FEBRUARY ODDS AND ENDS

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

FEBRUARY ODDS AND ENDS

Post by Stanley »

FEBRUARY ODDS AND ENDS

It's over four months since I finished writing the series of articles about religion and our old church. At that time I was losing my sight due to cataracts and wanted to make sure that it didn't affect the articles. I'm pleased to tell you that two operations and four months later and I have fighter pilot vision once more. Modern science and the NHS are wonderful!
I've enjoyed reading the articles each week and a thought struck me this week. You may have noticed that there is a madcap scheme to spend money on 'Brand Pendle', a good example of marketing gone mad in my opinion. In all the news reports nobody seems to have recognised that Pendle Borough Council didn't exist until 1974 and yet this seems to have taken precedence over the ancient history of the villages that make up the district. No mention in particular of Barnoldswick which has written evidence supporting its existence since Roman times. I think we should start a counter-campaign for 'Brand Barlick'! In marketing terms a rich local history like Barlick's trumps all the inspired copy-writing about Pendle which inevitably degenerates into the dreaded Pendle Witches, a serious piece of history but which attracts odd balls and some very debatable 'facts'. Remember that even Nelson didn't exist as an incorporated borough until 1890.
I'm pleased to see that the Thursday and Saturday markets in the Town Square seem to have taken off despite scaremongering politicians complaining about congestion and parking. When was there ever a 'parking problem' in Barlick beyond that created by officious traffic wardens seeking to get the revenue up? I think they should think again instead of jeopardising a brilliant initiative which can do the town nothing but good. If anything puts visitors off more than anything else it's complaints about car parking.
The only dark cloud I can see at the moment is the number of empty shops. I don't agree with taking them over and plastering the front with pictures of a politician, the aim should be to reduce business rates for start-up enterprises and encourage newcomers to take over. One of the glories of Barlick is the thriving private shops giving employment and generating profit which stays in the town. Once again I urge you all to support them, you'd be surprised how much cheaper they can be than the Cathedrals of Choice!
We've all seen the problems that can be caused by lack of maintenance of culverts and watercourses in the last few weeks so a word of thanks to Pendle Borough who are doing a good job of monitoring the danger points in the town. That's right Lads! Stanley is taking notice!
So, the message is I am back in the saddle, clear eyed and bushy tailed and I shall continue to do my best to engage your attention once a week at least! Thanks for sticking with me and for all the feedback I get, it's appreciated.

Local traders at the Saturday market.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Re: FEBRUARY ODDS AND ENDS

Post by David Whipp »

Although it's not been called 'Brand Barlick', we've been promoting the town as the friendly market town since we produced the glossy brochures and Visit Barnoldswick website a couple of years ago.

At the time, I justified the strapline by explaining that we were a busy market place with all the independent shops.

Now we have an open air market as well, the friendly market town is a very fitting description for Barnoldswick.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and the image restored. It's not clear yet whether the market will reappear now that the flagging of the Town Square is almost finished.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There's a new website under construction too, the old 'Visit Barnoldswick' site hasn't been updated for a few years now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The Visit Barnoldswick site failed with a security certificate error from memory which is a relatively easy fix. They were told that it was a massive coding problem so was abandoned.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I also heard the platform it's hosted in is now obsolete (probably just needed an update) and the person who originally set it up is no longer available. I believe the cert expiry was the result of no one being available to update it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, I asked on behalf of Bosom Friends as I needed to update our page on the site. Jo told me that there was no one available to fix the site. As far as I could tell it only needed an SSL cert sorting on the hosting site which is a formality, it is with our hosting company anyway. Tick a few boxes and job done.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Be interesting to see if the replacement stands the test of time.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think back to the original unofficial Barlick.com site which was so dire it spurred Doc to start Oneguy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped.... David Whipp was right and the volunteer teams have done wonders for promoting the town.
However, once more we go into bad times in terms of the economy. Now is the time to support our local shops, we need them more than ever. Everywhere where the supermarkets get a monopoly they will put prices up!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”