THE PUBLIC NOTICE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE PUBLIC NOTICE

Post by Stanley »

THE PUBLIC NOTICE

Posting public notices has a long history. It's mentioned in the Bible when King Nebuchadnezzar got his warning in the notice that appeared on the wall during a feast. No Robin Hood film is complete without the reward notice for the capture of the outlaw being nailed to a tree by the evil Sheriff’s men, the 'wanted' poster is an essential element in all cowboy films. In later times, in Barlick during the 19th century shopkeepers advertised their wares by painting notices on the shop window using thick whitewash and everything from lost dogs to theatrical performances was advertised on public billboards. There used to be a faded notice on a barn door in Horton in Craven informing the reader that 'All Stray Dogs Will Be Shot'. Another class of public notice is the signpost giving road directions or more specific ones used by the railway companies in particular informing travellers that the bridge they were about to cross was adequate only for 'The usual Traffic of the District'. These were cast iron signs and I can remember one on a telegraph pole on High Lane near Wood End Farm that read 'It is an offence to throw stones at the telegraphs', this referred to the breaking of the pot insulators that were used to support the wires, evidently young lads like to see if they could hit them. As time went on the signs proliferated, have you ever noticed the small signs at pavement level that identify fire hydrants and gas and water mains. Some of them were quite enigmatic, like the small posts with yellow markers on that you will occasionally see out in the countryside in hedgerows. These mark the track of the underground pipelines which were put in all over the country during the 1950s. Others are a puzzle like the famous one that appeared all over the country reading 'It is an Offence to Throw Stones at this Notice', I've never got a definitive answer to this one but the favourite explanation is that it was a joke perpetrated by bored workers at the Royal Label Factory at Stratford on Avon.
You'd think that in these modern times when there are so many ways of advertising and communicating that the public notice would be in decline but as I'm sure you have noticed, there are more than ever. Many of these are of course road signs but even in the centre of town we have seen a proliferation in recent years of peculiarly useless signposts pointing the way to Tourist Information or the Library. I have to admit I have never quite understood why we need these. Surely any lost tourists would simply ask a local? Perhaps it's time we thinned the notices out a bit and reduced the clutter!

The stray dogs notice in Horton.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: THE PUBLIC NOTICE

Post by PanBiker »

A favourite of mine although not strictly a notice is the "spot height" or "benchmark" a simple upward arrow terminating at a short line to indicate a reference point on a map. So simple and says it all as long as you know what it means and know how to interpret the information.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Agreed Ian. Until I found out that they were bench marks I thought they were something to do with the army but then of course the first Ordnance Survey was just that, done by the army for military purposes.
A similar thing is the small metal studs you'll see embedded in the ground here and there, markers for surveying points.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped. I still think we need to thin the local signs out, especially the ones pointing the way to non-existent Tourist Advice Centres....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A memory of mine from 60 years ago when going to the school dentists on Harrison Street. Nothing to do with the dentist or Harrison Street but at the bottom of Kelbrook Road, there used to be a council sign that proclaimed "21 deaths on this stretch of road". There have been a lot more now! Anyway, roll on about 10 years and the same sign became a notice board on the wall at the side of the workers bus park which is now the entrance to the Waste Recycling Centre off West Close Road. The Council had just used it as the backboard for a glass enclosed job and you could see the old sign when it was devoid of notices. It used to be a cinder topped surface and when empty in the evenings it was an ideal space to learn to ride a motorbike!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Ian! :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”