New Earby History Website

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New Earby History Website

Post by Wendyf »

The Earby & District Local History Society have a new website which has just gone "live" at:
http://www.earbyhistory.co.uk
It is a new venture, and we are just getting the hang of using it at the moment. Members of the society will have access through the website to items from the archives, including (when we have worked out the best way of doing it) transcriptions of the Thornton-in-Craven parish records. So far we have provided an index to the archive collection which is now housed in our new "Heritage Room" at the New Road Community Centre, downloads of old newspaper articles and back issues of the "Earby Chronicles".
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: New Earby History Website

Post by PanBiker »

Just had a quick look Wendy, first impressions are very good, well designed and easy to navigate. Will revisit when I have some more time. Its a bit late to explore now.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good start, clear and looks as though it could grow into a significant resource. Only comment I would make is that at present it looks as though you can only get full access to sections like the gallery by signing up as a member. Nowt wrong with that but it cuts down on the browsing opportunities for guests.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The website has been designed by the daughter of one of our members, and she has done an excellent job. This is just a start, and I hope the gallery will be developed over time. Take your point Stanley, but at least we are making progress, better than having everything locked away in a cupboard!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have been updating the website this morning, and we are starting to make more things available to non-members. There is also an up to date index to our archives to download as a PDF.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

More interesting things available for download from the website all the time. We now have transcripts of the Thornton-in-Craven parish registers and the Earby Baptist births & burials available as downloads in the Members Only area. Almost everything else is available to anyone.
Suzy Que

Post by Suzy Que »

HI ,, I am wondering if there are any online sites that can help with genealogy trying to track Waite family from Moor Hall farm back to 1600,s ,, i have names if anyone can help ,, thanks Suzy
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Hi Susy, there are parish registers for Thornton in Craven on the Earby History Society Website that you can download in pdf format. Have a look here:

http://www.earbyhistory.co.uk/parish-records/4561597133
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Any relation to the John Waite who farmed Hill Clough at one time?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “Local History Topics”