Drone - Carleton in Craven

Christian

Drone - Carleton in Craven

Post by Christian »

Well, Over lockdown I managed to save and purchase myself a Drone. I've flown it around with all the usual taking pictures and videos, but now I've decided to get serious and put some effort in to see what can be achieved with One Man and his Sub £1000, DJI Phantom 4 :)

Elevation imagery I guess?

Original images taken 16/07/20.
Capture.JPG
village1.jpg
village2.jpg
village3.jpg
village4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christian

Re: Drone - Carleton in Craven

Post by Christian »

village5.jpg
village6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Some belting images there Christian and interesting ground features. Does your drone have a Lidar camera or are your drone images overlaid on existing data?
Ian
Christian

Post by Christian »

Hi Ian,

Other than using Google Maps as a base layer to give some rough idea on where the overlay is, it has all been processed using OpenDroneMap. Whilst its not really direct replacement for LIDAR(That can see through vegetation), Its not bad for the cost involved. I think the resolution of these images came to around 6cm per pixel.

This link explains it better than I can. https://www.opendronemap.org/2020/02/re ... -own-game/
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

That looks like an awesome resource for not much outlay. One time payment for all that detail. If you are interested in open fields and the underlying terrain I would say that it is pretty much ideal. Relative of course as to how old the comparative LiDAR imaging for the same area is. All fascinating stuff and shows what can be done on a relatively low budget within the field of aerial reconnaissance. Some interesting features the other side of the rec field.
Ian
dbrown

Post by dbrown »

Hello. Sorry to bump an old thread but this is really interesting. I am also a drone surveyor for historical and ancient sites. I have done many elevation maps like yours for sites around Yorkshire.

I know its short notice, but myself and a friend (recent graduate in Prehistoric Landscape Archeology) have got some geophysical equipment hired (the type that can see what's buried underground) for Friday 4th Feb until Tuesday 8th Feb 2022. We are surveying sites in Carleton, Elslack, Fewston and Gargrave for a research project.

We have an extra day more with the equipment that we expected. Is there any local sites around South Craven that might be worth a survey? Maybe even this one in Carleton? We would need landowner permission but don't mind knocking on doors

Any tip offs would be appreciated. Thanks!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The area between the bottom of Esp Lane across to Calf Hall Farm is the most promising one in Barlick, according to the history the old Saxon church is in there and the Lidar also suggested Calf Hall Farm itself as the site. Lots on the site about the Saxon church demolished by the Cistercian monks before they abandoned the abbey they were building in the same area.I'll bump an article. (We like bumping old articles here!)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”