A BIT OF A WHINGE

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

A BIT OF A WHINGE

Post by Stanley »

A BIT OF A WHINGE

I note that there has been another attack on my personal freedom. There is a move to ban smoking in public spaces, specifically in parks. I'm sure that most of you know that I am a pipe smoker, really enjoy the habit and as far as I can tell it hasn't done me the slightest bit of harm. My mind goes back to the days when the Wild Bunch met regularly up on the double park bench at Letcliffe provided for us by Colin Patten when he was in charge at Parks and Leisure. Billy Parsons and I would sit there smoking our pipes while Big Jack kept us company and as far as I know we never harmed or offended anyone. By the way I met Billy on the town the other day and he is in wonderful condition despite his 90 plus years. I told him that he is the target I am aiming for.
My complaint is based on the fact that all the anti-smoking legislation is based on cigarette smoking and it might surprise you to hear that I support it in the main. I used to smoke cigarettes and know how bad they are for you. However, nobody has ever proved that pipe smoking is as dangerous as cigarettes. Think of the number of old cocks you knew who enjoyed their pipe all their lives. The most common reaction I get if anyone gets a whiff of Condor is that it's a lovely scent and reminds them of someone long gone.
From what I understand about 'passive smoking' and its effects on non-smokers it is only dangerous if it is in high concentrations, such as a pub or a restaurant. That's the reason why the walls in the old pubs used to turn yellow. I'm all in favour of prohibiting smoking in such places both for the clients and for the protection of staff who have to work in those conditions but hold on a bit, in a public space with a breeze blowing? How about the concentration of incense smoke in a Roman Catholic church or smoke from a barbecue, both proven to be as dangerous, if not more so, than smoking.
Can we please have a bit of common sense. A pipe smoking pensioner on a park bench is not a menace to public health or a drag on the NHS. It's a strange world where something as artificial and unproven as 'E' cigarettes are deemed lawful but smoking pure tobacco leaves is not. Note that I say pure because most of the ill-effects of cigarettes stems from the additives to help the tobacco burn and possibly the burning cigarette paper. Good tobacco is just that, dried leaves with perhaps some molasses or other natural substance included in the blend. It would make sense to acknowledge that there is a difference and exempt us crumblies from both the ban and the punitive tax rates. We've done our share for the country and deserve a bit of thought in our old age!

A danger to public health?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Re: A BIT OF A WHINGE

Post by plaques »

50 years ago my uncle used to smoke some brand of Navy twist. While it was in the packet the smell was wonderful but as soon as you set fire to it the stench was atrocious. You could always pinpoint where he was sat in a cinema by the blue haze and the ring of tolerance that other people gave him. A little bit like the photo of yourself on the park bench. He managed to get into his late 80,s before he succumbed to dementia or was it blue haze poisoning. Either way, a lovely chap as long as he didn't actually light his pipe.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some tobaccos are foul, I'll agree with that and I wouldn't smoke them but I can assure you that Condor, Bruno and my old deceased favourite, Escudo, smelt lovely second-hand. A lot depends on the type of pipe and how it is treated as well. I have used Falcon pipes for years because they are so easy to keep clean and sweet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I agree with you Stanley, you shouldn't have to live in someone else's bubble. If you're happy and not hurting anyone, live your own way.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy but I'm afraid it's not a battle that can be won. Some people flood the house with artificial chemical scents but I prefer the smell of freshly burned herbs..... Bit like the Catholic Church and other religions....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and even though I have now stopped smoking I stand behind what I said seven years ago.
Image restored, I still miss Billy Parsons.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped and once again, even though my pipe is long gone I stand by what I said about pipe smoking. I am still aiming to emulate Billy, three years to go until 90!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

What made you give up your pipe Stanley?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a dream one night that I was laid in bed in hospital fighting for breath and it frightened me so much that when I got up the following morning I stopped smoking just like that. Nobody believed I could do it and my doctor was particularly impressed. Nowhere near as impressed as I was! Funnily enough, my mate Billy Parsons stopped in exactly the same way at about the same age. Perhaps it's something proper pipe smokers do.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

My late friend told me of his experience in hospital after a heart attack. He said it was all peaceful and quiet with a nice blue light, no pain from his arthritis. A figure floated towards him and said well Mr Rxxxx how are you feeling. Oh bloody hell I'm still alive.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sometimes takes something like that Stanley. Well done for sticking with it.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 12 May 2023, 09:08 I got up the following morning I stopped smoking just like that.
I had a similar experience. It reinforces my idea that smoking is as much a psychological addiction as a physical one. When your brain decides you can do without it - then you can. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whatever. I think I have had the best of both worlds. I enjoyed the tobacco for almost eighty years and now I'm enjoying not smoking. (No sign I ever smoked.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Stanley's View”