Church School Barnoldswick History

Mixman2019

Church School Barnoldswick History

Post by Mixman2019 »

A FIFTY YEARS OLD SCHOOL

Link with Barnoldswick's Early Days

TEACHER'S LONG SERVICE
To commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the opening of the Church School, Bar-noldswick, a special edition of "The National," the School magazine has been published under the direction of Mr. H. Belshaw, the present headmaster. Largely devoted to articles and notes bearing upon the history of the School, the magazine con¬tains a vast amount of useful information and makes excellent reading.
The centre page includes a brief statistical survey by Mr. Alban Atkinson an "old boy" and a manager of the School for many years. Mr. Atkinson writes as follows:—

"The Church School, built in 1883, at a cost of £1,800, was opened in January, 1884, by Mr. A. Pollard (headmaster) with a staff of one. The scholars came from the Unity Boys' School, now the 'Brick School,' and used as a workshop, and from the Wesleyan Girls' and Infants' departments. The scholars numbered 114 during the first week, but this number had increased to 250 by the month of April. The School building was cleared from debt by a bazaar and Japanese fair in May, 1884, opened by Mrs. Roundell, of Gledstone Hall, supported by Mr. G. S. Roundell, M.P., and presided over by the Rev. T. Hayes. At the foot of the bazaar programme is the quaint notice : 'A LATE train will leave Barnoldswick at 8-15 p.m.'.

This section of the magazine also contains extracts from the School log book,
viz :—
February 10th, 1884
"The following resolution has been passed by the managers of this and of the Wesleyan Schools: 'That no child shall be received into the school who is in arrears with school fees of the one he is leaving.”

March 27th, 1884
“Had a concert in aid of materials for the infants.”

10th July, 1885
Comment by His Majesty's Inspector: “Mr. Pollard had made a vigorous and successful beginning in establishing this new school.”

16th October, 1885—
“Commenced having fires in the School."

A TEACHER'S MEMOIRS.
From the pen of Mrs. M. Allum, the oldest teacher, who has been on the staff 34 years, comes a delightful article entitled "The Old Order Changeth."

"Many changes have taken place at the Church School since I commenced there in 1889," writes Mrs. Allum. "At that time, the managers were Messrs. Atkinson, Perry, Duckworth, Shorrock and the Rev. F. W. Patten, while Mr. A. Pollard was head¬master.”

"The large schoolroom then had no parti¬tions and teaching in that room was very difficult. All the children were seated in the old-fashioned long benches, which were neither comfortable nor healthy. To-day, the comfort and health of the child is con¬sidered in every way, as can be seen by the chairs and table now in use.
In those days the School closed at 4-30 p.m. A teacher's chair was an unknown thing in those times— now every room boasts one. Slates and pencils were commonly used by the children— another unhealthy method of writing now entirely obsolete. The slates, however, were occasionally useful; I well remember using one with success as a missile aimed at a mouse!”

"Years passed by and the time came for the retirement of our well-respected school¬master. I am indebted to him for many things I learnt during his headship. He was succeeded by Mr.Gregson who stayed with us about three years. Just about this time Standard 1 became part of the Infants' School, so each member of the staff was transferred to the class above. It was a very big change for some of us, but we soon adapted ourselves to the new circumstances. "Fortunately, our third headmaster, Mr. Belshaw, is still with us, after about eight years, and during that period we have be¬come quite a modern school, with its annual concert, sports day and last but not least, the 'National.'
"We all hope that the School will enjoy many more years of prosperity under his rule."

WHAT FATHER SAYS !
A racy article headed "School when my father attended" is contributed by Jennie Widdup, of Standard VIII., and reproduced below:-

"Schools of to-day are not what they were when I attended,” said my father. “There were no free feeds and milk and biscuits. The only feeds we got were from Miss Waite— if we behaved ourselves.”
Sometimes if we complain to him about getting the cane be will laugh and say it is nothing. One day he related one of the many stories about his school life. He said he once had to go to Crabtree's for a cane for Mr. Turner. On returning he was told to hold his hand out. Quite amazed, he did so and Mr. Turner gave him a good one, ‘it's all right, Widdup,' he said, 'I only wanted to see if it was a good one.'

