SUMMER AT LAST!

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SUMMER AT LAST!

Post by Stanley »

SUMMER AT LAST!

I'm writing this at the beginning of June and at the moment it looks as though the weather that gave us the coldest Spring for over fifty years has relented and we are enjoying a spell of sunny dry weather with full sunshine and no excessive temperatures. The very best of British weather. Of course, we must always remember the comment “If you don't like the weather, hang on for half an hour, it will soon change!” We are all well aware of our unpredictable climate which is of course a product of our maritime climate, we are influenced by the 3,000 miles of ocean to the West.
I noted 'no excessive temperatures'. Two things affect us in Barlick, the first is that we lie at least 500 feet above sea level and this relatively slight elevation has a big effect on our weather. For instance, it will be a couple of degrees cooler at the top of Weets than it is in the town. The wind is slightly stronger and more likely to drop rain on us as the prevailing Westerlies are forced higher when they hit the high ground of Whitemoor. We should also remember that we are on the same latitude as Labrador where at the moment they are enjoying five degrees centigrade, about ten degrees cooler than us. The difference is due to the warming effect of the Gulf Stream out in the Atlantic pumping warm water up from the South and transferring it to us via the wind here in the Pennines.
This Northerly latitude has its advantages. I have a visitor coming this Friday, a long-lost relative from Australia. I was talking to him on the phone yesterday, he is staying in Melksham in Wiltshire and is amazed by the fact that we have almost 24 hours of daylight. He's used to having a maximum of just over 12 hours at home. By the time you read this it will be around the longest day and given a clear sky you will be able to read a newspaper in the street at midnight. So, take heart! We may not have the longest summer but we have longer days to enjoy the sun. Another advantage we have is that our summers are lush green, the gardens and fields enjoy the mixture of sunshine and showers and the freedom from parching in the heat. Wall to wall sunshine is fine but far better when you can look out onto fields that are not burned brown.
Mind you, I have one small whinge about Barlick in summer weather. Some of the shorts that come out onto the streets can best be classified as 'wardrobe accidents'! What was perfectly OK in Spain ten years ago might not be the best choice for Barlick. But this is a minor complaint and nobody will take any notice of me....

I promise not to wear them!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SUMMER AT LAST!

Post by Stanley »

Like the shorts? I was stopped twice on the street yesterday by people who liked the pic... No accounting for taste!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Not that into shorts myself...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Love the picture also. Redneck shorts and beard!

I had an American friend, now sadly passed away, who used to say "When I was a kid we lived so far up a dirt track that we thought asphalt was something you saw your doctor about!" :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lighter piece but still some truths embedded in it. I still have the shorts but have lost the beard......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”