1841 Census in Roughlee

rossylass
Regular User

1841 Census in Roughlee

Post by rossylass »

After nine years I am still editing my book about the three Pickles brothers from Barnoldswick, who left Roughlee in the mid 19th century to travel with portable theatres. Will I ever get it finished?
I have struggled to decipher the occupation of my ggg grandfather, Richard Pickles, who lived in Roughlee at the time of the 1841 census. It looks as though it was abbreviated to AS. In that census FS and MS were abbreviations for male and female servants and I now think that the enumerator took it upon himself to add a new abbreviation which stood for agricultural servant. There were only two of them in Roughlee and they were both heads of their households (the other was John Sutcliffe). I've had a good root around the internet and found out that it was a term which disappeared around the beginning of the 19th century and was sometimes applied to agricultural workers who lived in a house, or cottage , on a farm. I've no idea if I'm right or wrong. Has anyone else come across this?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 1841 Census in Roughlee

Post by Wendyf »

Hello again, good to see you popping in for a visit! I've not come across A S as an abbreviation before but having looked at the census it could possibly be an L rather than an S. :smile:
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Hi Wendy,
Why didn’t I think of that! Just goes to show that two heads are better than one! Thanks.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In that case 'Agricultural Labourer' and I think you were on the right track from the beginning.
Were they related to the Pickles who migrated from Lothersdale to Kelbrook?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

I don’t know where they originated. Their banns were read in Colne which was my ggg grandmother’s parish and in Barlick. They certainly moved around a bit. They lived at Heightside, Springs, Closes and moved to Roughlee in 1826.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Sounds like a different branch of the family Rossy.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”