"They never needed a doctor at the Church School for if ever a child in the infant class got a bead up its nose my father could always get it down.”

"He can also remember snowballing the Rainhall Road scholars. He said the Rainhall boys would chase them to the Church School gates and then my father and his friends would turn round and have a hand to hand fight. 'This,' he said, 'very often caused trouble for we always got the cane from Mr. Pollard.'

"When talking to my aunty she told me a short story of the first time she went to school.”
'When I first entered the classroom I thought it was a circus, for the seats were raised one above another and wooden steps ran up the side.’
‘In the higher classes I can remember being in a concert. We were all dressed up in white frocks. Round our waists we wore big blue sashes tied at the back in a huge bunch. Our item was called 'Ten Little Niggers.' We girls were on the front row and five boys were behind. One of the boys would persist in touching my frock with his black hands, which were covered with soot. I forgot about the audience—I was thinking about my frock.' Then without a moment's hesitation she turned round and smacked his face.

"I then asked my aunty if she remembered anything else, and she told me this rather funny story.”
'One day the teacher was putting books in the cupboard. On turning round she espied a girl talking in the corner of the room. This teacher always ran across the room, but that day she got a shock, for her feet caught the blackboard, which came on top of her. The girl didn't get the cane, anyhow," said aunty.
'You girls are lucky,' she said, 'to be going up to the Park playing hockey. We had to work hard if we only, wanted to get home soon. School in these days is not half so stern as it was.'

OLD BARLICK.
An account of Barnoldswick as it was 50 years ago appears above the initials "N.H.A.":-
"When the School was opened," states the writer, "Barnoldswick was very different from the town of to-day. Its population of about 6,000 was isolated from the, outer world, save for the single-line railway opened some 13 years before.

"The now delightful Park Road—then generally called 'Blue Pot Lane'—was a country path leading to 'Shutt's Farm' and Park Fields. From Wellhouse Street, save for New Laithe Farm, Long Ing Lane wended its way to Raikes Back, with hawthorn hedges on each side, but no houses—beautiful in summer, but a veritable quagmire in winter, through which one steered one's way at night by the aid of a welcome lantern.”

“Water, like gas, was also a luxury, wells in or near the town supplying that for household purposes, whilst that for drinking was brought by water-carts from the moor¬land springs and wells and sold at a half¬penny a bucket. The raintubs, varying in size, of which every house had one, formed a noticeable feature, unsightly perhaps, but very necessary.”

"We can scarcely conceive life under these conditions, but they were met very philosophically. Then, as now, Barlick folk made the best of things, and with the beginning of better times in the cotton trade, the village gradually assumed larger proportions and, the modern amenities of life followed in their, turn."

A YOUTHFUL POET.
Last, but by no means least, is a poem, called "Our School," the work of Alan Frankland, Standard VI.
Our School has stood for fifty years
And yet it still goes strong,
'Tis here we mingle fears and fun
With tear or smile or song.

It's called the Church of England School,
And though not very pretty,
There's not a more successful one
In village, town or city.

On games field or in classroom,
Our School leads all the rest:
At History, Sums and Football
We surely are the best.

And as the future years roll on,
We'll all recall with pride
The things the Old School's done for us,

Transcribed from “The Craven Herald” Friday, December 29th 1933
John Turner September 2019
_______________________________________________________________________________________
A Rousing Jubilee Celebration

OLD SCHOLARS HONOUR FIRST "HEAD"

Striking evidence of the affection that dwells in the hearts of past teachers and scholars was afforded on. Saturday on the occasion of the Barnoldswick Church of England School's jubilee celebrations. To the very day, it was the 50th anniversary of the school's beginning, January 6th, 1884. The festivities were on a much larger scale than those originally designed, but, thanks to the adaptability of the organisers, the whole affair ran smoothly.

