SOUGH BRIDGE MILL PART 3

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SOUGH BRIDGE MILL PART 3

Post by Stanley »

SOUGH BRIDGE MILL (3)

It’s 1946 and Sough Mill has a new role in life. Bristol Tractors have moved in and set up three separate firms, Bristol Tractors, Forecast Foundry and Kelbrook Metal Products. They are employing 350 workers which is more than a weaving shed would have taken on the eight loom system. On the whole, Earby has come out of the war in good shape, increased skills, two new firms and a bright future. As I’ve said before, every cloud has a silver lining.
The Foundry and KMP not only did the Bristol Tractors work, they took outside contracts as well. I remember my father, an old time engineer by trade, coming in the shop one day after a visit to the foundry just to see what was going on and he was muttering to himself. I asked him what was wrong and he told me he had just been watching them casting rail chairs for British Railways. I asked him what was wrong with that and he said that the chairs they were casting were for bull-headed rails when he was quite sure that BR had standardised on flat bottom rail, a completely different article. I don’t know what came of that, I suppose BR paid up and took delivery. Not a good way to run a railway!
I have an idea that the sales director at the time was a man called Bill Gallemore. He must have known Bill Harrison the man I was driving for because we got the contract for delivering the rain water goods they made all over the country and that was my first load when I went on to the tramp. I remember my first job was guttering for a bonded warehouse at Menstrie in Scotland. They kept us going for about five years before I finished and went on the cattle wagons.
We got used to these little crawler tractors clattering past the shop. I think they gave them a test on the land behind the mill. I’ve been told that a man called Arthur Wood from Colne was one of the test drivers. Another name I remember from then is Chris Demaine from Foulridge. Chris was an old farm man originally and I have an idea he worked at Rovers at Sough during the war. We used to see a lot of him because he was the bookie’s runner for the works and was always popping in to use the telephone to put his bets on. Tom Ward worked in the office, my mother had a soft spot for Tom, she used to say he was a ‘nice young man’. Tom eventually left and started a tailor’s shop in Barlick on Rainhall road and retired about a year ago.
Here’s a list of some other names that cropped up in the research: H K West, shop foreman and his son John Michael West who was an apprentice. J Wilkinson, Colne. W Pickover, Earby. J Maxwell, Earby. Francis Clarke, Barnoldswick and Jennifer Rigby.
Much of Bristol’s production was exported and Eric Field the managing director travelled all over the world in the 1960s looking for trade. In 1969 Marshall’s of Gainsborough (a Thomas Ward Company) bought Bristol tractors and under their ownership the last Bristol, the Taurus, was built. I’m not sure when Bristol’s finished at Sough or whether the foundry and KMP carried on afterwards but Bristol Tractors itself was wound up in 1978 and once more Sough Mill was looking for a fresh role.
Today, the mill looks to be quite busy. It has been split up into units one of which is called Bristol House but the main occupier is Adapt Engineering and strangely enough, most of their work is aerospace related. So, all we need is a small weaving company to start up there and the wheel will have come full circle.
So there we have it, the story of Sough Bridge so far. I suppose that most people would pass the mill without a second glance but as we have seen from this brief history, it has been the scene of some important innovations. In the beginning it was room and power. This was the system whereby a group of entrepreneurs built a mill, installed the steam engine and shafting and let the space out to small firms. There were many such sheds in the district and they allowed a lot of manufacturers to get started for a very small capital outlay and one that could be financed from profits. Most of the new mills built after 1900 were financed by men who had started in room and power.
Percy Lowe and his role in setting up the self-help sheds came to the rescue of a lot of workers when trade got bad in the 1930s and it was as a direct result of this that Johnsons came to Earby. They provided constant high quality employment in Victoria Mill for 65 years, a fine record in the weaving industry.
What looked like a disaster in 1939 triggered off another phase of expansion and increased skills when the Rover Company came in and later in 1942, Rolls Royce. A spin-off from this was the number of small back street suppliers that serviced the aero industry. The conversion of Sough Mill to a modern electrified factory by Rovers allowed Bristol Tractors to come in and they lasted another thirty years and kept the skills going. Today the mill still serves a useful purpose 125 years on as accommodation for a variety of small firms.
The thing that strikes me about all this is that not one of the changes was as a result of a coherent industrial policy by the government. It all happened by chance and the right man being their at the right time. So, if you want a good question for a pub trivia quiz how about this one. ‘What is the connection between Percy Lowe, Clarence Jowett and Adolph Hitler?’ That one should get them guessing!

The Bristol Tractor made at Sough.

SCG/30 April 2003
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SOUGH BRIDGE MILL PART 3

Post by Wendyf »

The Earby History Society have just been given a large donation of material relating to Bristol Tractors...photographs, posters, etc.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Click to enlarge. Here's one for the society's collection Wendy. Councillor Greenwood's Rover car parked outside the mill at Sough in 1957.
By the way Wendy, feel free to copy any of my pics for your collection. If you want higher resolution just let me know.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and images restored.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

That is a great image !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

I love looking at old images like this one, not just the foreground but what's happening around and bits of small detail.

Looking at the car, it appears to have the opening in the front bumper for the old cranking handle. My dad used to have a Wolsey 6/80 in the late 1950's and he spent many a happy hour (not) cranking the engine to get it started. I can remember that cars registration number, ECP209. Don't ask me the registration of the car I'm driving now, I haven't got a clue.

Also, behind the car is a suited gentleman who appears to be about to enter the building and a small child. I wonder who they were? He appears to be carrying something, possibly a coat

The partially bricked up window and the pipe coming out of the wall are still there but there appears to be some king of wooden structure fastened to the wall directly to the left of the car. Looking at the same area now on Google maps I don't see any sign of there being an entrance there once.
The triangular piece sticking off the wall at the top looks to be a sign of some sort and I can just about make out the words "Electrical ?? Engineers"

There's a lot in that image, a great snapshot in time.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The wooden structure looks like those containing laying out boards, but this would surely be too late for that...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that's what it was Wendy, St John's Ambulance. The triangular structure was a board advertising I think it was Kelbrook Metal Products. They were in this end of the mill, Tractors at the other end and the Forcast Foundry was accessed via the lane down the side of the mill and tha back yard.
I've just remembered something about that car, it had a free wheel, there was a black knob on the dashboard and if you turned it there was no drive from the back axle to the transmission, yo lifted your foot off the pedal and the engine idled while the car went on at full speed. Of course that meant you had no engine braking..... :biggrin2:

Here's another angle, as you can see it was the KMP sign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It does seem a bit late for the laying out board box but I am in agreement that that is what it is. I wonder when the one on Jepp Hill was taken away? This one at Sough must have been a very late contender for removal, unless the box had been re-purposed for some other use.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped...... Full of information. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”