SALTERFORTH PART SEVEN

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SALTERFORTH PART SEVEN

Post by Stanley »

SALTERFORTH 07

The opening of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal stimulated development along its course. At the same time it was only one facet of a wider change in industry as the steam age dawned. This increased economic activity stimulated population growth and house-building and this in turn meant a demand for more paved streets in towns. The growing textile towns over the border in Lancashire had plenty of suitable local stone for house-building but needed a harder material for the stone setts which were the universal paving method right through the 19th century. The stone from the two quarries on Salterforth Lane was ideal for this, remember Jack Platt telling us it was twice as hard to saw than the equivalent stone from the top quarries? It didn't take long for this opportunity to be realised and addressed. Let's look at the ownership and history of these quarries.
If you kept the map from last week, have a look at Bashfield Farm just over the canal bridge at the Anchor Inn. Look westwards and you'll see Hall Spout mentioned and just to the east of it 'Hydraulic Ram'. At this time Gledstone Estate at West Marton owned a lot of land in the area and Harold Duxbury told me that the ram at Hall Spout was put in by the estate to pump water up the hill to supply their other holdings. These included the quarry on the north side of Salterforth Lane which was rented from them by the Sagar family who ran it until closure in about 1930.
The quarry on the opposite side of the lane was originally part of Park Close Farm. In the Leeds Mercury of Saturday November 7th 1818 there was a sale notice for 25 acres of pasture in Salterforth which included Park Close, at the time of the sale the occupier was James Hartley. I'm assuming that it was after this sale that Park Close quarry was started. In the electoral rolls for 1835 to 1859 Joseph Barritt is mentioned as living at Park Close. I have evidence that in November 1857 a mortgage was taken out on Park Close Quarry by John Lonsdale, Joseph Barritt and William Barritt. Shortly after this William (Billycock) Bracewell was appointed trustee under a deed of assignment for the benefit of the creditors of the former owner. (Lonsdale and the Barritts?) In this capacity he sold the property at auction in 1867 and subsequently purchased it himself in 1870. The next mention of the quarry is in 1887 when it was included in the sale of the Bracewell properties after the failure of the Bracewell partnership. The buyers at the sale were a new company called the Salterforth Stone and Brick Company with capital of £5000. We have a list of the promoters of the company and one of them is H Marsden of Salterforth, boat owner. By 1897 the quarry was being run by a partnership of George Sagar (mentioned previously at the Waterworks Quarries) and a Mr W Chew, this partnership dissolved that year when Mr Chew retired. I can't say how much longer George Sagar ran Park Close but Harold Duxbury told me that at some time after 1900 a pork butcher from Barlick called Witham went into partnership with a man called Bill Moss who was supposed to run the quarry. Unfortunately Moss failed him so Whitham sold his shop, moved up to live at the quarry and ran it himself. As far as I know Whitham was the last operator of the quarry.
Notice the name of the Salterforth Stone and Brick Company in 1887. Bricks come into the equation because by then a brickworks had been built below the quarry using offal, the waste from the stone-getting. I have no direct evidence but I suspect Bracewell started this during his tenure. Harold Duxbury told me that it survived well into the 1920s but the brick quality was poor and eventually it was shut down.
Right, sorry about all the detail but I think we've got the ownership of the quarries sorted out now! Lets get back to stone setts. Sometime early in the 19th century both the quarries on Salterforth Lane started to produce stone setts for street paving in the Lancashire towns. They both built narrow gauge tramways down to the canal where the setts were loaded onto canal boats for delivery, the trucks held about 25cwt and ran on ten inch flanged wheels. Sagar's tramway went across the fields to a wharf on the side of the canal where Kelbrook New Road crosses the canal today and Park Close had a shorter track down to the canal at a point directly below the quarry south of the Anchor Inn. Incidentally, there was a boatyard at the same point where canal boats were built. The tramways operated by gravity with horses pulling the empty trucks back up to the quarry. Billy Brooks once told me that Sagars had a small steam locomotive at one time, he could remember it being derailed at one time on the sharp bend just above the wharf near the road bridge. Billy also said that the trucks frequently jumped off the track because they tended to come down too fast. Both quarries had large steam cranes and used explosives for rock-getting.
The picture we have built up of the quarries show how important they were to the economic life of the village. They also resulted in boat ownership in the village, boat building and traffic to the Lancashire towns. They even became important in the 20th century when bulk broken stone was needed for the beds of new roads. Sagar's quarry produced a lot of waste and for many years this was tipped on the land below the quarry. When Kelbrook New Road was built this was handy material for raising the road bed to level it and Jack Platt also told me that thousands of tons were carted to the new road out of Skipton to Keighley beyond the end of Broughton Road.
The quarries had a down beat end to their careers. Sagar's became a car breaker's yard with a garden centre below and Park Close was used as a scrap yard by Gibson's, then as a tip and recently it was proposed that it be used for storing reclaimed stone but this was refused on the grounds that the lane wasn't suitable for heavy traffic. It's a good job that these regulations weren't in place around 1820! I couldn't even guess at how many hundreds of thousands of tons of stone came out of that small but very busy piece of the hillside.
I have a little story for you. Fred Inman once told me that a cousin of his father used to work for John Sagar who was generally reckoned to be a hard employer. He had a bull terrier and used to take it to work with him. John Sagar came cross him one day and accused him of using it as a watchdog because every time he came to him he was working. He said either the dog stayed at home or they both went. Parkinson's cousin refused so John sacked him. Fred said that old John Sagar was right, the dog used to whimper every time it heard him coming!