The first stage consisted of a tea party in the main hall of the school and this lasted from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Four sittings were required to accommodate the 400 guests, and in order that the intervals might not seem wearisome, the officials turned the remainder of the school into a series of smoke rooms and conversation lounges. Many people had travelled long distances to take part in the celebrations and the true re-union spirit prevailed. An appetising meal was served by Misses S. and J. Hacking and their staff.

Subsequently, there was a social gathering in the Queen's Hall, which was filled almost to capacity. Speeches full of interesting reminiscences, presentations for long and valued service, and a variety of musical Items combined to make the evening a most enjoyable one.
An ideal chairman was Mr. R. S. Windle, a former scholar, who enlivened the proceedings by his ready wit and topical humour. "It was a very happy thought of the managers of our dear old school to bring us together on this occasion, "said Mr. Windle. "This afternoon we had an opportunity of meeting many old friends, and I am sure there is no gathering in the world that could have brought so many of us together as the jubilee of the school. I want to extend to you all a most hearty welcome."

THE FIRST SCHOLARS.
Fifty years was a large slice out of anyone's life, and he was sure those who had recol-lection of the opening of the Church School must feel thankful to God for sparing them to be present on that occasion. In the early days when names were being enrolled for the new school, the headmaster, Mr. Alfred Pollard, would have seen, had he looked up from his desk, two boys "scrapping" to decide which was to be first on the register. One of those boys was David Mitchell and the other was Robert Windle. (Laughter.) "I was not much of a 'scrapper,' added the speaker, "but I think I was a bit better than the other boy; at any rate my name went down first. (Laughter.) Perhaps the reason was that Mr. Pollard knew my name because I had been one of his scholars at Salterforth School before coming to the Church School at Barnoldswick."
He felt it would be remiss of him if he failed on behalf of the old scholars to pay a tribute to their dear, respected old school¬master. (Applause.) The schoolmaster only sowed the seed; as the twig was bent the tree was inclined. A great deal depended on oneself if the tree was to be properly watered and grow to maturity. Nevertheless 'the part played by the schoolmaster in the training of a child was a big one, and he was glad to acknowledge the help and inspiration he had received from his old headmaster. He thought no tribute more fitting could be paid to Mr. Pollard than that contained in the words Pope spoke of his friend, Addison :-
He was a soul sincere,
In action faithful and in honour clear.
Who sought no title; served no private end;
But did his duty, and he never lost a friend.

The speaker's advice to parents was :— "Never be afraid of spending money on your children's education You are giving them something which, in after years, money can't buy," he declared. "Apart from a knowledge of various subjects, schools teach us the difference between right and wrong, and probably that fact has kept a great many of us out of gaol." (Laughter.) If they carried out the simple rules they learnt at the Church School they would never go far wrong. In the words of Longfellow, success was nothing more and nothing less than doing the daily task that lay before them well, and doing well whatever they had to do. Nothing was gained without hard work, and if any¬one wanted to achieve anything, they must not depend on the schoolmaster, but "put their backs into it."

ONLY THREE HEADMASTERS.
Concluding, the Chairman said they were proud to have with them the first headmaster of the Church School, which, he might add, had had only three headmasters in 50 years. They were also proud to welcome the three oldest members of the staff, and among others, Mr. A. Atkinson, a former scholar, who had been one of the school managers for a large number of years. The school had educated more than 4,200 scholars.

The next speaker was Mr. Thomas Smith, a prominent stock and share broker and company secretary in Sheffield, who was the first pupil teacher at the school. Introducing Mr. Smith, the Chairman said he owed seven-eighths of any success he had achieved to him. Mr. Smith was the man who taught him how to work. In those days there were no scheduled hours as far as they were concerned. After working ten hours a day in the factory or elsewhere, he was prepared to sit down with Mr. Smith and try to learn something a bit different. They often worked up to mid¬night and whether they went on for one or two hours longer they were not particular.
Mr. Smith, who revealed a fertile sense of humour, said that most men considered 60 years a large slice out of their life and some ladies regarded it as a tragic slice out of theirs. (Laughter.) They were met that evening to do honour, to whom honour was due:- their dear old schoolmaster, who for 39 years had charge of the Church School. He might say a great deal about education, but he would content himself by saying that the present system was not exactly the kind he would recommend. Instead of the present-day "cramming" he would prefer that steps should be taken to discover and develop what was in a child. (Hear, hear.)

