WASTE NOT WANT NOT

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

WASTE NOT WANT NOT

Post by Stanley »

WASTE NOT WANT NOT

I came across a surprising statistic the other day, it is estimated that over £12 million is wasted each year by people throwing away cold cups of tea. God alone knows how they managed to work this out but if it's true, what a waste! Personally I see nothing wrong with cold tea, in fact I quite like it but have these people never heard of a quick blast in the microwave? This triggered me off into thinking about sell-by dates, another cause of food waste because it is illegal to sell food that has exceeded its date so it goes to landfill.
It might surprise the younger people but us oldies can remember a time when there were no dates and we all relied on our eyes and nose to decide whether food was fit to eat or not. Funnily enough we weren't dying like flies! Part of the reason for this was that we cooked food at home and we made sure it was well-cooked for long enough to kill the majority of bacteria. The sell-by date only became necessary when ready-prepared foods became common and were not thoroughly cooked before eating, another example of how the food processors have modified our attitudes to food. Indeed, we knew that raw meat became more tender if it was allowed to 'mature' before we cooked it. An extreme case is the way the gentry used to hang game until the maggots were dropping off it before washing in vinegar and then cooking. In case you're wondering, I class this as a depraved appetite and never went that far! However, I'm sure you will have noted that the very best beef is hung in the cold room for about three weeks before it's sold. The way this works is that as soon as meat is hung the bacteria start to break the meat down and the first parts that are affected are the minute fibres of gristle in the muscle and it is these that cause fresh meat to be tough. Normal cooking arrests the process, kills the bacteria and you have tender meat.
I like good food and I hate waste so I have a suggestion. Why can't out of date food be kept on the shelves in a special section and sold at a reduced price to those of us who know enough about food and its treatment to make up our own minds whether something is fit to eat or not? One example, almost all chickens contain harmful bacteria but we all knew that if it was cooked till it dropped off the bone it was tender and safe. Modern chefs tell us this ruins the meat and urge us to eat it pink because that's how they cook it in kitchens where cooking time is money. They may have much to answer for, as my mother used to say “It isn't burnt, it's just well done”!

No sell-by date, home made!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WASTE NOT WANT NOT

Post by PanBiker »

Your comment about hanging game until maggoty reminded me of my trip to Iceland where a delicacy enjoyed by some is thirteen year old putrefied shark! They bury the sharks in pits which are managed so that they can be dug up at the correct time. We saw it on more than a few menus when were out and about in Reykjavik. Sally likes fish but drew the line at that particular offering. Not being a particular fan of fish, which as you would imagine there is a lot of it up for grabs on most menus, I tended to go for Mexican fare on my visit.

I too think that best before and sell by dates are an absolute travesty and the amount of waste of perfectly good food that this produces abhorrent. There should be no such thing as a hungry person in this country.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dead right Ian. Thanks to both for the thanks!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

After date of 'Best Before' items are often sold {at bargain bulk buy prices} in some market stalls and in the cheaper shops in Colne ( Mostly relates to tinned goods , where as long as not stored in abusive conditions are probably good for a couple of years past the Best Before date , Crisps and Biscuits , where the timeframe from crunchy to soggy can vary depending on how packed and cooked in the first place anyway ).
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm impressed by the concept of the `circular economy' and by the Ellen McArthur Foundation, one of its strongest promoters. I've just read about the Foundation in a newspaper article and it sounds like the lass has really got big business thinking along `waste not, want not' lines, believe it or not! An example of what is meant by circular economy is the idea that we should not be buying our washing machines – we should be leasing them. Similarly, don't buy tyres for your car but lease them instead. Manufacturers will be motivated to make products that are higher quality and will last longer. As explained by the BBC's Roger Harrabin for the washing machine example: "...manufacturers would be able to supply top-end machines most economical in energy and water; it would be in the makers’ interest to maximise longevity to minimise service bills; and it would create a supply-return loop so that old machines went back to makers to be re-furbished, updated or taken apart and cannibalised – and in the last resort melted down." Harrabin's article is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21804935
and the Foundation's page on the circular economy is here:
http://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org ... ar-economy
McArthur is enthusiastically promoting the idea to big businesses and government and showing them that there is something to be made out of the future, it isn't all gloom and doom. This upbeat message seems to be working and could bring some major beneficial changes. The circular economy could lower our dependence on non-renewable resources and energy and thus reduce carbon emissions and slow climate change. This is the way to go! :cool4:

EDIT: Another important point about this circular economy concept is that ownership and responsibility lies with the manufacturer, not the customer. This means that when a product comes to the end of its life or the customer wants an updated version, it's the responsibility of the manufacturer to recycle or dispose of it. This makes it easier to establish a system of accountability whereby the manufacturer has to account for each item of each product line, and be able to show how it and its components have been dealt with at the end of its life, with the emphasis on re-use, recycling or conversion to other materials or energy.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder why the concept of 'circular economy' never caught on Peter.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Have you listened to these Dare to Repair programmes? BBC
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the first one.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.... I think we need this article more than ever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

It’s very good Stanley. 👏
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope that the present economic circumstances will at least have the benefit of prompting more people to not waste food.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for commenting.... :biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”