BARNSEY SHED, BARNOLDSWICK

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

FROM GEOFF SHACKLETON. (This was put up on the site in April 2012 but seems to have gone AWOL so I have reposted it.)

In common with you I have little information about this mill and even less of the engine.

Lack of engine details could be due to an aggressive policy of keeping people out of the engine house. Whatever the reason, it will have been compounded (!) by the fact that this was a Yates and Thom engine, which are the worst by far for surviving records particularly if Yates serviced the engine over its life.

TM 15/04/1911 Barnsey Shed Company Registered March 4th. Capital £20,000 in £1 shares……….
First Directors E. Smith, T. Edmondson, M. Pilkington, C.Waller, M. Hacking, S. Yates, A. Hargreaves, W. Patrick, J.W. Pickup, Reg Office Yorkshire Bank Chambers, Barnoldswick.

The engine was built in 1912, Yates and Thom, Blackburn, 1000ihp, Corliss with trunk guides with Dobson gear. Rope driving (number ?). Porter Governor. 66rpm.

Up to the 1920's the tenants seem to have been settled:

W 1915/16, W 1920/21:
Bailey and Roberts Ltd 420 looms
Barnsey Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 420 looms
Cairns and Lang 210 looms
M. Horsfield & Son 420 looms
Johnson, Slater and Widdop 210 looms
Rainhill Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 204 looms
J. Widdop & Sons 200 looms

From the late 1930's to the 1950's the principal tenants were:

S. Pickles and Sons Ltd. 432 looms
Butts Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 420 looms
Craven Manufacturing Co. Ltd. 1260 looms

GS 10/03/01

SCG/12/02/2005

CHRISTENING OF BARNSEY ENGINE

I have noted these details somewhere else but as I received an original invitation to the christening today from Norma and Derek Newbould of Macclesfield who are related to Jack Tooby who was manager at Barnesy in the 1950s I am appending them again.

The invitation is on card five and a half inches deep and eight inches wide, folded in the middle and printed in two colours, brown and blue.

Front page:
Barnsey Shed Company Limited.
Ceremony of Christening the Engines at the newly-erected BARNSEY SHED On Tuesday, June 11, 1912.

Inside pages:
Programme of proceedings.
Chairman – Mr Charles Waller

Messrs. Yates and Thom’s representative will give a detailed description of the engines.

Messrs. Yates and Thom’s representative will introduce the two Ladies to give each of the engines its name.

Mrs. Sam. Yates will name the High-Pressure Engine.

Miss Waller will name the Low-Pressure Engine.

The engine will then be set going by the two Ladies.

Mr Thos. Edmondson will move a vote of thanks to the Ladies for their services.

Mr Ernest Harrison will second the motion. Mr Waller will put the motion to the gathering.

Mr Walter Patrick will move a vote of thanks to the Contractors, Architect and the Clerk of Works.

Mr Mark Hacking will second the motion.

Mr Waller will put the motion to the gathering.

Mr Atkinson (Architect), Mr Ed. Smith (Clerk of the Works) and Contractors will respond.

The Directors and Guests will then drive to Rathmell.

The Sod-Cutting Ceremony took place on June 20th 1911.

The back page is blank.

SCG/12 February 2005
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”