbrella ride at the park, you couldn't beat a nice concrete base underneath to enhance the experience :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Concrete or flagstones under the proper high slide as well Kev. Not the metal tunnel jobs they have now. Anyone got a candle to polish it up and make it go faster? Playground equipment back in the day taught you calculated risk. Victory Park in Barlick had the rocking horse a proper big slide, the umbrella, two sorts of swings (big ones and little ones) and a small roundabout, not forgetting the boating pool. Harrison Street park used to have the fairly lethal plank, horizontal for the use of and pivoted at both ends which you could "peg up" from each end, could also occasionally catch someone out with a proper clout who wasn't taking notice when walking past. Slide, swings and roundabout there as well. Flagstones on grass of course. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We used to use margarine papers for the slide..... If the Parky caught us we got a tongue lashing and were sent home.

The stone with the grooves cut in it is part of a millstone. Booth Bridge at Thornton in Craven in 1979.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My mum used to go mad when my pants were covered in candle wax from slide polishing! It got worse later on when I had the blowing cylinder head on my 250 Enfield, my jeans were always covered in oil until the Honda came along. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I had a brief spell, as a teenager, loading railway trucks with 50kg bags of cement. There was a conveyor belt from above down to a metal plate, at truck level, and we rubbed soap on the plate for lubrication. You never physically lifted the bags, just guided them in the right direction and the soap made a world of difference.
I also keep a candle in my toolbox to rub in my saws, works especially well if the moisture content of the wood is a bit high.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 20 May 2021, 03:32 We used to use margarine papers for the slide..... If the Parky caught us we got a tongue lashing and were sent home.
We used bread wrappers, when they were waxy and not polythene like now
If you keep searching you will find it
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

With our hot Australian summers, and playground equipment made of metal (back then) kids would burn their hands climbing up the slide, and their legs and bums coming down. :surprised: :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny you should mention that Cathy, you've reminded me that occasionally the slide was hot enough to burn my legs when I slid down it.
Kev. Loading bags heavier than me, happy days and thank god it's a forgotten corner. They didn't kill you but they made you a queer shape in the long run.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Local History Topics”