The Park Close boat loaded with setts and ready for the journey to Burnley. About 1900.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
klondykekid

Re: SALTERFORTH PART SEVEN

Post by klondykekid »

Hi Stanley,

Good job on the history of the quarries... it ties in nicely with what I have found out... I also have lots of tales from the workers who worked there and the neighbouring landowners, who had many run-ins with the Barnoldswick Sagars (who lived at Bleak House on Hodge Lane) I believe he built that house... so he could watch the workers from his window!) Yes he was a hard-man indeed

Firstly I wish to correct the info regarding the 'Park Close barge photograph' of which I have an original copy ( which is 6inch by 9inch and extremely finely detailed) I also believe the original 1/4 negative is in Colne library DDbd(1972)5/67 (if my records are correct?)

The photograph is not of a Park Closes barge (which I have photos of and they belonged to Holgate Marsden who lived at Bashfield Farm and had part investment in Park Close Quarry, was owner of the Salterforth Boatyard and he also had a cart-haulage company and was from the mid 19th century, sole supplier of coal to Barnoldswick (the King of Coal) through the leeds/ liverpool Canal Company and it was he who bought land at Elm Close in Salterforth to stop the Barnoldswick Railway Company from building a station and coaling stage at that site) have you ever wondered why Salterforth never had a station or sidings? well now you know why... it was beacuse Holgate Marsden was a shrewed businessman who did what he could to protect his large business empire from anyone who tried to take away his trade..

The photo you show in your article was taken in April 1893, and shows George Sagar sat with his daughter, and some of his employees loading setts onto his new barge at Hatters bridge Wharf and on my original it shows a pile of over 100tons of setts to the left and another stone getter with a barrow who was loading the barge by hand... on average this barge would carry 50 ton of setts and was horse-drawn

I have a lease and a detailed map of this wharf & quarry; In June 1892, Mrs Mary Bell (of the Wilkinson-Bell family of Higher Green Hill Mansion) and others did lease land called 'Lower Smyth Ing' to Henry and George Sagar of Foulridge for the Wharf at Hatters Bridge and for the right to construct a tram-road from their quarry recently opened by them, at a yearly rent of £12:0:0

This quarry is situated just above Higher Lee Farm, which is three fields away to the south of Park Close Quarry, the stone is of the same quality and high quality setts were produced there... but it never became a large venture because within a few years the rent for the tramroad rose sharply and eventually the yearly lease was withdrawn by the landowner, which spelled the end for the quarry and George Sagar moved his interests into Park Close

Now to add some info regarding 'Hall Spout' springs and pumphouse: yes the hydraulic ram was installed in the middle of the 19th century by the Roundells of Gledstone Estate to supply water to Higher Park Farm and other lands the estate owned, and folklore also says pipes were laid all the way to Gledstone Old Hall to supply the estate buildings with high quality spring water, although I have no proof of such, maybe David Nelson could help...?

The name 'Hall Spout' is a corruption of the name 'Fall' Spout which is the springs medieval name, a number of the fields around the site are called Wilson Fall, Great Fall, Preston Fall, The Fall and is from the old english 'Falc' which means to mow or cut grass for making hay. Hall Spout was also the site for taking water by the Salterforth Water Company and which I have researched extensively and written up its history, please Stanley, if you wish to write about this I will supply you with a copy or go and see Andy Shackleton at Higher Park Farm, who I have given a copy...