Mr. Smith went on to say that the scholars produced by the Church School were "a fair good sample" and made good citizens. He was proud of his associations with Mr. Pollard, whose influence on the school and its scholars had been felt over a long period. As a boy he lived at Brogden and he well remem¬bered walking to and from the Church School. He was afraid he did not often get there on time; in fact he had been late as a scholar, late as a teacher and late as a husband throughout life (laughter). He re¬called that Mr.Pollard had once given him an essay to write on punctuality. "I was well able to write on that subject," continued the speaker, "because I knew everything about punctuality except how to practise it.” (Laughter), "I was often reminded of the old proverb: "The early bird catches the worm,' but I always thought it was the worm's fault for being up so soon." (Laughter.)

OVER STILES TO SCHOOL.
Mr. Smith then presented a handsome smoking cabinet to Mr. Pollard amid loud applause. The cabinet bore the following inscription:-

"Presented to Alfred Pollard, Esq., on the occasion of the Church Day School's Jubilee celebrations, January 6th, 1934."

Gifts of two pipes and a large tin of tobacco from Mr, Windle and Mr. Smith were con¬tained in the cabinet. The recipient had a rousing ovation when be rose to respond. Mr. Pollard confessed that ho had expected only a small token and consequently, it came as a big surprise to him to receive such a handsome present. He felt it was a great privilege to take part in those celebrations, and he was glad to see such a large number taking an interest in the old school. The history of the school had been dealt with in a recent issue of "The National," the school magazine, but he would like to add the names of some who had been prominently connected with the school in its early days.

Mr. Pollard proceeded to read the following list:—
Messrs. B. Dean, Thos. Smith, John Armistead, James Waterworth, William P. Atkinson, James Nuttall, H. Ashley, Fred Bracewell, Alfred Pilkington, — Peel, W. B. Duckworth, John Widdup, Procter Barrett, Charles Shuttleworth, John Walmsley, T. Briggs, William Lambert, James Kidd, William Perry, Harrison Bailey and William Atkinson, junr.
"If I gave a list of all the lady workers, I should require a paper a yard long," added the speaker.

Continuing in reminiscent vein, Mr. Pollard said that when the school was opened there were green fields on three sides. York Street did not go past the school, and it was the same with Wellington Street, while even Chapel Street had a wall across the top. In order to get to the school, one had to climb over stiles and pick one's way along country paths. On one occasion an inspector lost his shoe in the process.

The school began with Miss Smith and himself, and at that time the infants were combined in one room. The first assistant teacher was Mr. Anderton, of Accrington, who left to prepare for the ministry, and, unfortunately, died through overwork whilst studying. Then came Mr. Robson, who had some difficulty in finding Barnoldswick, which was not on the map. Also among the early assistants were Mr. John Armistead and Mr. Thomas Smith, the latter leaving as a pupil teacher before he had finished his time. Throughout its history the school had had splendid teachers, hard workers and loyal to the backbone. He was glad to see that several of the old teachers were still going strong.

FEE-PAYING DAYS.
"We began with 80 scholars," Mr. Pollard went on, "and at that time 'full-timers' paid a fee of 4d. and 'half-timers' 3d. a week. If they brought their money on Monday morning we were sure they were going to come the whole week. (Laughter.) There was spinning as well as weaving in Barnolds¬wick in those days, and the children who worked half-time in the spinning mills were known as 'doffers'."

The subjects taught in the schools were the "three R's." Government inspectors stayed in the town for weeks at a time, and each child had to be examined individually in reading, writing and arithmetic. Strenuous efforts had to be made to bring the more backward pupils up to the standard of the brighter ones, and this led to a certain amount of "cramming." He thought that it was much nicer teaching today, although there were more subjects.

On behalf of himself and Mr. Windle, Mr. Smith presented a set of tobacco pipes to Mr. E. W. Robson, former headmaster of the Samlesbury School, Blackburn, and now living in retirement at Lytham St. Annes.

