Stanley's View

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Stanley's View

Post by Stanley »

STANLEY'S VIEW

Forgive me for using my time this week for personal matters. So many people ask me how my eyes are after the little surprise in June when I suddenly went blind in my right eye. It was a detached retina by the way. I've had to learn new lessons and it struck me that the decisions I have made might be of general interest. Life is all about change and how we deal with them directly affects our happiness.
The first thing to say is that the surgeon did a good job, I have my sight back, it is distorted but may improve over the next few months. The consequence is that I see double! This has meant that reading is so difficult that I have decided to give up reading for pleasure until the situation improves. Talk about a life change! Anyone who knows me is aware that I have always been a reader and I have to admit that at the moment there is a big hole in my life. As always, the only way out is to look on the bright side! You may also be aware that another of my interests is playing in the shed making steam engines and repairing things for people. At first things were so bad that I couldn't see well enough to function with my toys and I think I got to the stage where I was frightened of going in and finding that I was right and had lost another of my loves.
As you know, I have often bemoaned the fact that kids seem to spend too much time in front of screens when they could be out there roaming the fields and getting dirty. In consequence I have never been a video watcher on the computer but as what had been my reading time hung heavy on my hands I decided to see how I got on with You-tube! It was the best thing I have done for a long time. I found out that, amongst other things that interest me, there were some marvellous blokes out there putting up videos of what they do in their sheds. Watching these triggered off an itch and to get to the point, I went back into the workshop and found I could function perfectly well in there as long as I had a good magnifying glass to hand for reading fine scales. So, for the first time in two years I am getting my hands dirty and loving every minute of it. By the way, writing is no problem as I can make the letters on the screen larger, no danger of these pieces drying up.
The bottom line is a lesson for all of us. Even though things look bad there is usually a way out if we are flexible and accept reality. No point regretting what you can't do, concentrate on what is possible. I refuse to go into a decline, who knows, in a few months things could be a lot better!

There may yet be more of these!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Stanley's View

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and image restored.
Seven years later I still have distorted vision in my right eye, the one that went blind. It's a bugger but I have learned to live with it. I think that's the bottom line, you have to live with things as they are. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Well done Stanley, that’s a positive attitude to have.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's either that or go under Gloria. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`You'll have to live with it' seems to be the prognosis whenever I see the doctor! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Depressing isn't it Peter! Never mind, we are both still alive and functioning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've learned to live with my problems and as you will know am back to reading and working in the shed but I have to be careful and accept the fact I can't see properly. The problem is still distortion in the right eye and double vision in the way my brain handles images. It can't be cured with correction lens. Still, I am managing and not going into a decline! I recommend you all do the same! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”