Re: The Search for Barlicks WWII Fund Raising Plaques

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The Earby fund raising plaques have been loaned to the Town Council by their rescuer and are now on display in the Council Rooms. An official unveiling ceremony will take place sometime soon.
Any news of the Barlick plaques yet?
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

No Wendy, not yet. This is somewhat overshadowed by other events here at present, but will not be forgotten. Keep up the good work. Thomo.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Time we found them, will make a mental note to ring the council.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Ian, having thought about it, I'm sure the plaques were rescued from Jepp Hill; but I can't remember where they went. Once we have Beach up and running, I'll have a look through possible glory holes.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent David, they could do with seeing the light of day again, maybe in a bit more prominent place (library maybe) if they can be found.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Anything from the glory holes David?
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Sorry Ian, not yet (though we've been salting Beach stuff away in the glory holes, rather than having a good sort out).

I saw Colin Pollard during the Beach. Colin was chairman of the town council when Jepp Hill was vacated. He thinks they may have been put into store by Pendle Council. I'll make enquiries there.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sounds promising David. I would have thought it would have been Pendle. I assume they removed the furniture etc so the plaques could be with them as well.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Was trolling the topics and came across this which died the death 8 years ago now. I have since learned that the mystery is solved, I believe Bob Jackson who moved into the old Library building is in possession of the plaques as they were left behind when the Town Council moved out of the building.
Ian

Return to “Local History Topics”