Mr. Robson replied in suitable terms. "I spent nearly seven years within the four walls of the Church School working as an assistant under one of the best and ablest head teachers I have ever come across in my whole career," said Mr. Robson. For 32 years he had been headmaster of the Samlesbury School, which had been held up as an example in the House of Commons. The prominence that school had attained was due very largely to the training he had received at the hands of Mr. Pollard. The speaker laughingly recalled his first railway journey from Leeds to Bar¬noldswick, and caused much amusement by confessing his belief that "Barlick" and "Barnoldswick" were two different places. In conclusion, he congratulated the managers on the progress of the Church School, and expressed strong approval of the readiness shown by the Church people of the town to undertake any improvements recommended by the authorities.

TEACHERS' LONG SERVICE.
To commemorate their long, service, gifts of book-ends in Dalton china were handed by Mr. Smith to Mrs. Allum (34 years), Miss Waite (31 years) and Mr. Levi Turner (27 years). All three made fitting replies.

A surprise presentation of a fountain pen and cigarettes was made to Mr. H. Belshaw (present headmaster) on behalf of the school managers.

Mr. Belshaw, who was obviously' taken unawares, jokingly confessed that "the biter had been bitten" He thanked the managers for the gift and what it betokened. In the presence of so many old scholars, he felt like a little boy who should be seen and not heard. (Laughter,) Those jubilee celebra¬tions had been to him, and he felt sure to the remainder of the staff, great encourage¬ment. They had met people who had not passed through his hands, but had done extraordinarily well. They were real good men and women, and they had encouraged the staff to carry forward the work of the school.

Mr. H. Wilson, J.P. (Chairman of the Barnoldswick Urban District Council), said he had always held Mr. Pollard in high regard, adding that the members of the Council were greatly interested in all the schools in the town. Mr. Pollard had taught boys and girls the way of right living, and that work was being faithfully carried on by the present headmaster and his assistants. (Applause.)
Mr. J. Armistead, who is now a head¬master at Colne, recalled that when he began as a candidate teacher at the Barnoldswick Church School his salary was 3s. 6d. per fortnight, while his first remuneration as a pupil teacher was 5s. a week.
The last speaker was Mr. S. Bowker, C.C. (chairman of the Barnoldswick Education Sub-Committee). Mr. Bowker emphasised the value of education and pointed out that if this country was to return to prosperity with the other nations of the world, the standard must be kept up.

FIFTY CANDLES.
In the course of the evening, solos were given by Mrs. Windle, Mrs. E. Clough, Miss H. Wright, Messrs. C. Midgley (Kelbrook), Allan Garnett, M. Green and J. Hardisty, while Mr. J. Demaline (conjurer) also enter¬tained. All the artistes were old scholars.
During two intervals the following pieces were delight¬fully executed by Mr. A. C. Peckover's School Orchestra, under the direction of Miss Annie Lund "Stand Chen," "Diadem," "School March," "Hibernia," "Melodies of all nations" and "Blue Danube." Miss E. Akrigg, ALCM, was the pianist.

A large birthday cake, bedecked with fifty burning candles, was greatly admired. Mr. Pollard made the first incision, and pieces were afterwards sold to members, of the company.
For the unqualified success of the Jubilee celebrations, special praise is due to Messrs. H. Belshaw and John Peel (joint secretaries"), and Mr. A. Atkinson (treasurer).

Transcribed from “The Craven Herald” Friday, January 12th 1934
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Church School Barnoldswick Log Book Reference at Lancashire Records Office, Preston, SMBa 1/4

Page 16 April 21st 1909
Staff---------------------------------------On Roll------Present-----Class
Alfred Pollard------------HT---------------17-----------13----------Special
Levi Turner---------------Ua---------------41-----------29----------VI
Jas. C. Waite-------------Ca---------------55-----------38----------V
Mabel Bennet-------------Ca---------------59-----------52----------IV
Beatrice Mitton---------- Ca---------------56-----------51----------III
Emily G. Perfect----------Ca---------------51-----------47----------II
Pollie Elsie Arnold--------Ca---------------46-----------41----------1a
Isabella E. Waite--------- Ua---------------44-----------42----------1b

Ca – certified assistant Ua – Uncertified assistant HT – Head Teacher

Page 21 Barnoldswick National No 12
Accommodation = 279 >>>>>>>>attendance = 300

Page 36
August 8, 1911

School re-opened today. All teachers were present with the exception of Mr Levi Turner who has broken his knee cap.

