Johnson, Slater & Widdup Ltd

Bizzylizzy

Johnson, Slater & Widdup Ltd

Post by Bizzylizzy »

Hi,
I’m new here so apologies if I’m posting in the wrong place. I’m not sure if I should be in the genealogy area however I opted for here as my query is more in reference to the mills.
I’m trying to gather information on Johnson, Slater and Widdup Ltd.
I understand that the company was owned by family members but I’m trying to figure out exactly who they were and where they fit into my family tree.

I’ve picked up all kinds of snippets from searching through various threads and have also found mention of J. Widdup & Sons and the Widdup bros, who may also possibly be connected to me, but again I can’t seem to find out their names or who the sons/ brothers were either!
My sister remembers many years ago being shown a photo of a mill with a big sign across the top saying ‘Johnson, Slater and Widdup Ltd’ and was told it was one of the family mills, but we have no other information, other than family connections to all 3 names!

Can anyone help? I’d be grateful for any information.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Johnson, Slater & Widdup Ltd

Post by Stanley »

No you are in the right place. Have a look in the article I have reposted 'Barnsey Shed Barnoldswick'. You'll find that they were partners in that mill with 210 looms.
I have a note in the Local History Index....
Craven Herald 18/07/1930. Thomas Johnson, yarn salesman of Manchester Road Barnoldswick applied for discharge from bankruptcy adjudicated in 1923. In 1912 he had with other partners started the firm of Johnson Slater and Widdup trading as cotton manufacturers in Barnoldswick. In 1919 the debtor bought out the other partners but failed four years later. Discharge was granted with seven days stay of execution. This fits in with the Barnsey Shed information above. He evidently kept the name of the firm.
This is interesting because in 1919 just after the war there was a restocking boom and trade was at a peak. Johnson evidently thought the good times were here to stay· His partners may have been more sanguine and realised the boom was artificial and wouldn't last so they sold out to Johnson at the top of the market and no doubt for a good price. In July 19020 the boom collapsed and the Lancashire Textile industry went into a long decline from which it never recovered.
Hope that gives you some clues.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bizzylizzy

Re: Johnson, Slater & Widdup Ltd

Post by Bizzylizzy »

Thank you, that’s very helpful! It certainly gives me a bit more to go on!
I now have a bit of a timeframe to look into.
I’ve had a look at the article on The Barnsey Shed and see that Widdup & Sons also had looms there during that time.
I’m still trying to establish exactly who they were (names) and if they were also connected to the family.
If anyone has any further information as to the forenames of these people it would be a big help!
I’ve now established the name of the ‘Johnson’ partner but have yet to discover who ‘Slater & Widdup’ were!
My g.grandfather was Esau Widdup.

Return to “Local History Topics”