MAKING A LIVING 12

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

MAKING A LIVING 12

Post by Stanley »

MAKING A LIVING 12

The Rover Company’s main activity was the refurbishment of other maker's aero engines but at Bankfield and Waterloo in Clitheroe they had a small section dealing with a secret project. A man called Frank Whittle had invented what he called a 'jet engine', a totally new concept that did away with propellers and promised far greater power. However, the Rover Company were running into trouble with the project, truth to tell they hadn't the necessary technical expertise and early in 1942 Spencer Wilkes of Rover approached Ernest Hives, general manager of Rolls Royce and proposed a partnership to develop the new idea. Hives didn’t like the idea of joint control and in a famous meeting with Wilkes at the Swan with Two Necks in Clitheroe it was agreed that Rolls would take over the main management of the project and the whole of Bankfield. Rolls moved into Bankfield before the agreement had been drawn up and signed. You know the rest of the story, Rolls Royce went on to pioneer the practical jet engine and are still in business in Barlick. Though not fully realised at the time, this combination of the modernising of the redundant mills for aero engine work and even more significantly, Rolls Royce coming to the town, was the best thing for Barlick since the arrival of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in 1800.
The effects on the town were immediate. The work force made redundant by the mill closures was highly disciplined, had good technical skills and were ideal for re-training in the new jobs. The shortfall in the labour force was made up by other workers flooding into the town and they all needed lodgings. Rolls built what is now their social club at Coates for female incomers. The old Vicarage became a hostel and the local traders and pubs immediately saw trade improve. Briggs and Duxbury's as the major builder in the town expanded and set on many of the other small builders as sub-contractors. Luckily the German bombers couldn't reach us and workers who came up from the Midlands said that it was paradise after what they had been through. The thing that always strikes me about this story is that it happened completely by chance. During the bad days of the 1930s there had been no government initiatives to help us. Ironically our best friend had been Adolph Hitler and with my tongue firmly in my cheek I have often suggested that we should put a statue up of him in the Town Square!
Throughout the war some of the weaving sheds kept running but under strict government control and with less looms. Once again, the manufacturers were optimistic that conditions would improve after the war and a lot of space was taken up by redundant looms piled two high waiting for happier days. There was another small matter. The new industries paid far better wages than in textiles and in the end this was to become a major problem for the weaving firms that survived.

Calf Hall Shed was taken over completely.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Re: MAKING A LIVING 12

Post by Nolic »

My dad felt a sense of injustice in that whilst he was away fighting some relatives and friends benefited from the arrival of RR and the paucity of skilled labour in the town and he returned to weaving whilst they ended up with highly skilled jobs for life. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

During the war years my mum worked on engine testing at Rolls Royce, and still has the ear protectors she was issued with. when the war finished my mum became a housewife again. when my father returned he took up engineering once more. My mum was probably a little miffed at losing a job she loved, but the future brought a re-connection when her grandson took up employment with RR in Derby, and is still there. My father always had a preference for Rover cars, it is now to late to ask but I wonder if it came from their association with Barlick.
elise

Post by elise »

The meeting between Wilks, Hives and Hooker took place at The Swan and Royal Hotel in Castle Street, Clitheroe, The Swan With Two necks is in Pendleton. Rover were secretly testing engines in Waterloo Mill in Clitheroe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Elise and that was what I have always quoted but was led astray by an 'authoritative' source! I've just checked in The Rolls Royce Story, Vol 3, (page 302) And Pugh confirms the meeting was in December 1942 at the Swan and Royal.
You never pinpointed where the pound was in Butts......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

elise

Post by elise »

The sign on the gates of the old mortuary state that it was the site of the pinfold
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

My mum also worked on engine refurbishment and worked through all the engineering processes on the shop floor ending up on final inspection. Fully trained by that time, it made no difference, at the cessation of hostilities she was called to the office and given her cards and told to go home and be a "housewife". No tribunals to complain to then so just had to get on with it.

Dad was in the Territorials and scooped up into the regular army on day one at the outbreak. Nearly 1946 when he got out with no trade as such as he had run his dads milk round before the war and that was not there when he returned. His dad died in 1941 and the round was sold on. Compassionate leave from duties in Iceland to attend the funeral but he never made it. By the time he got back to Barlick his dad was already buried. 12 hours at home then off back, arrived 2 day's late back in Reykjavik due to holding on North Atlanic troopship waiting for intelligence to sail. Met by two MP's, marched to O in C and shoved in the clanger for 2 weeks as AWOL.
Any work he could get after de-mob with no trade (weeks of snow shifting in the winter of 47). Knocked off dole for refusing night work when Mum was in late stages of pregnancy and could not get cover for her at night. Finally got onto a government training scheme in 1948 (Labour Government initiative) for building and allied trades. 3 years work based on the job training, (building the Bracken Bank Estate at Keighley), came out as bricklayer and plasterer but experienced in all other aspects such as architecture, drainage, roofing, etc. Joined his brothers Building and Joinery business and worked there until retirement.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As I told the CO when I was up for demob interview, I quite liked the work but didn't like the Firm! Typical story Ian but they survived and prospered....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. More essential local history.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”