SLOW COOKING

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

SLOW COOKING

Post by Stanley »

SLOW COOKING

I always get a bit of a shock when I realise that September looms and summer is almost over. We have had a wonderful year, a good Spring with no late frosts and high winds to damage the blossom before it set and we escaped all the high temperatures and thunderstorms. It has been a good growing season and we can look forward to wonderful crops of fruit and vegetables.
I'm writing this towards the end of July and at the moment my meals are mainly salads but my mind is coming round to winter cooking. I have another thought at the back of my mind as well. I'm sure you've all noticed that the price of basic ingredients has gone up faster than inflation and wages are falling behind. Time to remind you all of the benefits of cheap food and slow cooking.
Have you noticed that the supermarkets never sell cheap cuts of meat? If so, you are mistaken because they do but as ingredients of expensive ready made meals. The food processors love cheap meat and the only place you can buy the economical cuts is at your old-fashioned butcher. He loves selling things like shin beef, oxtail, neck end of lamb and skirt because when he buys a carcass he has to sell all of it! You'll get a pleasant surprise when you cook the meat because it has more flavour than anything the supermarket sells. The trick is to cook it slowly.
Our ancestors knew all about slow cooking and using cheap meat. They also understood that cooking thoroughly was the best way to make the meat safe even if they knew nothing of microbes. They started a good stew first thing in the morning and left it on a slow stove all day. By the time they came home from work, dinner was ready! Today, unless you have a solid fuel stove you have to invest in a slow cooker, you'll save the cost in no time and give yourself a huge saving in time.
Do me a favour and try this. Take your biggest pan, put a splash of olive oil in and plenty of chopped onions and cook until soft. Then drop in some cheap meat, anything will do, cut into bite sized pieces. Cook fairly quickly until the meat has coloured, put in a drop of water and a splash of vinegar and then fill the pan with any vegetables you like. Pop it on the stove or in the slow cooker and leave it alone all day. It doesn't need to be boiling, it will cook even at low temperatures. When you come back at night you will be greeted by a lovely smell, this means that your stew is cooked thoroughly and ready for dishing up. Then work out how much it has cost and compare with ready made meals. I promise you will be converted and you have the benefit of knowing exactly what you are eating.

The best stew in the world!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Re: SLOW COOKING

Post by LizG »

I bought beef cheek the other day. I've never cooked it before but I'm thinking this might be it.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The slower it is cooked and the lower the temperature the better it will be..... I cook mine below boiling point for at least for or five hours....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our £20.00 slow cooker is the main implement in our house for meat preparation. Cant beat a 5 minute prep in the pan and then coming home to "job done". If you stick a ham joint in there it just falls off the bone and makes plenty of stock for follow on meals such as pea and ham soup, you can chuck the dumplings in as well. Minimum effort, best tasting grub you will get.
Ian
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I use my slow cooker loads. A favourite is ox tail cooked the day before, then the following day spoon off the fat and re-heat slowly. I agree with Stanley - the cheaper meats have far more flavour.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely, nice to know others have the same opinion and tastes. Thanks for responding.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Seven years later I am still a fan of cheap cuts and slow cooking. There is no better way of feeding yourself with the best nutrition and the lowest cost. The ready made meals in the supermarket are a con trick.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Nice to see a post from MOH on a thread. I miss seeing what she made for her tea.

I use my slow cooker quite a bit, but pile it with tea towels to make it into a 'less slow' cooker. It's surprising what you can throw in and still get a decent meal.

It was MOH's recommendation that persuaded me to get a Halogen Oven - or rather the first of the three or four I've had. They only last a couple of years, and it's cheap enough to get a new one rather than a new element. They are good for some things.

Now let's get to the point. :smile: I've been watching a chap from Barrow in Furness on Youtube who calls himself the Baldy Food Guy. He does comparisons between products- e.g. Morrisons v Hollands pies. He's hyper active and is expanding his repertoire by getting a Ninja Air Fryer. I wondered if anyone had used one. I think I remember Cathy mentioning them a while ago?

The chips look so good it might be dangerous to get one though. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

The Air Fryer would have been Marilyn.

I still use my slow cooker for soups , mainly in winter.
Even tho summer is almost here, I’m missing having a stock of soup in the freezer.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I sometimes think about an air fryer, and then I come to my senses and get the big cast iron Dutch oven out.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped again. I still hate supermarket ready cooked meals!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I once asked the lady in the butchers at a large supermarket for some round end of neck, she looked at me like I’d just landed, so I said I wanted something to put in broth, she had no idea whatsoever what I was talking about.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly.... That's why you should never buy your meat at a supermarket.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Stanley wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 09:30 Exactly.... That's why you should never buy your meat at a supermarket.
Don’t think she understood the word broth either.
Gloria
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Gloria wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 10:16 Don’t think she understood the word broth either.
We used to call that 'neck end' and it featured often in my childhood. It was also known by the less attractive name 'scrag end'.
That may have contributed to its decline. It was cheap - but with the meat to bone ratio probably it wasn't a good bargain. It made memorable hotpot though. :smile:

I would say the only place to have a chance of getting it would now be Morrisons. Tesco have closed the manned (womanned) butcher's counter and the fresh fish, and the rotisserie too.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have a good butchers in Longridge, Andertons,
Gloria
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Gloria wrote: 30 Apr 2023, 12:18 We have a good butchers in Longridge, Andertons,
Indeed - this looks like a vegetarian's nightmare. :smile:
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was told not long ago that most oxtails go for rendering as offal. Like neck end, it makes wonderful broth.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”