Stanley, I'm in a bit of a quandry... one the one hand I'm very keen to publish all my research on this site, but on the other it has the diluting effect of my attempts to publish a book on the history of my village, its parish and environs.... what should i do? as I do wish to retain copyright of my written history as it has been a huge undertaking and investment in time and research and some of it is copyright from my sources... including private estate records and deeds. I have to be careful of what I put into the public domain... But then again if I write a book it could be well over a thousand pages thick, because I have so much material and nearly 500 old photo's of Salterforth. Its obvious that I will never be able to do full justice with a book, unless I do a series of them... or to publish my whole research here on this site, inc' all my photo's (which increases year on year) but to retain legal copyright, but allow access and use for teaching and personal study. Any advise you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway keep up the good work with the articles... its good to stir memories and emotions and get people enthused with where they live...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nick, thanks for that. I can't advise you on what to do about copyright because I don't believe that anyone has the right to claim copyright on material which originally they found in the public domain. My attitude is that the wider the material is disseminated the better, that's why I write my articles, books and publish on the site. The LTP would still be hidden in the archives if I hadn't sent it out into the world free of copyright by way of OG and mailing CDs to over 100 libraries and institutions all over the world. It's down to you, believe me you won't lose anything in monetary terms.
This raises an interesting question. I was going to do an update for the paper based on all the information I have got in feedback. Does this mean you would object if I used what you have told me? Let me know....
One last nit-picking point, as George Sagar was a director of the company couldn't it still be regarded as a Park Close boat?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

Hi Stanley,

The boat was not a 'Park Close Boat'... well definately not at the time of the photo being taken!.. which is fact! as that was during the time when he owned the small quarry above Higher Lee, but once this venture failed... with the rise in rent for the tram road to Hatters Bridge Wharfe, he moved his money and employees into Park Close. It is possible he did keep this boat and used it at Park Close, but when this photo was taken in 1893 he had no involvement with Park Close, only the Water Works Quarry, which all went by road. Also dont forget that during the severe winter of 1894 with 13 solid weeks of frost... many quarries lost their workers who had to take work in the mills and a good number didnt return! so there was a slump in stone masons for some 3-5years after 1894. Thats why I would not call it a Park Close Barge. You must also remember that Holgate Marsden was a big man within the Leeds Liverpool Canal Company haulage and it was his barges that moved most of Park Close Quarries Stone, he also owned the land over which the Park Close tram road ran and he owned the land and wharfe at Salterforth Boat Yard and all the canal wharfes and wharehouses at Salterforth, including the wharfe at Bashfield for the munitions depot. He had a tight hold on almost all the transportation of coal and stone on this section of canal and was until the coming of the Railway to Barnoldswick the only source of coal for the mills at Barnoldswick by way of the canal, road tramsportation of coal was very difficult and not viable in the quanties needed in Barnoldswick's mills and houses. He was known as the 'King of Coal' and was good friends with William Bracewell. And it was perhaps partly his stranglehold on Barnoldswick Coal that later forced the Barnoldswick Railway Co to form... along with housing materials needed during the cotton boom and subsequent house building.

Hope that helps???
klondykekid

Post by klondykekid »

No.. for me, its not about making money from publishing a book... I have enough capital pledged from wealthy local people to cover costs of producing a book... but perhaps upwards of half of my research is from private estate records and individuals and some of the material is or has only been granted to me and my research because of who I am, I have been given rare chance to research such material... and the other half are privately owned photo's (upto 50 years from the death of a photographer the family can still legally claim title and royalties there of...) as well as owning the original negative gives automatic copyright! The other parts of my research from the public domain is still legally copyright of record offices, libraries, museums, etc. And I just wish to avoid a legal case... It does happen! but like you... I do agree that this information should be freely availbale to the general public and I applaud your efforts and achievements. Its just I know the laws pretty well and therefore am more cautious...

Yes feel free to use the info I have written on here... and bollocks to those who say its copyright!

after all: no one person actually owns anything! we are only here for a short span of time, and are but only temporary custodians of what we hold.....

kind regards,
Nick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just been going through the articles to pick out the feedback for a loose ends article and it struck me that if anyone wants to get a good picture of coal supplies and stone as well the Minutes of the Calf Hall Shed Company have lots of clues because it details where they bought their supplies and a lot can be gleaned about transport.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Interesting as always, as are the comments.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you think so Gloria. I find I had forgotten some of the information.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Haha Stanley, I can forget if I’ve had my breakfast. 😂
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again and a good job too! I had forgotten some of the information again.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”