August 14
Mr Alban Arkinson commenced duties as a temporary assistant teacher in place of Mr Levi Turner who is still in hospital.

Sept 4 & 5
Mr Alban Arkinson temporary teacher absent sick 2 days.

Page 38
October 6th Mr Fred Thornton, uncertified assistant, commenced duties on Monday Oct 2nd as a temporary teacher for Mr Levi Turner

October 30th 1911
Received notification of increase in salaries:
Mr. Gordham from £90 to £95
Miss Longstaff from £75 to £80

Page 105
March 1920
---------------------------Revised Rate---------------Present Rate-----------Bonus----------Status
Henry Gardham---------£282.00--------------------£244.8.0d---------------£14-------------Ca
Levi Turner--------------£180------------------------£153.8.0d---------------£7---------------Ua
Mabel Allum-------------£240------------------------£217.10.0d--------------£0--------------Ca
Beatrice M.W. Mitton--£240------------------------£173.10.0d--------------£0--------------Ca
Emily G. Perfect--------£150------------------------£130----------------------£0--------------Ua
Isabella E. Waite--------£150------------------------£130----------------------£0--------------Ua
S. Audry Harrison-------£150------------------------£141-----------------------£7--------------Ca
Alfred Pollard-----------£390------------------------£340-----------------------£0------------- HT

Ca – certified assistant Ua – Uncertified assistant HT – Head Teacher

Page 106
---------------------------------Staff-----Class
Alfred Pollard------------------HT-------VII
Levi Turner---------------------Ua-------VI
Henry Gordham----------------Ca-------V
Mabel Allum--------------------Ca-------IV
Beatrice M.W. Mitton---------Ca-------III
Emily G. Perfect---------------Ca-------IIa
Sarah Audry Harrison----------Ca-------IIb
Isabella E. Waite---------------Ua-------1

Page 107
April 21st A tank was brought to Barnoldswick, took the children into Church Street to see it in motion.

March 31st 1927 First issue of The National Magazine Published.

Page 264

Feb 27th 1935
Mr L Turner completes his service today. He has reached the age of 65 and has served nearly 29 years in the school, which owes much to his keeness and loyal service .

Miss D. Holden began supply work in place Mr. L. Turner @ £2.19.0d per week.

The above data transcribed by Ada Hannam with thanks.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

School Teacher Retires

Mr. Levi Turner, who has been on the teaching staff of the Barnoldswick Church School for 28 years, is to retire. Up to three years ago he walked from his home at Earby over the fields to Barnoldswick and back each day of his working week, covering about 25,000 miles in a quarter of a century. He has been associated with three headmasters at the Church School and was among the three teachers who received long service tokens when the jubilee of the school’s foundation was observed in January of the present year.
Music and cricket have claimed a large share of Mr. Turners’ leisure time. For many years he has been conductor of the Mount Zion Baptist Church choir at Earby, and for a long period he has served on the committee of the Earby C.C.

Transcribed from the Craven Herald 1 March 1935 by his grandson John Turner September 2019

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
EARBY WORTHIES

LEVI TURNER

Levi Turner was a teacher by profession and is a confirmed lover of young people by nature. In a long career of public service he has always associated himself with the work of teaching, guiding and inspiring youth to aim for the highest and to make the best use of their individual talents.

In his scholastic career he took a keen interest in preparing children to sit the County Minor Scholarship and since his illness and retirement he has never lost interest in the results of the examination. In his religious life he attached himself and gave a great deal of his time to Sunday school work.

Levi Turner entered the choir as a young boy and served for over 30 years as choirmaster at the Baptist Chapel in Earby. He introduced many of the country’s finest singers to Earby for Saturday evening concerts and oratorios which were a feature of the district for many years. Merrie England and other operatic works were performed under his able direction and supervision.

Throughout his life Levi Turner has shown a great love for clean outdoor sports and games. He always accompanied and played with his children in their cricket and football matches and he was associated with local cricket for many years acting as chairman over a long period.

His services have been given freely and generously to the public and religious life of Earby. A good life to look back on. A worthy citizen.

Transcribed by John Turner, Levi's grandson, from Barnoldswick and Earby Times 25th July 1941

PASSING OF EARBY MUSICIAN

The Death of Mr. Levi Turner

The funeral took place at Earby Cemetery, on Saturday, of Mr. Levi Turner, of Hill Crest, 22 School Lane, Earby, who died the previous Wednesday after a long illness.

Mr. Turner, who was 70, had been a school teacher; and through his profession and wide interests had become a well known personality in West Craven. Before settling in Earby he occupied positions in Kent and in Sheffield. Later he taught at Barnoldswick Church School for 29 years where he earned profound respect for his ability and kindliness.

For many years Mr. Turner was chairman of the Earby Cricket Club during an important period in its history, and he always maintained his keen interest in the game and in the local club. Another of his interests was horticulture, and he was a consistently successful exhibitor at local shows. His knowledge of rose cultivation is still a byword amongst "old Earbyers." In politics, too, he was active in a long association with the Liberal Club.

Mr. Turner's crowning achievements, however, were in connection with his work as choirmaster of the Mount Zion Baptist Church, a position which he held with distinction for 31 years. A musician of no mean ability he studied the organ at Rochester Cathedral and was for many years a member of Dr. Coward's choir. Up to his marriage he was organist at the Skipton Road Methodist Church, Colne, and in 1900 he became choirmaster at Earby.

His period of office was memorable for Earby music lovers, partly for the skilful and moving presentation of such oratorios as "Elijah," "Messiah,” and "The Creation” and partly for his enterprise in introducing to Earby audiences such artistes as Dora Labbette, Sydney Coltham and Norman Allin. In lighter vein he was equally talented, and his spectacular productions of "Merry England," "Highwayman Love" and "Dogs o’ Devon" are still remembered. Some years ago, along with Mr. E. Berry, the well-known organist, Mr. Turner was presented with an inscribed gold watch in appreciation of his services to Mount Zion Baptist Church and choir.

Mr. and Mrs. Turner celebrated their golden wedding last March.

The funeral was conducted by the Rev. G. Metcalfe, B.A., B.D., and the Rev. J. Tinker, now of Bradford and formerly pastor of the Mount Zion Church. Tributes were paid to Mr. Turner's fine record of service in church work.

The mourners were as follows: Mrs. Levi Turner (widow), Mr. Clifford Turner (son), Miss Millicent Turner (daughter), Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Smith (son-in-law and daughter), Mr. James Wormwell (brother-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. J. Bushby, Mrs. R. Wormwell, Mr. and Mrs. W. Cowgill, Mrs Walter Turner, Mr. John Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Granville Pinder, Mr. and Mrs. Alan Wormwell, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hartley, Mr. Albert Hartley, Mrs. Snowden.

There were also present representatives of Mount Zion Baptist Church choir, the Earby Cricket Club and the Earby Liberal Club.

Floral tributes included wreath from the officers and leaders of Mount Zion Baptist Sunday School, and from Mount Zion Baptist Church.

Transcribed from the Craven Herald 6 September 1946 by John Turner (grandson)
Last edited by Mixman2019 on 06 Sep 2019, 06:26, edited 2 times in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Church School Barnoldswick History

Post by Stanley »

Another splendid post John. Thanks for taking the trouble....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Loved the stories, great post. :smile:

Also I was surprised to see a married woman on staff, Mrs M Allum. I think there might be a story there saying that she started very close to the time when married women were first allowed to work. And she continued for 34yrs, obviously dedicated, well done Mrs Allum :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Mixman2019

Post by Mixman2019 »

Second half now added and post moved from practice area.
John
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: Thanks John.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”